The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Christmas gift idea for a child who wants a pony

I just wanted to share an idea that came to me last week, and played out very well over the weekend.

My grand-daughter just turned three this weekend (yes, she is cursed with that December birthday business!). She told Santa she wanted a horse for Christmas. Santa furtively glanced at her parents, with a look that said, "Oh I am so sorry," and asked her sheepishly, "What ELSE do you want?"

Lexi replied that she would also like to have a pony!

Well, she is clearly too young for a REAL horse or pony of her own. So, of course, she gets lots of Breyers and a rocking horse, and she is already taking riding lessons.

But here is the idea that I wanted to share. We ALSO sent $$ to Sunkissed Acres, in Lexi's name, for a specific horse (Miss Scarlett). Now, Lexi knows she has a REAL horse. I even ghost-wrote a thank you letter from Miss Scarlett to Lexi, signed and included Scarlett's photo.

When she gets a little older, maybe we will sign up to sponsor a horse with a little $$ every month.

I liked it, and it played very well with my grand-daughter. Was a great way to give her a horse, and teach her not only about charity, but about being a responsible horse owner.

Great idea!

That was thinking out of the box ... of Christmas presents.

Neat, far reaching idea.

Now, you know you are eventually have to "pony up", don't you.

Very good idea and one I might have to steal for the DD though technically as of Jan. 1st she will own part of a horse.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Great idea! You are so lucky it floated, LMEqT would have never fallen for that, even at 3
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Great idea! You are so lucky it floated, LMEqT would have never fallen for that, even at 3
    I did fall for it, at two, with a pony the zoo photographer used and I got to see and "ride" each Sunday.
    He was "my" horse, but lived with the nice man.

I bet the KR made that kid's day and week and Christmas.

That is precious, Bluey. I think what KR did is great, hope that wasn't misunderstood. Since we live on a farm, LMEqT thought they were ALL hers until one of them was
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Thanks, Bluey -- and all. And yes, I am more than willing to "pony up" if she is still asking in a few years. Just want to be sure she is really ready.

In fact, I can hardly WAIT to "pony up."

I also loved that all of the "city friends" gave Lexi "fake" ponies -- you know, My Pretty Pony types with sparkle and wings and such. Which toy pony did she go for and cling to? The Breyer that looks just like my OTTB Cooper. She knew it was Cooper, too!

I also gave her a pink Carhartt barn coat, just like Nonni's (since her fashion-plate mommy sends her out here in fancy clothes that are not nearly warm enough for barn chores!).

She is not too young to learn about charity and compassion, either. She totally "got it" and is anxious to see Miss Scarlett feeling better soon!

We might even take an adventure to go visit Sunkissed Acres someday, when she is a bit older.

I wish they still did rocking horses like the one I got when I was four. This was sixty six years ago.
    BIG horse on heavy springs built into a frame. Was complete with "real" saddle and bridle with bit, real hair mane and tail. He could jog, trot fast (don't think he extended very much but...) and he could canter or gallop!!
    As much as I loved that horse I can't remember what finally happened to him but I sure remember the hours and hours I spent riding him.
    Any little horse person would love that horse.
    No telling what my poor Mother and Daddy paid for him.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

What a fantastic idea!!!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

King'sRansom - very cool idea!

And Pj: I'm way too old, but I want your childhood rocking horse in the worst way!!

Great idea! Us grandmothers have to introduce the horse idea really early in some cases....especially hard to do from 1800 miles away......but......
    my grandsons birthday is Thursday...he'll be two. His dad is my non-horsey son and the daughter in law is not a country child at all. I have already set aside a colt from my breeding that will be gelded this winter and will be nicely broke for a kid in about 4 more years...in time for him to come out and visit grandma before he starts to school that fall. Meanwhile he's getting a "Horse Book" on the computer with photos, e-mails, downloaded songs etc. My son just rolls his eyes.