The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default OTTB Conformation Critique...Again!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, and have finally decided to show my face

After reading the very long Finger Lakes Finest thread, I am contemplating taking the plunge and buying an OTTB. Dressage (first level) and lower level eventing on a sane willing horse is my goal. I am located in NC and this purchase would be sight unseen with a good PPE.

What do you think of these guys?

A Young Minister
    http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=1329

Dewanna Brushon Me
    http://fltrainerlist.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=1492

Thanks for you input!

The first guy is a little long/ upright in the pasterns. The upright part might be able to be helped a little with better shoeing. He has the cutest face though! My main concern with the second is that they never mention if he is sound. I would see if you can contact the regulars on here that know a ton about those horses- foundationmare (?) is one of them. They regularly post on the Fingerlakes Finest thread and are incredibly helpful.

I got my guy from there and love him to pieces. They really have a lot of quality horses and right now they are all very reasonably priced. Good luck!!
    RIP Charlie and Toby

Adventures

I sent you a PM. CANTER Mid Atlantic has a bunch of horses located in North Carolina that are already started and reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    Dressage (first level) and lower level eventing on a sane willing horse is my goal. I am located in NC and this purchase would be sight unseen with a good PPE.
    Max: Since "sane" and "willing" are part of your criteria, I suggest that you don't buy your OTTB sight unseen. While horses behave differently on the track, it might be worth your while to make sure that you "click." I suggest that you see what Canter Mid Atlantic has in your area.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Vicarious Rider - Thanks for verifying that I might be slightly insane for buying sight unseen. I needed the encouragement to stay in NC.

I have been riding a horse that just does not want to complete a HT. She can school cross country all day long, but try to put together a course (either XC or stadium) and the temper tantrums begin. The problem doesn't seem to be the actual jumps, but the surroundings. It is to the point where I do not want to put more time and effort into this mare, as her behaviour seems to be worsening, but this should be another topic all together.

So, really I am looking for a horse that is happy and game to try new things. I will keep my search to NC

I agree about going the CANTER route based on what you are looking for. Certainly you could get an amazing match off the track sight unseen, but your chances are better when you can discuss your needs and what is available with someone.

I think both those horses had flaws which would concern me - the pasterns in the first one, the rubbing of the hind legs in the second. Without a chance to see them in person (which they both seem as if they'd be worth doing) I wouldn't want to risk that.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    Vicarious Rider - Thanks for verifying that I might be slightly insane for buying sight unseen. I needed the encouragement to stay in NC.

So, really I am looking for a horse that is happy and game to try new things. I will keep my search to NC
    The track listings are so easy to get excited about. I totally understand! Buying sight unseen does work for some but, after reading your most recent post, it really does sound like you want a horse who is willing to be part of the team. Of course, you will be taking a gamble with any OTTB that they won't like eventing if they haven't done it yet. But by meeting them in person you can at least try to get a feel for their attitude.

I'm sorry to hear about your mare. Some horses are just not competitors. I hope that you can find her a home with a job that she loves.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I have been watching the Finger Lakes pages as well. (And have big soft spot for Dewanna.) I am a year or so behind where you are…

If you can shop in Georgia, you might look at two trainers who regularly bring down FL horses for retraining. (They post on the Finger Lakes thread):

Maple Shade and A Pinch of Luck. Put those names in Google (add Farm to Maple Shade) and you will find the websites.

Very best wishes for finding a great match for eventing!

I think most conformation flaws would not be an issue if your goals are low level eventing and dressage..

You can also try Rerun..they have some in your area too I believe.. Racehorses can be tough if your personalitiws do not match up. I would want to go and see and touch them before I bought one for myself....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"