The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Purina Enrich 12

I will be moving in a few weeks, and the barn I will be boarding my horse at feeds Purina horse feeds. I am looking into which type of feed from Purina would be ideal for him. Right now I am considering Enrich 12.
    Perhaps you all could help me out by making reccomendations or sharing your experiences w/ this supplement.

Some info about my horse -
    He is a 4-y/o gelding, Thoroughbred/Saddlebred cross. Eventually destined for low level eventing. Currently out of work as he is being treated for ulcers, but should be starting to come back into work after another couple weeks, providing gastroscopy looks good. When in work, he is ridden about 5x/week, appx. 30-45min on the flat. Schooled over very small jumps no more than once/month. His workload will be increasing over the next year as there is added more physically demanding dressage work, longer trot and canter sets, gallops, and more jumping. He gets about 12 lbs daily of excellent quality timothy&alfalfa hay(I have not asked BO yet about the protein content of her hay, will be finding that out before I decide on anything hard and fast), and about 6 lbs of alfalfa cubes daily. Currently he is fed a very small ammount(about 1.5lbs) of a high protein(14/6/10, protein/fat/fiber) textured feed.

I would like a feed that is mainly supplemental to the nutrition he derives from forage, and that will help him to develop and mantain good musculature w/o making him hot or being too tough on his digestive system.

What do you think about Enrich 12?

I would like a feed that is mainly supplemental to the nutrition he derives from forage
    Hooray! This IMO is the only sensible way to look at horse nutrition.

I have used Purina Enrich, both the 12% and the 30%, for various horses for many years. I've been more than happy with them and think that ration balancers in general are really good choices (but not the only choice) for a lot of reasonably uncomplicated (nutrition-wise) animals.

Never had one become "hot" on it or develop any other problems, FWIW.

If you could get the hay tested, you'd know exactly what nutrients needed to be supplemented, but failing this (I realize it's not always practical) I think products like this are a great choice.
    Click here before you buy.

We love it. We were feeding the Enrich 32, but dropped down to the Enrich 12 because our hay is so rich this year that they did not need the extra protein. It is a great ration balancer and for many of our horses and ponies, all they need.

I am not a big "pellet" person, but I do love this product. Great for easy keepers/IR equines too. We mix the Enrich 12 with sweet feed for horses that need more.

Nothing at all wrong with the E12, especially since there is alfalfa in the picture.

You may find it's not enough calories even with 6lb a-cubes, but you can simply add more cubes if possible, or add some other form of non-grain calories (beet pulp, rice bran).

Rice bran is not "non-grain". Plenty of starch and carbs in there in addition to the fat . . .
    Click here before you buy.

It isn't a grain I didn't say a non-starch form of calories It does contain starches, but given the general limit of 2lb, it's not a great deal, especially in the grand scheme of what else is being fed

We feed the Enrich 12 to our Irish Draughts. The only problem is that my plump, picky eater doesn't like it. Therefore, I have to mix it with a cup of sweet feed. The others love it.