The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lost cat

My 2 y.o. neutered male rescue, who has been living in the house quite contentedly for about 8 months, managed to get out (long story) and he has now been gone over 24 hours. We live in the country and he did used to be the barn cat, but he was never gone this long when he used to live in the barn. Please give me your stories that will reassure me that he still has a chance of returning home safe. He is my favorite. Thanks.

My daughter had moved into a new house and had two indoor cats with her. The neutered and de-clawed male cat that had only ever been an indoor cat got out of the house. They lived on a busy highway but there was several acres of woods behind the house. She was very worried. She looked for him for 2 days, going into the woods and calling him and even crossing the highway to look for him there. She had some neighbors that were quite a distance away, through the woods but she deemed them "scary looking rednecks" and was scared to approach them. Finally, the third day she put on her big girl panties and approached them to ask if they'd seen her cat. They pointed over by their air unit and there he was. Kinda tick infested, a little hungry but otherwise unhurt.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

FWIW, my favourite barn cat disappeared for 5 days, and no amount of calling produced any results, save for that horrible feeling of not being heard. One morning, went out to feed, called 'Cats cats' and he came running. Another cat disappeared and he never missed a meal (summer, a couple of years ago) and one night, a couple of days after he disappeared, couldn't sleep so went outside for a bit, and in the distance, I heard him meowing and sounding desperate. Called him and the volume increased, so I walked towards the sound. Silly bugger got himself stuck in an old grain bin. If you have out buildings, check them all, no matter how remote the possibility - the above mentioned bin was shut tight, at least i thought it was.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

My little 5# Verminator took herself on Walkabout dead in the middle of Winter for about 5 days.

I was heartbroken & had resigned myself to losing her when she turned up looking none the worse for wear.

For all I knew she had been cozied up in the stacked hay and just not adjusted her appearance schedule to mine.

I hope your boy is doing something similar.

Sadly it is the price we pay for having outdoor cats.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

When I was a kid, a tornado struck our street. When we poked our heads out after the storm, the scene of destruction was amazing - monster oak trees snapped like twigs, a house a few doors up the street demolished.

Our outdoor kitty, Hobeau, was gone. And he stayed gone. After a few days, we resigned ourselves to the fact that he was gone forever.

He re-appeared weeks later. Weeks. With a soprano meow (he had a rather manly meow pre-storm.) Actually, his new voice was more of a peeping "mew". We were thrilled and stuffed him with tuna to celebrate.

His meow returned to normal after a while. Poor kitty - I think he went for a scary, wind-driven ride, howling all the way. He was a good boy.

Jingles for a quick return for your kitty.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Default Jingles for your cat ~

Jingles for your cat to return home ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO Always Optimistic ~

Hang in there he will come home ~ he knows he is the favorite ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Last APRIL, one of our dual purpose, indoor outdoor cats disappeared. I searched and called for weeks, looking for him, but we are a farm on a river and there are dangers . I was sure an owl had gotten him. A couple of weeks (end of November) ago, right as a snow storm was moving in, I heard a MEOOOOW. And there he was!

He was in good condition but very muscular and fit as if he had walked a long way. And he was super happy to be home, chattering and purring and just wanting to be held.

I had a puss, Lucky, who was a barn cat for the 1st yr of his life, before being upgraded to house moggie. He jumped out of a window, and went Walkabout for about 10 days. I would go out and call his name, posted flyers every where, no results. My roomie went out late one night and saw Mr. Stupid running from one doorstep to another, trying to find home, silly Puss! 2AM 10 days later, I get woken up because my pusskins had been found. I knew he would be sooner or later.
    I think the biggest key, is to KNOW that Mr. Moggie will come home. I have lost a couple of critters, I ALWAYS KNEW they would come home and they did.

Expect to here good news soon!
    LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

One of my indoor cats managed to escape and was gone for 3 1/2 weeks. I had resigned myself to the fact that he was gone for good until I came home one day and there he was lurking under the front bushes.

Jingles for this boy to find his way this weekend ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

One of my indoor/outdoor cats once dissappeared for more than 2 weeks. She returned home, skinnier, but fine. I still have no idea where she went.

Try going out at night, when it is quiet, and calling for her.

Many years ago my plump, de-clawed house kitty escaped & was gone for 3 weeks. At the time we lived in a third-floor apartment by a busy interstate. I couldn't sleep one night, walked out on the balcony, & my kitty was crossing the parking lot. She had taken up residence in the complex's dumpster. She's now 18 years old and has never tried to leave the house again.

PSD, I hope that your lost kitty returns home soon.

Jingles that he remembers where he lives and what luxury he has indoors. :0

I had a neutered male barn cat, several actually, but only one that I never knew if he was ever coming home or not. He'd be gone for 1-2 wks on end, and just when I figured a fox got him, he'd come strolling back in. After a few yrs he did end up as house/barn cat in that he'd come in when I went in and came back out when I'd come out. After a short time inside, he decided life was great indoors and to be with Mom was even better.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

We've had cats go missing and then show up later like they didn't know they were gone.

I don't know if humor can be appreciated when a beloved pet is missing but someone just send around this photo on an email entitled 'I Found Your Cat.'

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...FoundKitty.jpg
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I hope you find your kitty (and I'm sure you will!) When I was really little (3 ish) our indoor/outdoor kitty didn't come home for several weeks. Everybody had all given up, hoping that someone had kept him. (We put up flyers and called vets offices nearby with no luck). One night we were walking and I started saying "Alvin" (kitty's name) when I heard a meow and up popped kitty out of the sewer, skinnier but fine. So don't give up, they're smart and know where food is

I am so sorry you are going through that. I went through it a few years ago. I have a neutered male, previous barn cat who used to disappear regularly. He would go for a day or two but always turn up. We moved to a new farm, and I would go out every day, and call them for dinner (I trained them to come when I called them). Something came up and I skipped one day and the next day he was gone. I searched everywhere, put up flyers, you name it. Do you know how hard it is to find an all black cat with no markings??? After 10 weeks I got a call from the previous farm - he came trotting in the door like "hey, how's it going?" He was fine, and bigger, and fatter than when he left, not a mark on him. Needless to say he became a mostly house cat after that. He didn't go out, or do anything other than eat and sleep for I think 2 weeks. I had moved to the new farm by then so I kept in for a month to sort of set it as home. I let him out on Christmas Day while I was doing the barn. It was cute, after about 20 minutes, one of us would come looking for the other one, just to make sure! He now goes out during the day and is in all night and in bad weather. This seems to work out fine for him. If I am out of town, they stay in full time and handle it well. I will be thinking of you and hoping you get as good an outcome. Not knowing is the worst - I would not wish it on anyone. Hopefully your kitty will be as lucky.

Forgot to say that it was 10 weeks that he was gone - end of Sept to Dec. 1 through some very very cold weather. So don't give up!!!
    Last edited by abbydp; Dec. 14, 2010 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks so much for everyone's replies and stories. It is helping so much! He still has not come home. The strange things is, we think he may be hanging out in the collapsed barn/shed that is in the woods behind us. Several nights in a row, we have gone out, poked around in there and heard his distinctive mew from time to time, or, at least I thought his distintive mew, until tonight. We put a trap out with sardines in it and we trapped 2 possums yesterday, that we released, but tonight there was a very healthy looking long-haired orange tabby in there. So, maybe that is the cat that has been hanging out in the collapsed shed and his mews just happen to sound like my cat. Sigh. I guess if mine does not show up, I will just have to try and trap this one and if he is not homed, home him. Sigh. Right now, I just want my Rockie....

Oh, and pony grandma, that photo is adorable! Hope my story ends as well!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PSD View Post
    Thanks so much for everyone's replies and stories. It is helping so much! He still has not come home. The strange things is, we think he may be hanging out in the collapsed barn/shed that is in the woods behind us. Several nights in a row, we have gone out, poked around in there and heard his distinctive mew from time to time, or, at least I thought his distintive mew, until tonight. We put a trap out with sardines in it and we trapped 2 possums yesterday, that we released, but tonight there was a very healthy looking long-haired orange tabby in there. So, maybe that is the cat that has been hanging out in the collapsed shed and his mews just happen to sound like my cat. Sigh. I guess if mine does not show up, I will just have to try and trap this one and if he is not homed, home him. Sigh. Right now, I just want my Rockie....
    Is there a possibility that your Rockie is caught somehow in the fallen down shed?

DQ has a very good point! I'd try going out there again, and calling and following the mews.

Jingles and good luck!

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed