The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Is giving a certificate for my services too tacky?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- way too tacky. Opt to give them nothing and hope they understand.

8 7.02%
  • Give them a certificate- I'd be thrilled if my trainer did that!

103 90.35%
  • Other- see below.

3 2.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PurpleNylonAlter Guest

Default Client Christmas Present Advice- Too tacky?

OK. This hasnt been a great year for me monetarily speaking.

Christmas is right upon us. I cannot imagine not giving my customers something for the holidays. They're all such nice people and such a big part of my life.

Trouble is, hubby and I are struggling just to cover the immediate family this year present-wise, and well, I just cant afford to buy anything for my customers.

I'm sort of embarrassed.. I know they dont ride with me because of what I give them at Christmas time and that it shouldnt matter, but well.. it matters to me. Even at $5 a peice, its just more than I can spend.

As a last ditch effort.. I've considered giving them all a gift certificate of sorts.. for X amount off of any service of mine they want. (lesson, training, any horse show expense, whatever) Is this just too tacky? I am afraid that giving the gift of myself is just too tacky to tolerate.

But I want to give them SOMETHING... and its just about all I have.

Whats your take?

This hasn't been a great year monetarily for a lot of people, and that probably includes a few of your clients.

I'd be THRILLED with a gift certificate for something like that. Letting the client choose the service is a really great idea as well.

Two thumbs up.

As a client, that's something I would appreciate! I don't think it's tacky. You know they're going to continue to use you for services, so why not?

I think it's really good of you - very kind - to give something to your customers. As a client I know I certainly expect nothing for Christmas, so getting something from a trainer would be a great surprise. Especially something as lovely as that!

Last year money was tight for us to, so we gave all the boarders a free deworming in Feb. Worked for us as we buy dewormer in bulk, so it wasn't much cost wise to us, and for the boarders it was one less thing they had to worry about.

I think people understand that sometimes times are tough, and can relate.

The best gift a trainer ever gave me was a gift certificate for a free lesson. I LOVED it! It wasn't tacky at all. Even if you can't do something that generous, a gift certificate to put toward your services sounds like a great idea to me.

I would opt for maybe a small baggy of homemade cookies or a loaf of somethign yummy and a christmas thank you note for being great customers :-)
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Agree with Sicily- I wouldn't be expecting anything from my trainer, so a certificate would be great! Plus, probably the thing i would want to get most from my trainer is more of the trainer- in lessons/services/expertise. Since I'm not a horse owner, the second best thing would be more time in the saddle such as a few exercise rides or chance to work with a nice horse belonging to the trainer. (But the cert. is a nice obvious way of making it a holiday gift/thank you for the past year of patronage, etc.)

Of course from your tone, OP, i can't imagine you would be haughty in your giving of the certificate, so you don't have to worry about that! If anyone doesn't want to take your offer for any reason, then they don't have to!

Not tacky at all-that's a wonderful gift. We're all looking to save a bit here and there, and horses are often one of the biggest expenses we have, so getting a little off would be very much appreciated, IMO. I think it's very thoughtful and should be well received!

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

If I were a client, I'd be pretty pleased with that. I think it's very sweet that you consider gifting something to your clients; it's a nice touch and I'm sure will be appreciated!
    Full-time bargain hunter.

One year my trainer gave each client a gift certificate for one free private lesson, and everyone LOVED it! I say go for it
    Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine - Class of 2014

Chance Encounter
    RIP Tall Tales

I think it is a lovely idea... What's better than offering your services for free? That's very thoughtful and not tacky at all! How nice of you to even think of it...
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

It is not tacky to offer a half-price or free lesson or service of some sort. As long as you are giving your time, not something that costs you money, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkme View Post
    I would opt for maybe a small baggy of homemade cookies or a loaf of somethign yummy and a christmas thank you note for being great customers :-)
    I'm with Pinkme.... a home baked something and a lovely personal note.

I think the gift certificate is a lovely idea, especially if it's for something like a private lesson (if alot of your clients do groups) or a training ride. This shows that you appreciate them and want to give them some personal time and you undivided attention.

I don't think it's tacky either. I would love it if my trainers did that. I don't have a lot of cash either but I still want to take lessons so it's a win win!
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

I think it is great. I did that for some of my clients a few years ago. Just as a note about baking: It can be expensive as all heck when you have to do a lot of it!

Normally, I feel I'm supposed to give stuff to them, ie trainers, dance teachers, skating coaches, BO, etc. I would be pleased to receive anything and a certificate for a discount on services would be great. I like the free month's worming one poster offers!

Really, it's a gift, they're supposed to just be happy you thought of them, not quibble over value.

I think it's a great idea and not at all tacky. I would love to get a gift certificate to put towards my trainer's services, since it's something I know I can put to good use and much more useful than another trinket.

Are you kidding? I'd love it. Certificate for a free lesson? That would be great. I'm not expecting anything, by the way.

I ordered hand decorated ornaments with the farm name on them. they cost $2.50 each. I have also taken a picture and written something complimentary on it and made a card out of it. Also did the baking but did too much eating.....
    I have given a gift certificate for lessons or mane pulling or something. i think it has been appreciated.