The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default injury caused by Miracle collar. And exp with strain to neck/atlas type injuries?

So it figures 2 days before the pre-purchase exam that this would happen

My young gelding is a mild cribber and wears the French-style cribbing strap (one strap; very wide – indentation under throatlatch/jugular region) . Somehow her lost his strap.

So while waiting for a new strap of that strap to come in; he wears a miracle collar. Well lo and behold I take him out of his stall last night and there is a lump on the right side of his neck. Its very hard and about the size of a half dollar right behind the jaw bone, below the ear , a little above the throat latch area.

I take a picture and show the vet. I check the other side and it looks normal. He is eating normally and moving his head laterally okay. But will not let you touch it.

The vet is skeptical that it is bone, but I am very sure it is.

Well she calls just now. It is the very lower part of his atlas has popped out of place along with some inflammation and cartilage. Who knew this could happen. She adjusted him (vet has extensive chiro exp. and the chiro vet I use was in agreement). Both said he will be sore for some time but will be okay and to put DMSO, Furasone mix on for the next few days and then call chiro in 2 weeks.

Has anyone else had experience with this happening. Either with a miracle collar or otherwise – I have never seen anything popped/subluxated (sp?) that way before….

God knows what this means for the pre-purchase exam….
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

Quote Originally Posted by Keep1Belle View Post
    So it figures 2 days before the pre-purchase exam that this would happen

My young gelding is a mild cribber and wears the French-style cribbing strap (one strap; very wide – indentation under throatlatch/jugular region) . Somehow her lost his strap.

So while waiting for a new strap of that strap to come in; he wears a miracle collar. Well lo and behold I take him out of his stall last night and there is a lump on the right side of his neck. Its very hard and about the size of a half dollar right behind the jaw bone, below the ear , a little above the throat latch area.

I take a picture and show the vet. I check the other side and it looks normal. He is eating normally and moving his head laterally okay. But will not let you touch it.

The vet is skeptical that it is bone, but I am very sure it is.

Well she calls just now. It is the very lower part of his atlas has popped out of place along with some inflammation and cartilage. Who knew this could happen. She adjusted him (vet has extensive chiro exp. and the chiro vet I use was in agreement). Both said he will be sore for some time but will be okay and to put DMSO, Furasone mix on for the next few days and then call chiro in 2 weeks.

Has anyone else had experience with this happening. Either with a miracle collar or otherwise – I have never seen anything popped/subluxated (sp?) that way before….

God knows what this means for the pre-purchase exam….
    That really can't happen. It may have looked that way from the swelling but the bone itself doesn't just move out of place.

Wow, a Miracle Collar caused soreness.

Shocker.

Is the lump gone now?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Are you meaing to say his atlas was displaced by 4-5 inches so you could feel it? If you do, then the horse would be dead and no chiropractor could have fixed it even if there when it happened.

Subluxation is a matter of millimeters. What did the horse's radiographs look like? Did it show dislocation?

If the horse isn't lame and the prospective buyers know the horse is a cribber I do not see this changing the outcome of the ppe. Is the lump gone? Cysts and scar tissue can feel like bone.

The vet said the lower tip axis/atlas I not by paperwork to confirm which one was pulled out of place a few millimeters

The lump itself is large but the head of it was few inches down from the ear and across from jaw/ throat latc area. According to te vet The hard lump/mass was caused from cartilege and swelling.

48 hours later. Swelling has dimished by 50%. But horse is still very sore if you touch area - surface level touching not pressure being applied.

Chiro who is also a vet agreed with vets assessment.

My main ? Is recovery time. Chiro said he is really sore now, so she will wait 2 to 3 weeks to adjust him and ride him. But Vet thinks he should be okay with a few days off...thoughts/experience?
    Last edited by Keep1Belle; Dec. 15, 2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: clarity and spelling
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

Honestly the horse will probably tell you. The swelling will most likely go down quickly and when the horse is not sore anymore the vet will probably clear him for riding. I bet it won't take long. It's probably more of a pressure injury like a bandage bow. Looks bad but really it's just edema. Jingles!