The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help !! hard ground and sore feet !!!

So the ground here is frozen,frozen,frozen !!!!!!!

My guy is only shod up front and frankly I cant afford all arounds as it is.

Hes very sore walking, doesnt want to walk and when he does you can see it is painful for him.

Is there anything I can do ? Aside from messing with boots that are way expensive and frankly a pain in the rear !!
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

That sounds like a more serious problem than hard ground. I'd have a vet look at him, but if you can't afford shoes, I guess you can't afford a vet either.

You really think it could be more serious than that ? I mean hes fine when hes in his stall or walking in the grass.

The biggest issue was we had a ton of rain and they were turned out. It was dug up and then it froze and it froze solid with wind chill we havent been above 9 degrees in almost a week.

Oh, and just because I cant afford a 200.00 farrier bill every 5 weeks ( yes he gets done every 5 weeks ) doesnt mean I cant afford a 100.00 vet bill to come and look at him. Why do people jump to that here ?

Merry Christmas !!

Yes, have a vet out. That's not right that he is sore just from the ground being hard. I could see if he had shoes on and just had them pulled but that is not the case.

Having had a horse who went pretty lame on chopped up frozen ground, that could very well be the problem. I would give him some bute to help ease the soreness and you could pack his feet like you would for an abscess- something drawing, like a poultice, Epsom salts, Animal Lintex, that type of thing. It might help the soreness, but at least if you cushion it up enough, it will give him a little added protection.

Unfortunately, if his feet have gotten pretty bruised, it can be a long process to get him feeling 100% again, especially if this weather pattern persists. Only thing that helped my horse was shoes (he was barefoot, so I think we just did fronts) and taking him to Aiken for 2 months....one of those months he spent just hanging out getting better.

It may be worth a vet visit, if nothing else, they may have a better solution.

Have you looked for signs of stone bruising? If he stepped on something in particular (like a rock or a chunk of ice) on ANY of his feet, or even two of his feet, that could explain his unwillingness to walk.

If I were you I'd still have a vet out, but if it turns out to be just good ol' soreness, get yourself a can of Magic Cushion. Works wonders on foot soreness.

frozen rutty ground can be pretty painful.

Unless a vet finds something more interesting it seems you have 2 choices-put something on his feet or don't turn him out on frozen rutty ground.

I thought about packing with magic pack but since its his hind feet there isnt really anything to "hold" it in, but then hes not really moving much or swiftly for that matter so maybe it would work.

I know this happens every year with him but its usually only a day or two and then the ground at least gives a little or it snows but no such luck right now.

I did think about just wrapping him up really well to relieve and give some cushion...

Im thinking of an invention...my wheels are turning

I personally would have the vet out. I had my farrier remove my guys hind shoes a week ago, he was extremely sore up until two days ago. I have been putting turpentine/Keratex on his hind feet to "toughen" them up. But if he didn't have hinds and became sore? I would call the vet.

Do you do any special shoeing for him? Because even in NoVa, where the prices are already inflated due to area, I pay 125 for all around. Not jumping on your farrier or anything just asking

Quote Originally Posted by CanTango1 View Post
    I thought about packing with magic pack but since its his hind feet there isnt really anything to "hold" it in, but then hes not really moving much or swiftly for that matter so maybe it would work.
    It stays in there just fine. Especially if the horse isn't moving much. Try it.

If your horse has Insulin Resistance or another metabolic syndrome, cold weather will cause foot soreness. Ask me how I know. Explained in technical terms here: http://www.equinemedsurg.com/ir13.html

We have one who gets very foot sore in the cold and cannot deal with hard ground. He has Cavallo boots. Right now he's wearing them over his shoes and pads to keep snow balls out. Also, when he gets' foot sore and feeling crappy, we start soaking his hay despite the facts that it has already been tested as low sugar/carb and he has been maintaining well with it up til then.

Good luck with your guy.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

No special shoeing here, infact that 100.00 for fronts is for re-sets. Prone to pulling so hes the best that MY money can buy up here. I know hes expensive but he must be done every 5 weeks or he pulls them off. Its the first time this guy has done him and hes kept them on for 2 almost 3 weeks, believe I have had guys try to do him and they last 24 hours !!!! Im dreading the bill when he has to get new ones but it is what it is I guess.

I did try pulling his shoes last winter ( I dont ride in the winter) and that really just didnt work.

Hes always been barefoot behind and again this happens every year, just not to this extent.

You really think it could be more serious than that ?
    None of my horses are the tiniest bit sore on the extremely rough, frozen ground. They trot over it like it's nothing. So I would personally get the vet and farrier on board to find out what's going on. The horse shouldn't be that sore unless there's a reason (thin soles, poor shoeing, insulin resistance, short trim, etc.)

Magic Cushion XTreme is really good stuff. You can order it from SmartPak and get free shipping (check out the free shipping thread on Off Course.) Yesterday I used a canine code of SNOWFS25 and it ended up giving me 35% off everything, plus free shipping. It might be worth a try.

He may need sole packing and pads along with his shoes, if you are not able to pull them and use boots.

If it were me in the situation I would only turn the horse out into the arena or other soft footing area until you can get an answer on this. If he gets bruised and inflamed he could start abscessing. Durasole is great for hardening up soles.

If you cannot turn him out on soft footing for the time being, I would cut foam pads out of garden kneeling pads, fit them to the bottom of the foot and wrap with vetwrap and duct tape until you can get the vet/farrier out.

Good luck, it's no fun to deal with a sore horse.

I know hes expensive but he must be done every 5 weeks or he pulls them off. Its the first time this guy has done him and hes kept them on for 2 almost 3 weeks, believe I have had guys try to do him and they last 24 hours !!!!
    Is there any way you can post photos of these feet? Good, closeups with the camera down at ground level from the side and front?

Personally, I've seen horses get sore when a new farrier comes in and tries to shoe a horse so the shoes stay on. They end up short shoeing and kinking the heels in so they don't step them off. And yeah sure, the shoes stay on, but they make the horse extremely heel sore. I've seen it waaaaaaaaaaaay too many times. I've had it done to my own horse, and I've pulled a lot of of small shoes off big feet because the horse was sore. So based on the info in your post here, I'd be really curious to see the shoeing job.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    If your horse has Insulin Resistance or another metabolic syndrome, cold weather will cause foot soreness. Ask me how I know. Explained in technical terms here: http://www.equinemedsurg.com/ir13.html

Why are they always trying to sell something....?

This is the first I've heard this. Thanks for posting the link.

I would definitely try Magic Cushion- I love that stuff!

A note about Magic Cushion - the formula no longer contains capsacin, which was the main ingredient that acts as an anelgesic. Now it is only turpentine. It's good stuff, and I do like it, but don't think it is NEARLY as effective as it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbow View Post
    Why are they always trying to sell something....?
    Because those of us giving information away for free are busy looking for jobs.

Magic cushion, place a diaper or some other form of padding over it, vet wrap around that, then duct tape that, just like you would a horse with an abscess. The Magic Cushion will draw the inflammation out, the other stuff will give him a little protection. He'll look like a dork, but at least he'll feel a bit better.

And I feel your pain about the prices of farrier work around this area, especially good farrier work.

Our ground did get VERY frozen VERY fast. We went from pretty decent/mushy footing to very, very cold basically overnight (for those who aren't in this area). And if his turnout was chopped up at all, it is now probably sharp, hard, chewed up chunks of badness. I can see why he may be worse than normal.

Still may be good to talk with the farrier, see if he can offer solutions that can fit in your budget. At least talk to the vet and see what they have to say, as well. Having lived through this before (in exact same circumstances- footing was fine/mushy, then we got a really nasty, quick cold snap), I'm not as quick to feel like there is a bigger issue here, but it can be a lingering one.

Can you get some Hawthorne Sole Pack?

http://www.hawthorne-products.com/ca...?prodid=635861

The stuff is wonderful. It comes in single application pouches or a big tub, you stuff it into the feet-it squeezes into the cracks. I usually slap a piece of cardboard (from the packing box) over the Sole Pack and duct tape it on. It draws heat and cushions. The cardboard keeps the pack in the foot. The stuff also comes in a paint-on version which is really nice once you've gotten past the really ouchy stage you're in right now.

I have 6 bare feet here and today they are quite sore making their ways around the fields. Tonight I will paint them, tomorrow I will pack them. I actually said this morning that I wish we could get a foot of snow! Horrors. I have those awful frozen hoof prints all over everywhere and it makes me kookoo.

Good luck.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.