The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tibetan Riders and Their Ponies Do the "Wild Thing"

Starting at about 1 minute into the video. This is an annual horse festival they have in Tibet. Now if we can just get Pony Club to include these activities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlqrXCaq_bE
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That's one way to get a thrill out of life. I was amazed more of those ponies didn't tip over!
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

WOW!

That was really hard to watch. I quit after the guy nearly ripped the face off the pony in the beginning of the video, and the one pony flipped right over. Not entertaining, in my opinion.

Learning about other equestrian cultures is not always "entertaining".
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I'm a bit baffled about the "not entertaining" comment as well. I think that we have to remember that many cultures still rely on horses/ponies as a means of a vehicle of war. Those maneuvers were not simply for show, play, fun or sport - they were for displaying what they practice for battle.

I, for one, am amazed at their leg and upper body strength.

actually the event is a big tourist spectacle backed by the (how to put this PC) 'visiting' govt's people, that why the words in the beginning are chinese, not tibetan... anyhoo.. the tibetans, especially in Kham and Amdo are big horse people, sometimes have huge herds since they were traditionally nomadic. They have pacers, and racers and several other distinct types.. I love the saddle blankets.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

WOW! It was amazing that only a couple of the ponies tipped over. All I kept thinking was "damn, I wish I had those stomach muscles!". I want one of those ponies!!!!

has a cultural anthro student I am amazed and awed, but but as a horse person I am baffled. I understand what they are doing but dear god ...

Quote Originally Posted by wehrlegirl View Post
    actually the event is a big tourist spectacle backed by the (how to put this PC) 'visiting' govt's people, that why the words in the beginning are chinese, not tibetan... anyhoo.. the tibetans, especially in Kham and Amdo are big horse people, sometimes have huge herds since they were traditionally nomadic. They have pacers, and racers and several other distinct types.. I love the saddle blankets.
    Yes. That is what it is NOW, for the most part. It was born as a "tourist spectacle" out of actual things the people used to need to do in order to fight and survive. Think of it like going to one of those Renaissance Festivals. Certainly, nobody expects to see our current soldiers jousting, but it's a re-enactment - or use Williamsburg OR you could use something, say, like watching a formation march at Camp Lejeune - Current Marines practicing current maneuvers. They may look pretty, but there is a REASON behind the maneuvers.

And of course it was in Chinese...what other language would you have expected it to have been in?? Unless a person has been living under a rock, in a cave, underground for the past Century, you would have to be aware that China believes itself to be in control of Tibet (and Mongolia too, IIRC).

And just to specify, a former co-worker lived and worked in Tibet and informed me that those ponies were most definitely and CURRENTLY used in "raids" - so, while "war" may not be the proper term, I contend that they are used in a form of aggressive interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post

And of course it was in Chinese...what other language would you have expected it to have been in?? )
    Tibetan- of course. There IS more to it than you are aware/ my husband is Tibetan and he is from Kham and had quite a lot to say about his Amdo countrymen and their involvement with this. Racing is a big past-time, flipping horses over was not. THAT is for show and is a new phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    has a cultural anthro student I am amazed and awed, but but as a horse person I am baffled. I understand what they are doing but dear god ...
    $ and tourism. Wait until these guys are trying to finish up their college degree in Beijing -- "gee, funny- you dont look Tibetan" My point is there is a lot going on behind this event than just a Tibetan cultural show.

How high are those teeny, tiny horses? Poor things.

Quote Originally Posted by wehrlegirl View Post
    Tibetan- of course. There IS more to it than you are aware/ my husband is Tibetan and he is from Kham and had quite a lot to say about his Amdo countrymen and their involvement with this. Racing is a big past-time, flipping horses over was not. THAT is for show and is a new phenomenon.
    WHAT is to be aware of?? It is a well-known, well-publicized festival. I never would have thought ANY video coming out of Tibet would be ALLOWED to be subtitled in anything but Chinese. If anyone expects different, they live in very different universe. The Chinese have insisted they OWN Tibet for MANY years. It does not matter what any of us think/feel/want - it is what China has dictated.

Have you ever tried sending e-mail to someone in China? Have you ever had the pleasure of having your e-mail screwed with by the powers that be in China? If not, than I suppose you have no idea the levels to which the Chinese will go to ensure "stability". So, if you are married to a man from Tibet, I am quite surprised that he did not share with you this level of control that China exudes over everything they believe they own.

I did not think flipping the ponies over was done intentionally. Why did you think that? It appeared like an accident in the video I saw the OP posted as well as other videos I have seen of this same festival over the years.

If there is something you want the rest of us to know, go ahead and say it - I'm always interested in learning new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    WHAT is to be aware of?? It is a well-known, well-publicized festival. I never would have thought ANY video coming out of Tibet would be ALLOWED to be subtitled in anything but Chinese. If anyone expects different, they live in very different universe. The Chinese have insisted they OWN Tibet for MANY years. It does not matter what any of us think/feel/want - it is what China has dictated.

Have you ever tried sending e-mail to someone in China? Have you ever had the pleasure of having your e-mail screwed with by the powers that be in China? If not, than I suppose you have no idea the levels to which the Chinese will go to ensure "stability". So, if you are married to a man from Tibet, I am quite surprised that he did not share with you this level of control that China exudes over everything they believe they own.

I did not think flipping the ponies over was done intentionally. Why did you think that? It appeared like an accident in the video I saw the OP posted as well as other videos I have seen of this same festival over the years.

If there is something you want the rest of us to know, go ahead and say it - I'm always interested in learning new things.
    Hey, Im very well aware of the Chinese control-- hence the name of my farm. Why would you think or assume otherwise? That is kind of a strange and a rather personal assumption. Our centers website is hacked on a regular basis. Trust me Im involved and thats not what I was getting at. What Im talking about is the presentation of a tibetan cultural event dictated by the chinese govt. It has to do with marginalization/suppression/exploitation by a privileged/racist/oppressor for their entertainment. Sound familiar? Its like saying a powow for white tourists is a quaint war dance. Ill hunt down the other video, but we saw one from a tibetan freedom group lest year that showed the audience at the amdo horse festival was 5-1 soldiers in uniform. Its like a wild bill Hitchcock wild west show and not recognizing the dynamics and problems behind it and who the audience is. So yes Im trying to be careful with my post because I dont want to get into some heated situation. Im not sure if we are talking about two different things, but with all your capitalizations I thought you may have been trying to stress some other point. I understand the ponies are being flipped intentionally for the whole 'wild tibetan rider' thing they are presenting. The video is used across china for their tourism industry and its really sad for the Tibetan people. History just repeats itself.

Anyway, Im not trying to say anything inflammatory.. just trying to have folks look at it from a different angle. We, for the most part, are also looking at it from a place of privilege. Amdo is not far from where the riots took place last year which saw the death of 100's of Tibetans, and many more imprisoned.

BTW: Windhorse (= Lung-ta) Tibetan prayer flag/ Life force or energy)