The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Best Warmblood Stallion for Jumpers?

I have a mare in my care (bay with 4 white socks) - 16.2H...and former Grand Prix jumper who got injured. Her owners want to breed her. She is an expensive import and $$ isn't a problem. Who is the BEST jumper stallion we should look at? She's 14 and no previous foals that I know of. Could try frozen first, although fresh would be better. (I'm thinking an Olympic type that is trainable and popular too...)
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

I have an excellent bred mare who is out of Caresino---
    Google caresino and watch him on you tube --
    I raced as a Doctor Jumped as a King
    Just remember me as Tobias
    5/6/2000 - 12/25/2011

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    I have a mare in my care (bay with 4 white socks) - 16.2H...and former Grand Prix jumper who got injured. Her owners want to breed her. She is an expensive import and $$ isn't a problem. Who is the BEST jumper stallion we should look at? She's 14 and no previous foals that I know of. Could try frozen first, although fresh would be better. (I'm thinking an Olympic type that is trainable and popular too...)
    Well, without knowing her bloodlines and what her strengths and weaknesses are it is really hard to make a suggestion.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    Well, without knowing her bloodlines and what her strengths and weaknesses are it is really hard to make a suggestion.

Ditto

First you have to know what studbook in the US you will be presenting the foal to. That will limit which stallions to pick from. Is she already breeding approved with a studbook?

The best jumper stallions is the best one for your mare. Having not ever been bred this is hard to decipher. The people who will be able to help you will need to know what the mares needs, how she rides, breed, size, pedigree, and lastly what level of jumper you are wishing to produce. Without that information everyone is throwing crap on the wall to see what sticks.

Tim

P.S. What is the rest of the pedigree of your Caresino. I have seen a couple in Germany.
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

OK - does it ever occur that they just want names, and an explanation as to why they are suggested, and that the mare owners can do the remaining legwork themselves? And if they do have any questions, they will come back and ask them?!

Sometimes, the open ended-questions get you the best responses here on COTH

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    OK - does it ever occur that they just want names, and an explanation as to why they are suggested, and that the mare owners can do the remaining legwork themselves? And if they do have any questions, they will come back and ask them?!

Well, those of us who would like to spend our time giving suggestions might want to avoid suggesting something like a 1/2 brother, or even the mare's father. If we are going to invest our time we would like to at least make it a semi-educated suggestion.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

My top choice for proven Grand Prix stallion would be:

Darco (sire of Grand Prix winners: Saphire, TARCO VAN TER MOUDE, Parco, Ublesco, etc. and a big winner in his own right)

http://www.darco-stallion.com/Engels/progeny.htm
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
    Well, those of us who would like to spend our time giving suggestions might want to avoid suggesting something like a 1/2 brother, or even the mare's father. If we are going to invest our time we would like to at least make it a semi-educated suggestion.
    Good on you Hillside !

Another shining example of why I often blow my stack.......

Warmblod mare , bay , 4 white socks , 16.2 , pick a stallion for her............UNBELIEVABLE !

Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Darco is unquestionably one of the most prolific international level jumper sires in modern times. Problem is that he is dead and, from what people here have said, his frozen semen isn't very good.

If I were going to just throw out a name, I find Willemoes very attractive, but not well proved in North America through offspring performance--yet.

It's kind of hard to find a well proved show jumping sire standing in North America simply because really high level show jumpers are imported. There is Edgar's stallion who is the sire of Lantinus, but I am not sure of the name.

If they want to use imported semen, Diamant de Semilly or Nabab de Reve should be considered.

For sure, the stallion selected ought to go well with the mare, and the registry should be considered.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

OK, then the best answer is to look at the WBFSH stallion ranking.
    I'm sure this is not of great help... but as everybody said, we know nothing about the mare
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    OK, then the best answer is to look at the WBFSH stallion ranking.
    I'm sure this is not of great help... but as everybody said, we know nothing about the mare
    Breeder's don't have a 'favorite' stallion that they prefer? There have been threads in the past, 'Who would you breed to for an Olympic Jumper?' that were loaded with great suggestions. The recent negativity on this board, particularly towards American breeders, is getting old. This thread is also being started by a third party, so maybe they don't want to divulge all the information on this mare.

I think Cunningham is an interesting option for fresh semen. I though Cassini I was stunning when I recently visited, and so much of that same presence is evident in Cunningham. Quality, ridability, and power in those lines. Quite proven, as well.
    There are also some stallions that I am not familiar with, but seem impressive at first glance, in the COTH Stallion issue.
    I've also always liked Mezcalero, another fresh option as she is an older, presumably maiden mare.

I have liked what I have seen of the Cicera's Icewater foals..

I also like Concerto Grosso who also stands at the same farm.

I hear Con Caletto is coming back to the US and he is lovely.

I also agree about Cunningham and Mez.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Darco is unquestionably one of the most prolific international level jumper sires in modern times. Problem is that he is dead and, from what people here have said, his frozen semen isn't very good.
    Not to argue, because I am sure you are right, BUT... according to this thread (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=248829) a poster on here has used his semen and been successful. If money was not an object and could use the best repro vet available it is something I would have to try.
    Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
    and
    http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post

If I were going to just throw out a name, I find Willemoes very attractive, but not well proved in North America through offspring performance--yet.

It's kind of hard to find a well proved show jumping sire standing in North America simply because really high level show jumpers are imported. There is Edgar's stallion who is the sire of Lantinus, but I am not sure of the name.

If they want to use imported semen, Diamant de Semilly or Nabab de Reve should be considered.

For sure, the stallion selected ought to go well with the mare, and the registry should be considered.

Actually the Darco frozen is not as bad as some people would have you believe.

Nabab de Reve does not ship to North America.

Breeder's don't have a 'favorite' stallion that they prefer? There have been threads in the past, 'Who would you breed to for an Olympic Jumper?' that were loaded with great suggestions. The recent negativity on this board, particularly towards American breeders, is getting old. This thread is also being started by a third party, so maybe they don't want to divulge all the information on this mare.

I think Cunningham is an interesting option for fresh semen. I though Cassini I was stunning when I recently visited, and so much of that same presence is evident in Cunningham. Quality, ridability, and power in those lines. Quite proven, as well.
    There are also some stallions that I am not familiar with, but seem impressive at first glance, in the COTH Stallion issue.
    I've also always liked Mezcalero, another fresh option as she is an older, presumably maiden mare.
    The reason there is some negativity pointed at American breeders is exemplified in the original post. No photo , no bloodline , no riding or jumping characteristics , no info about the family , no info about desired improvements , no nothing.

People in the know wouldn't give an opinion based off of "bay mare , 4 white socks and 16.2" for fear of looking like a fool at the mere suggestion of a stallion for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayhawk View Post
    People in the know wouldn't give an opinion based off of "bay mare , 4 white socks and 16.2" for fear of looking like a fool at the mere suggestion of a stallion for her.
    I disagree. But I'm willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt that there was a reason for excluding the additional information that you are seeking. You, are not, as you are skeptical of American breeders as a whole, and I am not. Oh well

Off to ride the horses.

How 'bout Quaterback?

(Ok, bad joke)

That was going to be my suggestion!

Then Hickstead. And for an out of the box suggestion, Totilas.

We get a bad rep because of things like this:

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart