The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Timefault Guest

Default Advice Needed.....

i board my horse at a large boarding facility. I have an ex-race horse who i have owned for 6 years. This horse has always had the luxury of either 24 hour turn out or at least 6 hours....which is crucial for this animal. Now where we board the horse is turned out for maybe 2 hours every few days. The horse is beside itself with anxiety. By the way, I was lied to by the barn owner about the turnout. Anyway, I am very concerned as a fellow boarder told me that my horse was "very vocal" last night. This is just another in a list of behavior this horse is showing because of lack of turn out. We are leaving this barn at the end of the month for sure. I am so worried though that this behavior is going to get even worse and horse is going to end up, somehow, hurting itself. The barn we are going to is under construction so there is no way I can take the horse there yet. There is however, a small boarding barn right next to the new barn and I am thinking of taking the horse over there (if they let me) until the new barn is completed. These barn owners believe in as much turn out as possible. I just don't want an already anxious horse to be even more anxious with all of this moving but look at the alternative. Please help me to make a decision.

Move your horse now.
    Sheilah

Can you spend some time longeing him or messing with him so you engage his mind, if not his body?
    A bored TB is a very, very bad thing (I mean that light-heartedly).
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Timefault Guest

Mainly the only time I can get to the barn is when the 1,000's of lessons that this place has are in session. Along with the other boarders who are riding at the same time, it would make for a huge mess, especially if my horse decides to really get the energy out. We do try to get out there as much as possible but it just isn't possible to get there every day (we just mainly go to make sure the horse is okay and safe).

I think we need to make a sticky topic (and this isn't meant to be snarky, these posts just happen all the time) that say "If you're having major issues with a BO or fellow Boarder that you think may result in injury to yourself, someone else, or your horse, MOVE YOUR HORSE NOW. Do not pass GO, do not collect $200, don't even think twice, just MOVE."

It could be the COTH PSA.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Just to get through the next few days/weeks until you can move him -- is there some sort of calming supplement that might help him cope with the confinement?

Why wait? You'll have to pay until the end of the month, but nobody says you have to be there any more.

Meanwhile, get to him as often as you can, and spend time with him outside, even eating grass on the side of the driveway on a lead line with you holding him. Bring a book. Longe line outdoors. Hand walk him around and around the farm. Again, let him graze on the line.

It will take time and patience to care for him before you leave, but there is nothing saying you have to stay. I'd get out now while he's still the great horse you knew.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

You're perfectly justified in moving the horse for its own good. But, you need to compensate the current BO for the lack of 30 days notice.

Presumably, if you're leaving at the end of December anyway, you've already given notice and already paid the full December board. So just pack up the horse sooner rather than later.

You don't need to tell the current BO anything beyond a simple explanation of wanting the horse to have more turnout.

End of story.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Did this same thing just get posted today or yesterday?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoRider View Post
    Move your horse now.
    Sheilah
    YES.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Time for a rant from a boarder to BOs everywhere:

If there's one thing that I as a boarder demand, demand, demand from BOs is truthful representation of the turnout situation. It's your farm, do whatever you freaking want, but don't WASTE MY TIME by not being completely explicit and honest about how much and under what conditions horses go outside. If you say one thing and do another, I'll just have to move my horse anyway. Save us all some time and be HONEST.

Is it just me, or is it a perpetual problem when we need to politely confront this or that horse professional (BO, vet, farrier, etc.) and say, "I regret to say that I find it necessary to end this business relationship."?

Ladies (and it is far too often women), we should all resolve to be better at this. Put on your big girl panties. You can do it. I can't count how many threads we have on here that boil down to "I dread confrontation, please help me find a way not to have to say or do something that will make someone unhappy."

Yes there are crazies, but they really are not the majority. They just feel like they are the majority of cases. For every story where someone gets chased off a property with guns and cops and restraining orders all around, there are probably 1000 that are completely uneventful. Really.

Done ranting now.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Move. Now. And be prepared for to give a round of GastroGard.

Timefault Guest

I agree 100% that if SOME barn owners would just be honest instead of trying to fill empty stalls, then so much would be eliviated, as in this case. Yes, we are paid til the end of the month and yes, I did give my 30 days notice. Yes, I put the horse on a calming supplement (but this horse is so worked up, I don't even think it's working). I can't take him outside because there are 2 feet of snow on the ground....I wish I could, I would love to bring a chair and a book. I just want to do what's best for my horse and since I've not ever been in this kind of situation before, I don't want to add anymore stress to an already stressed out animal. I talked to my vet about the Gastroguard too...can you tell I've been thinking alot about this(!) and he doesn't think the horse needs it. But if he does, I will definately give it to him.

I think it sounds like you believe the best thing for the horse would be to move him now. You know the horse - we don't. Move him!
    FWIW, I'm a firm believer in giving as much turnout as possible and I have beasties who would go nuts in the situation you described.
    Y'all ain't right!

it's the usual 'if you have to ask here, you already know the answer'
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Timefault Guest

I know, I know(!), I mean, I want the horse moved...yesterday...but honestly, I really don't know if it will be worse to move him to another barn for 2 1/2 weeks and then move to yet another barn the next day. I've not ever had to do this so I really don't know if it will mess him up even more. I mean, yes, he NEEDS turnout and it's affecting him in ugly ways not to have it but would it be BETTER to move him or would it just make him as anxious but for different reasons? You know what I'm trying to say!?!?!? Seriously though, I honestly don't know the answer to my own question.

As a barn owner I never understand the logic in WANTING to keep a horse stalled? Everyone here is pasture board, but I have had a stall board once in a while come and go. I stall when they want and under whatever conditions the want. If they want them out more than in, less work and expense for ME and better for the horse. I blanket everyone in weights according to temp, wether they have a blanket or not (I have a bunch and will use mine for those that don't have a blanket) and in bad weather (snow, freezing rain or wind and rain) they ALL come in, whether they pay full board or not.

Anyway, I would rather have a horse out than in. Just less work, LOL! But then I have enough sacrafice paddocks to where it's ok and don't worry about the pastures, just close them off.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    Time for a rant from a boarder to BOs everywhere:

If there's one thing that I as a boarder demand, demand, demand from BOs is truthful representation of the turnout situation. It's your farm, do whatever you freaking want, but don't WASTE MY TIME by not being completely explicit and honest about how much and under what conditions horses go outside. If you say one thing and do another, I'll just have to move my horse anyway. Save us all some time and be HONEST.

Is it just me, or is it a perpetual problem when we need to politely confront this or that horse professional (BO, vet, farrier, etc.) and say, "I regret to say that I find it necessary to end this business relationship."?

Ladies (and it is far too often women), we should all resolve to be better at this. Put on your big girl panties. You can do it. I can't count how many threads we have on here that boil down to "I dread confrontation, please help me find a way not to have to say or do something that will make someone unhappy."

Yes there are crazies, but they really are not the majority. They just feel like they are the majority of cases. For every story where someone gets chased off a property with guns and cops and restraining orders all around, there are probably 1000 that are completely uneventful. Really.

Done ranting now.
    Excellent post.
    friend of bar.ka

Ok, you've owned this horse for 6 years, and if I'm understanding correctly, you've moved him at least twice (once where he had lots of turnout, then to this barn where he gets 2 hrs)? So, how does he settle in when moved? If he's been a nutso idiot each time, and has taken months to settle, you have cause to worry about moving him/then moving him again in 2 l/2 wks. I get that.

However, he's nutso now - so move him already! And I'm betting that the barn that is being built will not be ready in 2 1/2 weeks....things always get behind schedule. This horse needs his turn out, especially since you cannot get out to the barn very often.

You didn't say 'why' you can't get to the barn...but for the sanity of this horse, you may need to get up early and turn him into an empty arena to run off some steam, or pay someone to do it for you while you are deciding what it is you are going to do.

However, he's nutso now - so move him already! And I'm betting that the barn that is being built will not be ready in 2 1/2 weeks....things always get behind schedule. This horse needs his turn out, especially since you cannot get out to the barn very often.
    THIS.

I have never heard of a construction project running on time 2 weeks before Xmas. Not. Ever.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09