The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TV ALERT-you'll want to see this one.

BBC America is running "All The Queens Horses" right now and will repeat at 5pm EST.

It is quite good and reveals alot of tradition, the Royal Windsor Horse Show (est. 1940s to support the war effort) plus it's really interesting. You think your tack is clean and buckles polished...

Apparently HRH celebrated her 83rd birthday by hacking out-in the rain- as she does 3 days a week. No, she does not wear a helmet, she is the Queen, she doesn't have to and nobody is going to make her.

Tune in. Very entertaining and usually don't like many of these horse documentaries.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Shoot!

I get that channel at home. But I'm not home.

Hopefully they'll show it again.

I caught the show today, while making cookies, writing out Christmas cards and crying (put down my "heart horse" today). It was a lovely show, what beautiful horses!! Perked me up a bit...

Can you imagine shining boots/tack for ELEVEN hours?? I think that's what the horse guard guy said, as he was getting ready for the competition for the "Best Turned Out" award, presented by the Queen herself.

BBC does do repeats, so search your guide...might repeat again this week.

I was in London last spring and watched one of the Sentries on horseback, who stand in these like limestone portals to guard an entrance. They guy was nodding off at his post and the horse just stood there.

http://http://79.170.40.172/spendtim...horseguard.jpg

Also I was amazed at the horses used for crowd control at the palace. This gi-normous Hanoverian clearing a walkway. I have a picture of it, but I dont know how to attach it.

Eleven hours?!? I probably barely spend eleven minutes on tack!

Spurgirl, sorry for your loss.

I would have liked the program to run as a series instead, so that we could have had more in depth info about everything. Quite historic, which I liked. I would like to see some of the different British pony breeds. The Cleveland Bays. The Windsor Grays. Who makes her carriages? Her tack? I once owned a Side Saddle and rode that way, and would love to know who makes hers. More more more! LOL!

Ahh yes ! I am currently side saddle shopping and I'd be curious about her saddle maker as well.

Don't see series potential here, it was in honor of Her birthday and a nod to her pushing 60 year reign. She and the Duke allowed some unusual and very candid access.

Did Prince Phillip, the Duke of Windsor, really "invent" the modern FEI sport of driving? Bcause he could no longer play Polo and he had all these carriages and buggies sitting around and a barn full of carriage horses????? Interesting. Anybody know????

Far as the tack and carriage makers? Most of those carriages are relics of various historical periods or faithfull replicas, some are used for ceremonial occasions and sometimes on display. I assume some are lighter and newer but really have no idea. No idea if the Queens tack is new or well loved veteran either but I bet that parade sidesaddle has been around for a bit. And HRH does ride astride on her usual hacks, cannot imagine it would be anything but British made custom.

Anyway, BBC does rerun-extensively-and maybe an e-mail is in order to let them know you liked this.

My favorite quote was the Duke when a competitor had to pull out of the Driving competition because of a lame horse and something like...
    "I started with the Fell Ponies and they were quite indestructable, never had any problems. But the big horses? Always something wrong."
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I loved it and laughed at the line of horses are as addictive as heroin and 10X as expensive Amazing show in the torrential down pour
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    I loved it and laughed at the line of horses are as addictive as heroin and 10X as expensive Amazing show in the torrential down pour
    I use this analogy all the time. Because like heroin addicts, we horse girls will empty our pockets for horse-related stuff before we'd invest the money in something more sensible or necessary. And we can never have enough horse stuff.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Can anybody point me to some website I can watch the episode on? We don't even get broadcast TV here, much less BBC. It sounds fascinating.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default Findeight

Yes, the Duke did indeed "invent" combined driving when he didn't ride anymore. We had the privelege of hosting his former coachman, David Sauders (has a website, with TONS of info on it about that very thing) at our farm for three weeks prior to the WEG. He was competing for the US as an individual. Loads of stories, drove a carriage in Diana's wedding and all that.

Who makes her tack? Well, a host of Master Saddlers to HRM. One of whom is Richard Castelow (has a website) who currently resides in Wellyworld in the winter and Lexington in the summer. Makes yummy custom jumping and dressage saddles and gorgeous custom bridles. I have two saddles of his and two bridles. They are no more than any of the other high end saddles, and are incredibly well crafted and the leather is to die for. He comes round and measures your horse, measures you, comes and fits it on the horse, tweaks it, brings it back. More than worth the money.