The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile calling Haflinger riders- saddle question

What type of dressage saddle do you ride in. i am having difficulty finding dressage saddle. We event and I have managed to find the perfect all purpose, but LOVE riding dressage in a proper sasddle, helps with my position, etc....
    Memebr of Charlie Horse Riding Club.

have you tried thornhill or duett?
    I used to train a haffy and my thornhill pro trainer (albeit a cc plain flap) fit him really well.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Or black country - they have tree shapes to fit halflingers/ponies. Try Trumbull Mtn.

Default Wintec Isabel and Duett Encore here

Daisey-B- I use a Wintec Isabel and a Duett Encore on my Haflinger boys. Both work well, with the Isabel being my favorite. But I have to note that my Isabel is a different critter than most Wintec Isabels. Mine is brown. It was sent to me by a friend in the UK about 5 years ago. I've also had one of the black Isabels and the two saddles are very different. The brown one is considerably wider than the black one was and is a much better fit across the shoulders on my boys. And it just seems to be much better quality. I have also had the CAIR panels removed by my saddle-fitter and had it reflocked with wool. So my Isabel is very different from the average cheesy (in my opinion) Wintec Isabel. Mine is gorgeous and a nearly perfect fit for both me and my Haflingers.

The Duett Encore I've had for about 3 years. It's 36 cm and it's a very nice saddle and is a very good fit for the Haflingers but my lovely Isabel is always my saddle of choice so the Duett doesn't get much use. The Duett might be for sale if you wish to PM me.

My recommendation would be to get an Isabel like mine but I don't know how you'd go about re-tracing the steps I took to get mine!

ETA: You said you're happy with your A/P but I just thought I'd add that I use a Wintec 2000 A/P for jumping and hacking. It's also brown and I also had the CAIR panels removed on it and reflocked with wool and it's an excellent fit for my boys and a very comfortable ride for me.
    Last edited by RidesAHaflinger; Dec. 11, 2010 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Add more info

We have a barn of Haflingers and sportponies of all shapes and sizes, so I'll go through what we have in the Dressage department.

We have a 36 cm Duett Largo that fits a variety of our broader-backed Haflingers; this is quite comfortable and balanced. We have a wide (probably 34-36 cm) Albion that fits those who are not so broad/round, and this is a wonderful saddle for rider position. We also have a Bates Innova that is used with the red or white gullets. This fits the narrower or less-muscled Haflingers in the barn, and is great for my position. We also have a Niedersuss that is a medium/wide, fits the less-muscled horses, also nice for rider position.

For the typical Haflinger back, I would go with a Duett - they really are built for the Haflinger and won't break the bank! Wintecs are also a nice choice.

Haley

Wintec worked well for me.

*sigh* I miss that Haflinger.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

My Haffie fit into a Black Country after fitting into nothing else (Thornhill, Duett, Wintec, full $5000+ custom). I went with a more styled jump model since I could only afford one saddle after losing so much $$$$ on the custom).

I had a Haffie mare that was really tough. She fit best in a Duett Trail Companion.

My Half Haffie is VERY comfy in her old as dirty County, and I am too.