The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ouch! Teeth Knocked Out!

Not mine, fortunately, but one of our members had a horse rear back his head and knocked several of her teeth out.

We're hoping they can put them back in.

We also had a member come off an 18 HH draft-cross going down a very steep ravine (fun, if you didn't come off); fortunately he is only 14, so bounced well.

And then we had one member take a branch to the face and have blood running down.

So, not a good day!

Sorry for all the excitement. i had been hoping for some hunt reports since I wont get a chance to hunt this weekend. But I wasn't looking for "a body count" type of report. I hope there was some good hunting in between all the accidents.

Yes, it was a beautiful day and ideal temperature here. It would have been an excellent hunt, otherwise. We had two couples and two children from the Austin area visit and they fit right in. Unfortunately for them, there is no hunt right in their area so they always have to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
    Not mine, fortunately, but one of our members had a horse rear back his head and knocked several of her teeth out.

We're hoping they can put them back in.

We also had a member come off an 18 HH draft-cross going down a very steep ravine (fun, if you didn't come off); fortunately he is only 14, so bounced well.

And then we had one member take a branch to the face and have blood running down.

So, not a good day!

So now you know why most old timers will not get on a hunt horse without a standing martingale.

CSSJR

Growing up, had a bunch of friends who didn't have their front teeth....they didn't sit back at the jumps and they'd all had contact with their horse's poll. There were some classes where they'd hand me their partial dentures to hold while they were doing x-country...worried if they fell they might aspirate their teeth. I was always told, "If I win, get to me quickly so I can smile for the photo!"

Sure got me to sit back.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

You know, I wondered if she had a martingale on, how/if that could happen. But, I remember a time where my horse (who I have a standing martingale on), tripped after a jump, threw me forward, and then smacked me in the face as it recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
    You know, I wondered if she had a martingale on, how/if that could happen. But, I remember a time where my horse (who I have a standing martingale on), tripped after a jump, threw me forward, and then smacked me in the face as it recovered.
    Well, nothing can save you if you are riding the horses neck instead of the saddle.

I remember a few of my own "trick" riding events.

But if the martingale is properly adjusted and you are anywhere near proper position for the activity, you will not get smacked in the face.

The martingale only controls the horse's head position. The rider must control his/hers.

CSSJR

I'm another who always hunts in a standing martingale although I hardly believed in martingales before I started hunting.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    I'm another who always hunts in a standing martingale although I hardly believed in martingales before I started hunting.
    Me neither. Never used one.

Wanabe - hope the lady recovers soon. That's an expensive and painful injury, I'm sure.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

ouch! I hope that she can get her teeth back, real or fake and feels better, that has got to hurt

I have not been hit in the mouth, but did get a good hard wack on the bone right under my right eye when I thought the horse was going to rear and leaned foward some and he just slung his head up, that hurt for weeks

I do know a trainer that has fake front teeth due to getting them knocked out while trying a horse in a trailer

Well, the young lady in question is 16, and had a picture perfect smile, but I've been told she lost one tooth, completely, which is really bad. I feel for her.

Talking Oh I can top that!!!

I chipped a tooth once trying to stop a hound from crossing a highway. I fell down and went boom and hit teeth on the asphalt. Wasn't even my hunt!

And I saw 2 women hunt members fighting over a flask once and they knocked each others front teeth out - this happens a lot in the Snobbington Hunt. It's why we're such great fun!

[QUOTE=cssutton;5277072]Well, nothing can save you if you are riding the horses neck instead of the saddle.

The martingale only controls the horse's head position. The rider must control his/hers.

CSSJR[/QUOT

Love that!