The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sporting Days Prelim?

Can anyone tell me about the Sporting Days Prelim course? Looking to move up at the event in March. We did a few Prelims last season, but really looking to be more serious this season. I have heard it is a soft Prelim, but wanted to get some more information. Thanks!

No advice but i am hoping to go too. (just at novice) so not to hijack but im interested in hearing peoples opinions of the event too

I haven't been in a few years, so things might have changed but in '07-'08 it was a pretty straightforward course with a few questions (a bounce, some light into dark stuff, a pretty normal coffin and a pretty easy water). I remember the time being really hard to make (I came in 2nd in my division in '08 with 20 time penalties!), but if you're looking for a move up/confidence build that might not be very important anyway.

I rode there last year, and moved up my training horse. It was fabulous - topped off that he finished 2nd! It was quite a surprise!

From what I remember it started out with 4 or so gallop fences to get your rhythm, your first combination was a ditch combination, which I did a very slow canter to, with a chevron out. But the chevron had "wings" of plants, so it really funneled you in. The next combination were offset brush fences - which rode very forgiving. I think it was a one stride, possibly a two (can't quite remember). then you went for a bit of a gallop down, then up a hill in the woods. Had a log combination. Then you had the water, which again was very forgiving. I think it was a rolltop or boathouse, drop in, then a skinny out. Then you came out in the front field, the only big things in there was the trakaneur (sp?), and a corner. Both of which were presented in a way that was very positive (flat, no surprises).

I wish I could give you more, but that is the best I can remember. I will be moving up the horse again this year there (last year was a flop b/c he went undiagnosed with lymes).

I do remember that the show jumping was a bit challenging.

Hope that helps!

Oooh, timely post

I'm thinking about moving up to prelim there too, but in Feb for the one day.
    I've heard it's a softer course, good for move ups The pics shown on hoofclix look very doable

And... since you have already done some prelims.... which ones did you do and what was your opinion? We've done some Prelim CTs and one P/T but... are feeling good about moving up to full prelim

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    And... since you have already done some prelims.... which ones did you do and what was your opinion? We've done some Prelim CTs and one P/T but... are feeling good about moving up to full prelim
    I emailed Beth... I think I will be out schooling with you guys some this year! My girl is going to be with Becky over my winter break, but after that I will want to get out and do some xc!

I did 3 prelims last summer... Colorado, Feathercreek (OK), and Maryland. Moved back down in the fall to get some confidence back in our tank since the little mare is just a 2004 pony. I did a Prelim CT in May before that and just did one in Nov here in GA. Not sure if you know, but there is a place about 30mins away from High Point that runs schooling dressage and CTs. They don't have prelim on the entry, but I emailed them and they let me do the Prelim CT. They said anytime I want to do that or know anyone wanting to do the Prelim to just email them. How awesome! They also let you do the show jumping more than once if you want to go back in and school some different parts of the course.

Thanks for all the info on the course. From the pictures online it looks like it will be a great place to move up again. Hopefully we will be more than ready this spring.

I rode Prelim there a few years back, and it was definitely on the softer side. The water was really inviting, as was the corner and coffin complex. The one thing that caught my horse off guard was a combination of big tables on a 3 or 4 stride line early in the course. He didn't quite have his confidence yet and took a pretty big peek at both fences but jumped them well. I don't remember the time being hard to make as it is pretty flat there besides the wooded areas. The SJ was pretty fair, lots of big square oxers and the warmup is pretty cramped. I thought they were good courses overall.

Good to know! Thanks trakeventer What is the name of the place that does the CTs? Though... It's mostly the XC I need ot practice

Hope to see you out and about soon!

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    Good to know! Thanks trakeventer What is the name of the place that does the CTs? Though... It's mostly the XC I need ot practice

Hope to see you out and about soon!
    It is at Chicopee Woods. Here is the website
    http://www.simplesite.com/newclassichorseshows/9246564

I moved up to Prelim at Sporting Days a few years ago. It was a great first Prelim! Had some good questions, but nothing too hard. What I remember was a log, one stride, bank into water, then an option out. Two tables on an angle, 3 or 4 strides, with a tree in your line if you were to ride centre to centre. A small-ish full coffin in a bending line, very do-able for my ditchy horse. Well designed, with a great gallop through the forest.

One thing I didn't like about Sporting Days was the SJ footing - very deep.