The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Feed Cart Solutions?

Now that I have four horses at home, each one eating something slightly different, I need some sort of a feed cart solution. Running back-and-forth to the feed room with a single scoop 16 times a day is not cutting it!

I looked online and saw some for around $500 -- but that is simply not happening.

I have a little wagon, and thought of scooping everything into a couple of feed buckets and pulling that down the aisle -- but am concerned about how awkward it will be at each stall to try to scoop out of a bucket?

Any ideas?

Invest in a Rubbermaid Farm Big-Wheel Tough Cart. I bought mine at Home Depot.... Trust me, it'll pay for itself because it truly is a multi-use farm tool. I use it to move up to 3 bales of hay, have hauled water in it when the pump went, moved a HUGE tack closet and given the barn kitties rides

Then do individual feed buckets as you desire: different colors, names written in perm marker, etc. Line up the buckets in your feed room, scoop and measure into each as needed..... stack 'em up and put in cart.

I prefer these buckets mysef: 6-Gallon Fortex Flexible Bucket

They are "tub trug" knock-offs. I've had them three years and they're still going strong. All have been stepped on, flung, driven over (well, just one) and abused to no end.... no cracks, splits or other damage has occurred.

Easy to carry and pour -OR- just hang from a hook for later pick up.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I have four horses too. I have a large bucket into which I put 4 smaller stacked 2 gallon buckets each with feed scooped in the appropriate amounts. I dump the horses feed out of the prefilled buckets. One trip to the barn is all it takes. The buckets are all different colors and a different color is assigned to each horse so I don't get them mixed up.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

When I was feeding my 5 horses I used my garden cart. I already have a big, two wheeled F-350 type muck cart so I bought this lil thing which handles like a Porche in the barn. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 I would load up my bucket(s) with the needed rations and either dump the bucket contents or scoop out from one what that horse needed. Super handy cart because the sides drop down and you can pull oversized things- boards, hay bales- with ease. Kinda like having a handy teenager around without the teenager attitude or food requirements.

I would buy a shallow wide bucket - like a small pail and within set the pre-meaured cans - carry bucket & dump each can as you go.. ~ I use different size cans not always the large wide coffee cans,,, SOME LARGE SOUP CANS WILL HOLD THE CORRECT AMOUNT "WEIGHED" OF COURSE... AND THEY ARE NARROWER AND FIT IN THE BUCKET ~~~ OR OLD COFFEEMATE CONTAINERS ARE NARROW AND HOLD ALOT AND HAVE A TOP TO SEAL TO PREVENT SPILLS,,, SORRY ALL CAPTS STILL IN ROTATOR CUFF SLING AND TYPING IS TOUGH
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Since you only have 4 horses, why not just get four 8-qt buckets? Premeasure each horse's feed into one bucket, put those buckets on the wagon you already have, and dump premeasured feed into the stall feeders. No need for an expensive or fancy feed cart -- just for a few small buckets.

You may not even need to use the wagon. Just stack the buckets and carry.

I have 9. Feeding 4 different feeds.
    I fix all of the meals in the feed room, stack the buckets on a small flat cart (or in the wheel barrow when the cart has vanished to go do chores elsewhere), and wheel down the row. When the wheel barrow is missing too (not sure what happens to these things only at meal times), I simply carry the buckets in two stacks. The six horses on one side first, then come back for the last three.

No special tools needed. Just a stack of lightweight buckets. Since the horses don't eat from the carrying buckets, they don't have to be heavy or tough. Ice cream tubs work fine, old supplement buckets, whatever.
    Aelfleah Farm, Scurry, Texas
    BLUE STAR Arabians and
    Arabian-influenced Sportponies
    www.aelfleahfarm.com

That's what I love about this board! Why didn't I think about getting four smaller buckets???

I already have the wagon -- almost identical to what SLW uses. I just need four smaller buckets.

Sheesh -- why didn't I think of that???

Thanks, guys!

1 gallon ice cream pails with a handle work great - used them for the whole time these two were racing. Would just stand them on the cart along with water bottles and off I would go
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I have something like this
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/st...opper-bins-red on wheels that I can fill up with am/pm feed and each horse has their own container. Each container can hold a lot- upwards of 8lbs since many of mine get grain/rice bran and then wet beet pulp. I found mine on craigslist for under $100

I just carry my 4 buckets--dump, add to the bottom. Dump, add to the bottom. Easy peasy.

Ooooh, I love the 1-gallon ice cream pail idea! I can't wait to tell DH we need to eat more ice cream!

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Now that I have four horses at home, each one eating something slightly different, I need some sort of a feed cart solution. Running back-and-forth to the feed room with a single scoop 16 times a day is not cutting it!
    I feed 6 horses every night at home and every one of them eats something different. And they all eat soaked beet pulp which is wet, heavy, and can't be just scooped and dumped in a bucket. Everything else has to be mixed into it first.

I lay out my 6 individual small buckets in the feed room, fill them all accordingly, then stack them up in order and carry the whole stack out, stopping at each stall to put the bucket in for the horse. In some stalls the bucket hangs by a bracket on the wall, and for the others I just set the bucket on the floor.

My Paso is being leased out right now and the boarding barn where he is uses those large, Ziploc storage containers. Every morning they mix grain and supplements into each Ziploc container for the night feeding. Every one has the horse's name written on the lid in black marker. So they stack up the containers, then stop at each stall, unsnap the lid, dump it in, and go to the next stall.

That wouldn't work for me because of the beet pulp, but if you don't feed anything soaked, it would work great.

Ooooh, I love the 1-gallon ice cream pail idea! I can't wait to tell DH we need to eat more ice cream!
    I dunno, I'm thinking find a way to modify wine or gallon bourbon bottles.

Smart pak's tubs that they send out when you order one of their product in a tub is PERFECT for feeding. AND they have lids that stay attached and open 3/4 of the way AND they are stackable. I've been keeping all my old tubs for when I go out of town everyone can have feed pulled ina a air tight container with lid and handle.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Any ideas?
    I have little plastic buckets that kids use to build sandcastles.

Cost me about 1.50$ each, I think. Buckets are labeled with the horse's name.

Had them for years. I prepare the ration and just carry the wee buckets and dump them into the feed bins. Feeding takes but a couple of minutes.

Easy peasy.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Whatever you get, if it is any kind of rolling cart, be sure it fits thru any openings like doors you have to pull it thru.

I buy the smaller 8-qt fortiflex buckets and each horse has its own color bucket. They make lots of colors. http://www.fortexfortiflex.com/plasticpails.html

I dish them up the night before and stack them inside the metal garbage cans we use for feed. I only have three horses, but buckets can be easily stacked, even when full, in a cart.

I sorta feel like an idiot for not thinking of this on my own!

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    Since you only have 4 horses, why not just get four 8-qt buckets? Premeasure each horse's feed into one bucket, put those buckets on the wagon you already have, and dump premeasured feed into the stall feeders. No need for an expensive or fancy feed cart -- just for a few small buckets.

You may not even need to use the wagon. Just stack the buckets and carry.
    That is exactly what I do for 9 horses twice a day. I use 8 quart paint buckets.