The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Breeding a Knabstrupper

OK, so I'm getting serious about this. I think I plan on breeding this next year for spots, and I'm liking the Knabstruppers. The mare is straight Swedish, dad was in Olympics, SUPER talented and great mover, hot and not the easiest ride, long-backed, 15.3, but probably stunted from shipping fever. She's had five babies. The three grown ones are 16.1, 16.2, and 17 hands. I have two by her from Freestyle (to mellow out, add height, shorten back) who look pretty super and to be 16.2/16.3 at least. The mare is super talented and has gone from greenbroke broodmare to 3rd/4th level and schooling piaffe/passage (it settles her down) in three years, while having babies. She's MUCH easier to train when pregnant. She's bay and has produced bay, black and chestnut with minimal white.

Spots are my first love, and I love the Appies, but am going for the Knabs. They seem to have a lot of the same qualities, except Knabs. seem more consistent in type and color production. And they're unusual, which is cool.

So, what is likeliest to get me spots, over 16 hands, shorter back, keep the fabulous movement of the mare to get a dressage mover? I think Colorado is out because he's a leopard. I like Ecuador, but he is smaller and has a longer back. Maybe Ravaldi? He's bigger and produced Cita, whom I really like.

What are my registration options? I don't think SWANA will register, though that would be cool! I am not going to travel the country for a small inspection, but might if it's close. I don't know that I really care about inspection, but some papers would be nice.

Those few of you breeding, not that I'm looking to sell, but how are they selling? Are people looking/paying more for spots or not? I know I'll mostly be talking with Melyni, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts, and this might be useful for others, too.

To guarantee spots you are going to have to go with a few spot stallion. Avaiable here are the few spot stallions Pegasus (available fresh), Ecuador and Ravaldi (both available frozen). None of these are very tall (15.3 or so). All three have decent movement. I haven't noticed any LONG backs on the offspring of any of them.

Registration options are American Knabstrupper Association (with tons of marketing and promotion of the breed and year end awards and USDF All Breeds Awards), RPSI (auxillary book and no marketing of Knabstruppers at all) or KNN (mother registry in Denmark that has just begun holding inspections in US, still quite expensive as a result and no marketing here, although they did this year sign up for USDF All Breeds Awards). All require the mare to be inspected and approved. KNN and RPSI require the mare to be presented to them for inspection. AKA will accept the scores of another legitimate warmblood registry inspection.

Your decision where you go.

They are not selling like hotcakes yet, but there is more and more interest in them all the time. I think as time goes by and more people become familiar with them and realize what wonderful minds they have as well as their athletic abilities, we will see more people make the switch.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I would go with breeding to Pegasus. First of all he is available to you fresh semen and produces foals with fabulous movement and so far all have been spotted. I do have a colt, well now stallion, by him that is out of a 15.1 hh Arabian mare and the stallion is now, as a three year old, already 16.1 hh and still growing. He may well go to 16.2 if not more and he moves like a top dressage horse. All other Pegasus foals I got have also been premium rated and all get you the stars from heaven with their trot. Walk and gallop is very good too, otherwise no premium award
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

Default Don't overlook Halifax

There is also Halifax Middelsom, who is also a few spot, fully licensed and is available by shipped cooled or fresh semen.

SO far none of the Knabstrupper foals by any of these stallions have had long backs, they are generally short coupled horses.
    They all throw nice movers, and they all have the great Knabbie mind.

Registration;, if your mare is registered SWANA and has an inspection score, any of those stallions make the foal eligible for KNN.

As for which one, ah that's a hard choice, but you do have 4 to choose from!

What fun.

MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Aurum--Pleeeeeeeeeeese can I see the results? Please? I would LOVE to see some video. The website for Pegasus doesn't have much. He is actually the closest to me, so that's the good part. Can I see your colt and all others? That would be SO great. I've been on your site and saw stills, but I really need video to get a clue.

Melyni--Halifax is your young un, right? Does he have anything on the ground? I guess my concern with that is I want to have the most likelihood of getting color and movement, and I want to see a record of get and what they look like. Your lovely Cita is out of Ravaldi, and I like that result.

Since this is kind of a gamble anyway, I want to go with a proven record. I'm not much into breeding something with an unproven record since I make so few.

So, I could register a Dutch spotted horse and show as such? He he. That would be fun. I would just prefer to stay with once registry--cheaper. I'll have to check with SWANA. The mare has been inspected, and once I actually put in her performance record, should be premium. It looks like I may be able to do that, too. I'll put in an email.

Here you go:

Perseus vom Falkenhorst as a foal:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fAmuKPUdd4
    and as a 3 year old stallion - he had a beautiful thick tail but the buddies have ruined all of their tails in 2008-2009 when they were playing together, but they all grow back quite fast:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOkAuf9choo
    he

and here is Perikles vom Falkenhorst, he is a rare Palomino spotty:
    as a foal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvJv51wbp40
    and as a three year old
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ote98E-gyc
    Gwendolyn

Thank you, Aurum--very useful. I found those baby videos before, but didn't know they were from Pegasus. It's very good to see how they grew up. He really did improve the Arab. mare. How do you feel about the neckset of both of them. It's always hard to tell as a baby, but as three year olds, they both seem to have very similar ones that must be coming from Pegasus as they don't look like the mares. Do you know, are there any going Pegasus babies, as being ridden and shown?

Melyni has the oldest Pegasus offspring as far as I know. I do have two full sisters to Perseus which I have kept for breeding. The boys are all for sale.
    Gwendolyn

Default Yes I think you are right Aurum

I have a 5 yr old and a 4 yr old by Pegasus as well as a yearling.
    Peony and Paula are nice mares but neither have any competition record due to have had foals and in Paulas case an injury.
    The only one of those stallions with offspring that are competing is Ravaldi. So if that's important to you then I'd say go with him.
    MW

Quote Originally Posted by aurum View Post
    Melyni has the oldest Pegasus offspring as far as I know. I do have two full sisters to Perseus which I have kept for breeding. The boys are all for sale.
    Well, the oldest would be Pendragon, but I don't think Patricia if showing him.

He does seem to have nice babies - but then, I'm probably just a tad prejudiced on the subject. There is another son of his here in the USA that is out of an Arab mare who was quite short and I believe the offspring is at least a hand taller than his dam. Unfortunately, his owner has not got him showing at this time.

Melyni is correct, I think the only few-spot that has foals showing in the USA is Ravaldi, so if that is a factor, there you have it.

I do also like Halifax and we are thinking of doing an outside breeding to him at some point in the future.

Equador is a nice boy as well, but he is Apollon bred, so I haven't really looked very closely at this time as Pegasus is of that same line.

Personally, I think you would do well with any of the few-spots that are available.
    There's Knothing Like a Knabstrupper!

So... not to hijack, but... are there any other websites for knabs for sale other than the one you have Melyni?

I'm seriously doing my baby search now and want spots!! Fancy spots

(not that those aren't fancy, but.. just wanting options! I really like the Legolos baby too!)

Thank you, guys. This has been very helpful. I will contact Pegasus' owner as well as talk to Melanie when I have time off for winter break. I think it's between Ravaldi and Pegasus, but, as you say Melyni, with Ravaldi being the only one with going get (and I really like them--both Cita and that bay mare) that kind of gives him a huge jump. But, I have to see how my vet feels about frozen. Sigh.

Fleckin--what are you looking to breed?

Not breed... but buy!

I don't have a mare at the moment. Well, my appy mare is 28 and has foundered previously and I believe is maiden, so I'm thinking that she's not the best candidate I'm sure I could find one to breed, but... I'm thinking I'd rather just buy.

Thanks for the sites I've been watching sonesta farms too, but didn't know about the other one.

Thanks!

PS... those are some GORGEOUS horses!!! Daddy's and babies!

We have 7 Knabstruppers for sale at present and two spotted foals to be born in 2011: http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com/gfsaleslist.html just scroll through the list. Paloma needs a new picture though.
    Gwendolyn

Ooooohhhh!!!

I LOVE Raubritter vom Falkenhorst

Too bad I'm in the US and can't afford to ship him over..... He's adorable!!!!

Default If you are looking for USA ones

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    So... not to hijack, but... are there any other websites for knabs for sale other than the one you have Melyni?

I'm seriously doing my baby search now and want spots!! Fancy spots

(not that those aren't fancy, but.. just wanting options! I really like the Legolos baby too!)
    Then I'm afraid that your options are a bit limited.

Sonesta has some, and there are a few others scattered around, but there just are not that many in the USA. Now if you are willing to buy one from Europe, Gwen has some gorgeous ones, Raubritter v Falkenhorst is just superb, and there are some nice ones in Denmark.

This is a rare breed and there simply are not that many of them, sorry.
    If you check Dreamhorse you can see some of them, Andrea Maneke has a nice gelding by Ecuador for sale, called CCS Gandalf, there is a really nice stallion, Harlequin Middelsom for sale in Arizona, so good luck I hope you find a nice one.
    MW

Default Another filly for sale in Virginia

I saw this one named Fanfare for sale as a yearling and she looks just darling! I love her head! KNN registered out of a TB dam. Nice looking girl. http://www.spottedsporthorses.com/index.php?id=45

Melyni's are fabulous as well, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting some in person. But yes there are still so few out there. You could possibly look into a custom requested breeding with a Knab breeder for a 2012 foal too I am sure. That opens all sorts of options depending on the pedigree and purpose that you are looking for.
    Standing White Magic, cremello Jockey Club stallion~ www.whitemagictb.com
    RIP~Zack, 1976-2007; always there when I needed you to the very end; run free with the girls, until we gallop together again!

THanks guys!!

And I thought my search was limited looking for a fancy Appy cross So... at least now that I'm adding in Knabbies, it gives me a few more options.

But I'm not limiting myself to just the knabstruppers... will also keep looking at my Appy Sporthorses

Thanks!!

Default If it's a leopard spotted filly foal that you want

Try Baroque-n-Dreams, they have a super filly by Pegasus out of a really nice warmblood mare, her name is Patriot, and she is just gorgeous.
    They don't have a website with an ad, but I'll bet Diane has about 2 two thousand pictures of that baby!
    MW