The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much Seattle Slew?

Foal with Seattle Slew 3rd gen on sire, 4th gen on dam? Parents very much sporthorse types. Total outcross other than that. I am a big Slew fan, but was curious what others would think?

Jennifer

My only opinion on it, is that I have heard from people that wobblers is common in slew lines and that would be my biggest worry. I do not have a ton of experience in the area, but I have had several breeders tell me this.

Our Stallion 'Noble Houston" is a 3rd Gen Slew (by Houston). Approved RPSI and OLD. Produces extremely nice sporthorse types. We even bred him to a 3 gen Slew mare for a 3x3 cross and the foal is outstanding. Nearly Black, 4 socks, blaze and a Gold RPSI foal. She is turning 4, was started in 2010 and is now owned by an intermediate 14 year old girl who loves her to pieces. The trainer plans to show her in the pre greens in 2011. Said its the nicest and easiest horse shes had in a long time. Jumps a 10 and moves the same!

Dont know if this helps but you can visit his site
    www.noblehouston.com and see the amazing ability he has to consistently produce top hunters crossed on various types of mares. One of his foals out of an Appy mare at just 4 years old is alredy a 3x WORLD Champion!!

The 3rd Gen slew mare we have (by Williamstown) was also bred to our BWP stallion Coronado WW and also produced a Gold RPSI foal. So we had good luck both ways.

Worldwide Equine
    www.worldwideequine.net
    Standing:
    Coronado WW, Fal Turro WW, Noble Houston, and our newest addition the Black Grand Prix Jumper Stallion High Five !

The stallion Gatsby is from a Slew damline. He was bred to a TB mare with Slew on her damline through Houston.
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/inde...mall_font=1&l=

Some foal pics here...scroll down to Jump Start:
    http://www.foxdalefarm.us/2009_foals.htm

Granted, at 4-4 it's pretty far back. Never heard of wobblers before in Slew lines, and I do try to pay attention to everything I can find about them, as I have a Slew-line broodmare.

ETA: Looks like he had surgery in his late 20's for arthritic impingement in his cervical spine due to age, and continued breeding mares afterward.
    Last edited by selah; Dec. 11, 2010 at 03:51 PM.

He did have a crooked leg, not that it hindered his performance But, not something I'd want to chance with line-breeding. I never heard what it was due to, and I did hear from a reputable TB racehorse breeder that he did pass it on to a few of his get, so...