The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Waterproof Sheet?

I have 2 Schneiders sheets, both on their first season, both NOT waterproof. Apparently I must have washed them incorrectly, which is news to me because they haven't seen the inside of a washer yet! I really need to get a sheet that actually protects my horse from the rain.
    I was thinking about getting a Rhino or a Rambo sheet and then using that nifty layering system the newer blankets have so I could add a liner and turn it into a lightweight, midweight, etc.
    So, should I spend the money and go for the Rambo? Or should I save a little cash (and hopefully put it towards a chiro appt for my horse) and go for the Rhino?
    I want it to be completely waterproof because he stays out in all but the absolute worst wind/rain/snow etc.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Go for the Rhino, I use nothing else. My guy is 100% dry in any weather. My sheet is on year 3 without needing to be re-waterproofed. BUT, if you wanted to save even more money, you can use Camp Dry on the outside of your Scheider's sheet. It's at Wal-Mart and you use one can per blanket on the outside only. Let it dry for 24 hours and voila! It really works.

The Schneiders sheets are also rubbing, I'd really just like to be done with the brand honestly. I'll look into the Rhino sheets some more. Thanks!
    come what may

Rhinos are great for horses who rub in other sheets, so personally I'd go with the Rhino. They really are the best blankets available IMO. Forgot to mention you should look specifically for the Rhino WUG blankets and sheets for a horse who is getting rubbed.

He's pretty tough on blankets, so I'm concerned about how ANY blanket will hold up. He usually goes through 2+ sheets a year (1200 denier) and he usually has 1 blanket destroyed by the end of the season. When he gets excited in the field he likes to grab the front of the blanket and pull...hard. They all end up with ripped shoulder gussets. I'm concerned that the fabric the Rhinos are made of just won't stand up to him.
    I did have a Rhino for part of a season last winter but I think the blanket was defective. A week or two into use all the color started like falling out of the blanket (it was like powder?) and I could rip the fabric with my hands with almost no effort. It was a closeout blanket for really cheap ($70) so I just threw it out. It was a green plaid and he looked so darn cute in it, I was sad it was defective.
    come what may

Rambos are definitely more "rip-proof" than the Rhinos. My retiree has a Rhino medium weight that I love, but my yearling has been able to make pulls in the outer fabric, so I put my 10+ year old Rambo Wug sheet over top of it for protection and the Rambo does not rip.

Rambo all the way! My two TB's were out in a soaking rain yesterday and when I brought them in they were completely dry under their sheets .

Schneiders are just junk in my opinion - total waste of $$$$ (waterproofing didn't last on mine either ).
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I would try the Rambo if you have the money. Alternatively, if you want to try a cheaper option you might try the Big D's -- SmartPak carries them. They are great, tough blankets and are better known in stock horse circles but they really are nice. I ordered a turnout sheet for my TB last spring and am VERY happy with the quality. He is hard on blankets and it looks straight out of the box so far. The fit has been good on him, no rubs and he's sensitive, but that differs so much from horse to horse I can't guarantee it'll fit yours.

I personally think Rhinos are no good for horses that are hard on blankets. They tear way too easily.

"Horse in Black" Goretex...unfortunately the company went out of business.

Weatherbeeta, Rambo, Rhino, Pessoa and the SmartPak thinsulate (pink and blue) blankets are my favorite.

Personally I don't like anything from Schneiders and I can't believe people still buy their blankets. They rub, the fit is terrible, not waterproof.

I have that random off brand from Dover.
    It's in the sale catalog for 40 bucks.

best sheet ever.

though I've only had it for 2 years.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I'm going with a Rambo.
    come what may

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Weatherbeeta, Rambo, Rhino, Pessoa and the SmartPak thinsulate (pink and blue) blankets are my favorite.

Personally I don't like anything from Schneiders and I can't believe people still buy their blankets. They rub, the fit is terrible, not waterproof.
    Schneiders is the only brand that actually fits my Morgan mare. Everything else hangs off her like she's a darn midget horse. WAY too big all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance_Solo View Post
    I'm going with a Rambo.
    Good choice. They last and last like the energizer bunny. And they hold up to other horses and trees and limbs and other things that tear most blankets.
    Wash in cold water, wringerless washer, and use a cheap shampoo for "normal" hair. Line dry.

And they just had the 50$ rebate offer.

I still haven't found a sheet or blanket that truly fits my mare... everything but Weatherbeetas with Freestyle gussets rubs her shoulders (yes, this includes Rambos/Rhinos/Amigos), but the neck of the WB doesn't prevent water from running down inside the blanket. Tried Turtlenecks, and while they work for her neck, they rub her shoulder. *Sigh* Neck cover it is...anyone have any tips for keeping THOSE in place?
    If we have to nail on talent, it's not talent.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

I recently purchased the Kensington rain sheet (no fill) and the Kensington Roustabout light rain sheet (80g fill). I am THRILLED with these rain sheets, it has been raining here - day and night, for 5 days straight. My guy lives in a partially covered pipe corral and chooses to stand in the rain most of the time, he is 100% dry under his sheet. His neck and face are soaked, so I've been towling him off everyday, but the sheet is doing a great job of keeping the majority of him dry. I took off the sheet yesterday to groom him and to double check that he was dry everywhere, and I was suprised at how clean and dry he was. Also, the sheets are fine to wear from 20 degrees to 70 degrees, they have a special lining in them that helps regulate the temperature. You can also use the sheet when they are slightly damp and the sheet will wick away any moisture that is under the blanket. I was looking at the Rambo WUG lite at $269 and bought the Kensington rain sheet for $119. I am more than happy with my purchase!

I second the Kensington recommendation! I bought the roustabout taper cut blanket, and it has stood up to the last five straight days and 7 inches of rain and has kept Glimmer completely dry. I wish I could say he was mud free ;/ So far so good, but I wonder how long the lining will hold up - that seems to be the only possible weak link to this blanket so far. It hasn't ripped or anything, but it does seem a bit on the thin side for me.

I am very happy with the quality and fit of the kensington blankets. I hope to get a rain sheet in February, if I can afford it.