The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your favorite winter hunting gloves? UPDATE: Christmas Morning!

I MAY? be lining up a first time hunting scenario as a gift for daughter....(capping fees, use of been there done that mount)
    and I know she doesn't have good winter riding gloves that aren't black. Can you guys 'in the know' suggest some?

TIA!

will update in latest post on thread!
    Last edited by ayrabz; Dec. 25, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Talking SSG aquasuede

I like the SSG winter weight aquasude. The palms are still flexible as are the fingers. The gloves easily take the shape of your hands, so your hands don't get tired and lose the feel of the reins and loosen the grip. They are also well made, last a very long time, and wash in the washing machine. I sometimes dry mine on low with the rest of my load.

I hunted yesterday with ODH for about 3 1/2 hours. It was a balmy day in the 20'sF, frozen ground, very hilly country with many small creek crossings. We had a number of foxes, so we alternated between standing in the stiff breeze on the tops of hills, and moving along at a careful hand gallop. The horse I was on preferred to gently pop the ditches and creeks, so I had quite a bit of lengthening and shortening of the reins. My hands stayed pleasantly warm, without getting sweaty and then chilling.

For barn work, I would pick a different glove with more insulation all around.

I guess I'm a redneck.

I buy my tan lined gloves at the local feedstore. Works for hunting and farm work, and since they're tough they hold up to things like barbed wire and whanot. I've worn them while hunting with a Pelham (4 reins) and it's not a problem.

I'm a wimp about cold weather. Really and truly wimpy. Underarmor, a real 4 fold stock tie, my redneck gloves, and a full flask gets me through.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

thanks guys! Will research and consider both. Its so funny, since one of my BEST friends will be organizing this, and she and daughter have such a connection. Daughter and I own an arab, and have enjoyed so much on that front, but I wanted to gift her with a 'fox hunting' experience with this trusted 'been there done that friend' who is helping make it all possible. I thought? a gift of gloves to open would be a good lead in, 'item to open' for the intro. I'm so excited for her!!! She's been on the intercollegiate riding team all 4 years and has advanced well with the hunter / jumping thing that we have NOT done with our gelding. So, to be able to have a trusted, knowledgeable fox hunting friend take the reins on this one has set up the coolest opportunity for me to make a gift out of it,....let her open the gloves, and read the scenario on a card (maybe a fun fox ornament?).....is really fun for me to orchestrate! Egadds....it may get the bug in her for good, and I may regret it all!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Hey JSwan,
    It's the flask that makes the difference!

Ayrabz,
    We have a member in ODH who hunts her arab. He is a super hunter, too! So, maybe we can encourage you as well... Have a little koolaid, m'dear...

I find that for the really cold days, gloves that are a little bigger are better. I can then fit the hand warmers in the palm between my hand and the glove. I think I must be related to reptiles, as I get SOOOO cold. This keeps me nice and toasty! I can even manage a pelham with double reins in this get up. You just have to get used to the feel of it.

What a great gift!!! She is one lucky girl. And arabs in the hunt field can be done. I've hunted one a couple of times and he really seems to get the whole thing. Also, it is a great way to have some bonding time with your daughter.

Smile

SSG buckskin lined gloves - best winter riding gloves that I have tried, and I've tried them all. Here they cost around $48.00 + tax - not cheap, but as I have found out, they are completely worth it. They soften up with use, are comfy, very warm and look great.
    Normally I am a cheapo and won't spend that much on gloves, but these ones are very worth the price.

Oh, I wish I could find the gloves I used to use, calf or deer skin with the knit liners...I have 2 or 3 of the left gloves still in a tack trunk in the garage, but none of the right gloves. I guess hope springs eternal.

However, in recent years, like J Swan, I've preferred the 'yellow' (or tan) leather or elk skin lined gloves I get at the feed store.

Another fan of the lined work gloves here.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I like the buckskin SSG, they even make XXS! I think the yellow color is even considered proper because I had a true Snobbington Huntmaster want to know where he could buy himself a pair. He just about died when I told him he'd have to go to the Tractor Supply in Lawton, OK!

I like wool knitted gloves. Like string gloves but wool.

I have not ridden in really cold climates - but up here in BC and in England where it is more rainy I always used deerskin gloves, plain old work gloves - they seem to be able to hold the heat even when soaking wet and while I haave a dread of being cold and hate hands that ache so much you can't hold the reins, these did fine for me for all those years. We do go down to freezing, breaking ice, and have been stuck out there in snow, too. Brownish/yellow ones. Black stains the hands.

I noticed on the helmet cam that the well turn-out staff had nice, buckskin work gloves, similar to SSGs.
    I've always worn the yellow work gloves, either lined or unlined.
    According to Rita Mae Brown books buckskin is appropriate, with crochet for wet weather. So, thinking black gloves are not proper? I think black gloves are a show fad because they show less hand movement.

True, black gloves technically not proper though you won't get struck by lightning if you wear them. Dates from the days when black was the sign of mourning, and, well, you aren't supposed to be having fun hunting if you are still in a mourning period!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctracy View Post
    According to Rita Mae Brown books buckskin is appropriate, with crochet for wet weather.
    String gloves. Not crochet. Crochet backed gloves are for warm weather/cubbing, and have a leather palm.

I'll see if I can find a photo of string gloves (which, by the way, can also be found at some feed stores.)

Here's a photo of string gloves:
    http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...ct=RAD64057179

Here's a photo of the casual/warm weather riding/cubbing gloves:
    http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=ER00479
    -Rudyard Kipling

Thanks for the pictures. I had no idea those things at the feed store were the correct string gloves. And, why would they be comfortable in wet weather? Or is it it just less slippery?
    I always had crochet in my mind when reading "string".

Less slippery.

I think it's pretty common to confuse string gloves with crochet backed gloves.

I've seen people at High Holy Days in the most formal turnout you can think of - and they're wearing casual/warm weather gloves.

I don't get a case of the vapors, and God doesn't smite them, but it is rather incongruous. It's like wearing your best jeans to a wedding.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Thanks you guys!!!
    I had forwarded this link: to my friend, and she felt they'd be perfect---
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg-wor...X1-3934/cn/29/
    I DO like the buckskin lined ones very much, but the price for the 'one time use' (until we see if she drinks the koolaid ! )
    seemed high, so I think I'm going with these?

This will be SO interesting as it all pans out!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

I think I pay about $9.00 a pair for my bucksin non- lined at the feed store. A few more for the lined?