The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Annandale View Post
    wooo I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but... 10-15 acres in that area is going to be HARD to find! Most people keep their horses on much smaller acreage. I would venture a guess that the fancy schmancy barns are lucky to get a 15 acre lot.
    Yes, I figured it out, lol.
    I've only ever lived in New York and Texas. In NY, the 8 acres we have now is quite small for the boarding facility we run (and even then, we only have around 10 boarders). And in TX, most people with horses/barns would consider 20 acres small! Haha.

I think some people are taking what I'm saying the wrong way, though. I'm not just looking for a backyard barn for my horses. Once I retire, I'd love to have a "fancy schmancy" barn, as you put it. Yes, I'm aware that it's more the reputation/trainers than the property that make a barn 'fancy,' but we have a reletively fancy show barn now, so I'd like to continue on to have my own in the future.

I live in Mesa. Mesa and Gilbert are much horseier than Tempe and not far. For boarding. Look at Marly Farms, very well kept with great turnout, three nice arenas, one is covered.
    I trained with a jumping trainer in Mesa for several years who is wonderful. I think he has a few hunters but focus is more on jumpers. If you'd like his contact info you can PM me.
    You're looking at a great time. The prices are lower than they've been in a decade. I think there are even a few small properties in our neighborhood, 1/2-1 acre for sale, around Broadway/Linsdey and Val Vista.
    Property might be high but alfalfa is cheap and if you live in Mesa or Gilbert, irrigation is practically free so with good management you can have some nice, year round pasture.

Quote Originally Posted by LvdSprtHorse View Post
    You need to pay very close attention to how the property is set up. Make sure every inch is usable and the house and front area isn't taking up half your land. I have almost, but under 3 acres and I have a 14 stall pipe barn, and a row of three more stalls detached. I have four pastures, a 90x120 arena, and a decent sized round pen and I use every single inch of land I have to make this work. Ide say for what you want, you should be looking at a minimum of 3 1/2 acres, 5 would be good. The 12 acre property i referred to earlier had over 60 horses on it at one point. No turnout, obviously. If you can offer decent turnout, you will be ahead of the game. You can still find a decent amount of 5 acre properties in the Gilbert/Queen Creek area, and the further out you go the more economical it is. The properties are just as nice, if not nicer and newer than in the more centrally located areas of the valley. I wish I had bought a little further out looking back on it. Prices can vary wildly in the same town just depending on what side youre on. For instance, I'm in chandler ( barely ) about a mile from the Gilbert border. The house right across from me was a fixer upper with 1 1/2 acre and just sold ( quickly) for 330k .. The undeveloped 5 acres around the corner is on the market for 1 million. But if I drive 15 minutes to the far side of Gilbert , its much cheaper, and the area is very nice and quiet, while I live across the street from and airport lol. Look in the power and chandler heights area specifically.
    I am in the Power Rd./Chandler Heights area and, when we were looking, we didn't find the prices to be a whole lot different there than for the properties we looked at across from the airport (the house across from us was going for over $1million at the time, and received an offer of $900,000 that was rejected, and the five acre property down the street was listed for $2.5M). We would actually have preferred to be closer to the airport since our plane is based there, lol. Also, most of the undeveloped land around the airport is zoned commercial because of the noise overlays from the traffic patterns and that may be affecting prices. We have someone near us asking a crazy amount because of the commercial potential, but developers aren't buying right now.

One thing you need to consider is the number of animals permitted per acre. Maricopa County allows 6 1/2 (go figure!) on 2 1/2 acres, but Queen Creek allows something like twenty. Gilbert is also strict on the numbers. A special permit may be needed for boarding. We had a neighbor complain about my five horses and I had to take down documentation to prove that they all belonged to me.

The CPR's for our neighborhood actually forbid boarding or any commercial activity but it does go on. People tend to turn a blind eye so long as it doesn't disrupt the neighborhood. There was a successful protest against a pre-school at the end of our street. Queen Creek is a lot easier to deal with if you are serious about taking in boarders.

That's surprising to me akro, but I do love that area so I can see why the prices are similar to here.

Good point about the special use permit as well. I have one that allows me up to 25 horses, but many of my neighbors do not. There are three other small boarding barns in my neighborhood who rely on our solidarity as a horsey neighborhood with people who don't complain.

Bigeq, I think your hope for a big fancy barn this side of town is a feasible one if done right. There have only been two ( one foreclosed. The other ,Marley, being mentioned) just go in with your eyes open. I know the owners of Marley and that was a fully set up functioning property when they bought it ( Tierra Farm back then) and the spent probably close to a mil on renovations alone. They also have a feed store on site to make it more profitable. Standard for board out here without training is in the 225 to 275 range. Maybe a touch higher for some of the really high end places. Keep that in mind as well. Horses do not border on being a religion out here. Most people have them strictly as a hobby and our hunter/jumper community would be considered extremely small compared to places back east. All things to consider.. good luck!!

That's surprising to me akro, but I do love that area so I can see why the prices are similar to here.

Good point about the special use permit as well. I have one that allows me up to 25 horses, but many of my neighbors do not. There are three other small boarding barns in my neighborhood who rely on our solidarity as a horsey neighborhood with people who don't complain.

Bigeq, I think your hope for a big fancy barn this side of town is a feasible one if done right. There have only been two ( one foreclosed. The other ,Marley, being mentioned) just go in with your eyes open. I know the owners of Marley and that was a fully set up functioning property when they bought it ( Tierra Farm back then) and the spent probably close to a mil on renovations alone. They also have a feed store on site to make it more profitable. Standard for board out here without training is in the 225 to 275 range. Maybe a touch higher for some of the really high end places. Keep that in mind as well. Horses do not border on being a religion out here. Most people have them strictly as a hobby and our hunter/jumper community would be considered extremely small compared to places back east. All things to consider.. good luck!!

Our immediate neighbor actually turned down an offer of $1.4M a little later on! He was crazy to do so and won't get anything close to that now.

My two horses that are currently in training are boarded at Marley and I have had horses there for over ten years :-) Board at any of the major barns that I am familiar with is more like $375 +/-. We have three barns/trainers very close together - Marley, Renae Coates' place and Sue Gilmore (who is now at the barn on the corner of Riggs and Val Vista.

It is hard for non-show barns to do well financially around here because we have a bad combination of high land prices and relatively low wages. Most were started many years ago when land prices were really low. Our neighbor sold land that he had bought for around $2,000 for over $3M!

The last time I spoke to shea and Jessica about board ( granted when sue was still there) board for the public was 275, before any add on services. Maybe that's changed since then? I believe when it was Tierra it was private and didn't allow public boarding options, but clearly you would know that better than I if you were there then .That's also what board was at Sandhills before it became Houg. I know that to be fact as I boarded there at one point. For some reason I was under the impression Renea spent some time at Marley before Paris got there but maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not familiar with what barn Sue Gilmore is based out of now. I have a friend who rides with her but haven't spoken to her since they had to move from Houg. When I think of big ( public ) boarding barns around here the only two that jump out at me are Houg ( formerly ) and Marley. Crossroads also comes to mind but I was under the impression they were also private and required enrollment in the training or lesson program. But then again I don't keep too particularly up to date since I'm not a boarder.

The last time I spoke to shea and Jessica about board ( granted when sue was still there) board for the public was 275, before any add on services. Maybe that's changed since then? I believe when it was Tierra it was private and didn't allow public boarding options, but clearly you would know that better than I if you were there then .That's also what board was at Sandhills before it became Houg. I know that to be fact as I boarded there at one point. For some reason I was under the impression Renea spent some time at Marley before Paris got there but maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not familiar with what barn Sue Gilmore is based out of now. I have a friend who rides with her but haven't spoken to her since they had to move from Houg. When I think of big ( public ) boarding barns around here the only two that jump out at me are Houg ( formerly ) and Marley. Crossroads also comes to mind but I was under the impression they were also private and required enrollment in the training or lesson program. But then again I don't keep too particularly up to date since I'm not a boarder.
    Prices vary according to the size of the stalls. The larger ones in the main mare motel are $375 and I believe the larger indoor stalls may be $400.

I was in training with Sue when Marley was Tierra Farms. There was an Arabian trainer there also. Renae has never been based out of Marley, but had several of her clients' horses there for a while, after Paris had moved in. My jumper is still at Marley and I believe a couple of others are also. Paris has recently moved to the Red Mountain area.

There is a fairly big public barn on the NE corner of Power and Chandler Heights - also owned by a former baseball player, lol, but I don't know much about it, other than they lease my neighbor's pastures for turn-out.

A friend of mine has just started a small boarding place just across Power Rd. that now has one of the best arenas around.

One of my neighboring barns is also owned by a former baseball player. That's three I know of now, lol. How funny. When did Paris move?? I knew Michelle had started up her own deal but I hadn't heard about Paris. So is it just Quinn( I think that's her name) doing the jumpers at Marley now?

I'm curious about these barns owned by baseball players... Not because I want to move my horse (I'm building a barn for my horses in Tucson now) but because I'm curious as a horsebackrider who is also a baseball fan. Anyone want to PM me to satisfy my curiosity if you don't want to put names in the thread?

Also, the prices y'all are throwing out there make me SO glad I live in Tucson, where you can get many more acres for much less money. Even if the job opportunities are less diverse.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

The one in my neighborhood isnt really a horsey person. Hes into aviation and his wife is a horse person so I think they just rolled all that into one since our neighborhood is next to a small airport. I'm not familiar with the other farm by akro.

Marley is owned by Shea Hillenbrand and his wife Jessica who are huge animal advocates all around. They do a ton of rescue work with horses, dogs , cats , pretty much everything. They also work with children. Very nice altruistic people.

The one in my neighborhood isnt really a horsey person. Hes into aviation and his wife is a horse person so I think they just rolled all that into one since our neighborhood is next to a small airport. I'm not familiar with the other farm by akro.

Marley is owned by Shea Hillenbrand and his wife Jessica who are huge animal advocates all around. They do a ton of rescue work with horses, dogs , cats , pretty much everything. They also work with children. Very nice altruistic people.
    Yeah, thanks to Shea and Jessica, I keep coming home with more animals ;-)

Paris moved at the end of last month. Michelle and Quinn are both still training there, plus some horses trailer over to Renae's place and we have a couple of dressage trainers coming in a few times a month.

One of the owners in your neighborhood is related to a guy who used to play for my favorite football team in England :-)

Chandler may be small, but it is a pretty busy GA airport and does a lot of aerobatics training. It is pretty cool because one of the practice boxes is directly south of Marley so I can watch the aerobatics guys while I am riding :-)

Quote Originally Posted by akrogirl View Post
    Chandler may be small, but it is a pretty busy GA airport and does a lot of aerobatics training. It is pretty cool because one of the practice boxes is directly south of Marley so I can watch the aerobatics guys while I am riding :-)
    Last year air show season was during the trial period I had with my horse, and we're next to the base. We had all kinds of fake bombing runs happening while I was riding. Including "kabooms" and smoke.

My horse is literally bombproof.

Too bad he's afraid of bunnies.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Don't forget that our barn, Fox Mask Farm, in Gilbert is a h/j boarding facility and is in the same general neighborhood as Sue, Renae and Marley.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
    I actually wasn't planning on moving for a few years (seeing as I'm not 18) and was just getting an idea of where to look for prices), but we found a really awesome place in Queen Creek that my grandma (who I live with/run a barn with now) wants to look at, LOL.

Netg, I'm thinking they should go about small animal proofing horses, too. ;D

If anyone still has suggestions for good barns for non-boarders, please keep them coming. I'm looking at Fall 2011 enrollment in ASU's graduate public affairs school.

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I hope it is ok if I ask some questions on this thread too. My husband is leaving the military and we are moving next month to the Phoenix area too. It is all happening very fast, and we are trying to figure out everything to do. His job will be in the Glendale area, and we hope to find a house somewhere around there that possible has about 1.5 acres of land to keep the horses.
    I saw on this thread that most hunter jumper barns are in the eastern side of Phoenix. Since he wants to stay close to his job, we are hoping to stay within 15-20 miles of the Glendale area or a 30 min commute. Does anyone know if there are any jumper barns close to there?
    Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a young horse trainer? Thank you all so much for any help. I am feeling very overwelmed right now!

Californiamartinez-Jack Adams is up that way I think. Not sure if he's still teaching, but someone I hunt with rode with him in the past & she has/had a jumper.

While they're eventers, Frederic Bouland and Alice Sarno are on that side of town. He's more or less near the 101 & 40th St and she's up at Carefree Hwy and 7th Ave.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Quote Originally Posted by Californiamartinez View Post
    Hey everyone,

I hope it is ok if I ask some questions on this thread too. My husband is leaving the military and we are moving next month to the Phoenix area too. It is all happening very fast, and we are trying to figure out everything to do. His job will be in the Glendale area, and we hope to find a house somewhere around there that possible has about 1.5 acres of land to keep the horses.
    I saw on this thread that most hunter jumper barns are in the eastern side of Phoenix. Since he wants to stay close to his job, we are hoping to stay within 15-20 miles of the Glendale area or a 30 min commute. Does anyone know if there are any jumper barns close to there?
    Also, does anyone have a suggestion for a young horse trainer? Thank you all so much for any help. I am feeling very overwelmed right now!
    You will be pretty much due west of West world. It would help to know exactly where in the Glendale area he will be working. You might want to check out the Maricopa County Assessor's website. The GIS maps are very useful in that you will be able to identify horse properties within your chosen area, check the acreage, and also see what the properties have been selling for. The top hunter trainers closest to you will be in Scottsdale or Cave Creek, but you might be able to find a suitable property somewhere in the middle. It is not unusual for riders to have 30 - 40 minute commutes to their chosen barn. If you can get your husband to move to the east side of Glendale, he will be going against the worst of the commuting traffic and have an easier drive, plus put you closer to the main barns ;-)

The trainers I know and trust to work with young horses are in the southeast part of the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by rivenoak View Post
    While they're eventers, Frederic Bouland and Alice Sarno are on that side of town. He's more or less near the 101 & 40th St and she's up at Carefree Hwy and 7th Ave.
    I am in the same area as Alice. It's all horse property up here, but to get "in to town", it's about 20 minutes down I-17 to Happy Valley. Getting to Glendale can be a 20-40 minute drive, depending on where in Glendale you are. If you are off the 101 and I-17, it's going to be 20-30. Just as a base line, to get to Cabela's (Glendale Ave/101), it takes me a good 40 minutes. Hope this helps as a reference! Please PM if you have any questions! I've lived in the north, northeast, and northwest areas before.

Thank you all for the information. It really helps to have this information.

@rivenoak- thank you for those suggestions. I will definitely be looking into them. I can't believe I did not even research eventing trainers. That is a great piece of advice.

@akrogirl- He will be working in Glendale, at W Camelback Rd and N 53rd kind of right off the 60. That is a good point about going against the commute. That will make convincing him to live that way easier. He doesn't mind a 30-40 minute commute if it means getting a nice house with a little land for my horses and his cars. I really like the cave creek area, but he is hesitant since google maps says 1 hr+ in traffic. Do you think that is the case?

@jumpqh- Thanks for the point of cabelas, his work actually seems a little closer so that is promising. Do you find that to be accurate for traffic times?

Again, thank you for the suggestions. After 5 years in the military and 6 moves, we are ready to get settled into a nice horse community and not move for a while!