The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cold Ears means cold horse ??

Is this a myth ?

The tips of his ears are always cold. I have heard that if the tips of his ears are cold it means he is cold.

I hope not because he must be freezing !!!
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

In the summertime, are his ears cold then, too?

If he keeps his tail tucked and is shivering, he's cold.

I wouldn't worry about his ears unless he was shivering, as Beasmom said.

Where temps get down and stay down, in the double digit, minus temps, I might worry about frostbite. Have seen a few of those horses from some Western states, ranch horses with tips off their ears.

Otherwise, not so much of a winter problem.

We had some horses from Canada, winter temps were -40F, a lot of their winters. For days on end! They were range horses, had some woods for shelter at times. All their LARGE ears were perfect, no damage or freezing on them at all. They were wintered outside for years, before we purchased them, still no damage to their ears. In fact, looking at ALL the ranch horses, couple hundred over a couple days, we didn't see any damaged ears despite their rugged winter temps.

Some parts of a horse are just fine when cold, like legs. You do NOT want to be feeling heat in your horse's legs, that is a BAD sign. Cold legs are very desireable on your horse! I am sure your horse's ears will be fine as well, even cold.

Myth or not, I've used this as a telltale sign for years. Like Beasmom was probably implying, you have to know your horse well enough. I know that my gelding's ears are usually a nice warmth, if they are not I put his MW blanket on. To recheck later on, I slid a hand up under the blanket by the girth area, if its a mild warmth he's good. If its sweaty, I take his blanket off. If there's still no warmth, be probably needs his fleecy sheet too. I rarely have to do that though. I hardly use more than his MW blanket and it gets frigid here.

My mare on the other hand, she's a woolly mammouth. But even when her ears are cold (WHEN she lets me touch them), I still don't blanket her. She'd rather be naked.

My horses' ears are always cold in winter. As long as the rest of him is warm under a blanket, he's happy.

Myth. My horse is warm underneath his blanket. His ears are cold to the touch.

Im leaning toward myth as well, hes already in his MW and has been for 2 weeks, heck hes been wearing a sheet since Halloween. He’s a weenie and gets cold easily.

He’s not shivering (and I have seen him shiver, that’s my cue to throw on a sheet when everyone else is doing fine) but hes *stiff* and not when I’m riding, just walking stiff behind and it looks uncomfortable, I feel bad so I checked his ears and sure enough they were cold, but he was warm under his blanket so I just left him go.
    Ride it like you stole it....ohhh sh*t

I don't really check my mare's ears, I usually slide my hand under her blanket and kinda bury my fingers in her coat. If she feels cool or cold, I blanket up. If she's warm, I keep the same blanket. If she's hot, or clammy/moist/damp, I blanket down.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by ksetrider View Post
    Myth or not, I've used this as a telltale sign for years. Like Beasmom was probably implying, you have to know your horse well enough. I know that my gelding's ears are usually a nice warmth, if they are not I put his MW blanket on. To recheck later on, I slid a hand up under the blanket by the girth area, if its a mild warmth he's good. If its sweaty, I take his blanket off. If there's still no warmth, be probably needs his fleecy sheet too. I rarely have to do that though. I hardly use more than his MW blanket and it gets frigid here.

My mare on the other hand, she's a woolly mammouth. But even when her ears are cold (WHEN she lets me touch them), I still don't blanket her. She'd rather be naked.
    Same. The Unblanketed Beast's ears will get cold (they are usually warm/warm-ish) if it's super cold/extra windy, but I don't put a blanket on him unless he's starting to shiver, he prefers to stay naked.

The Blanketed Beast's ears, however, are a dead giveaway that if they are anything but toasty I had better be adding a layer, Or Else...