The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canter cuties - who do you like?

Overall, I like the chestnut more. I am not a fan of how his neck attaches, but he has a much nicer shoulder. With proper work his topline should fill in and his neck will look much nicer. The brown filly is cute, but her shoulder seems pretty straight, though the picture angles are kind of awkward.

I like the filly better.

The filly is gorgeous, but according to the CANTER site she has been sold.

The chestnut gelding is very cute, like Reagan, I'm not a huge fan of how his neck ties into the rest of his body, but he has a great shoulder on him. He has a very kind eye, just enough flash to him and looks to be a solidly built horse. Also love his height and his pasterns don't seem to be too long. Could definitely tell more by better pictures, but overall I really like him.

I am wondering--he's 3 and 17-ish hands--how big is he gonna get? He may grow to fit his neck better as he could STILL be in the gawky phase as the taller ones don't usually mature until later. I like him overall, though, especially his hind end (something about the filly's bothers me, but someone bought her anyway.) He makes a good first impression.

LVR-we like the same kind! I love the gelding. His shoulder/ top line is beautiful. I think the neck is a match to the rest of him-his training doesn't ask him to lengthen and stretch the crest of his neck, so it appears to be a little upside down. I think his good balance will make it pretty easy to change that as he starts his retraining. If I'm gonna knock anything, those seem to be teeny feet for such a big boy. But, he's started 15 times and he's still in one piece-good enough for me!

As he grows up, gains weight and muscles up, he's gonna be a tank.

That's my back yard amateur's take on him. I love to read everybody's opinions, and how differently we see conformation.

I really like this one, and he's started his retraining down in NC.

Jersey (aka Bruce)

Can't wait to see new photos of him as he gets going. He's just a real sweet sort, a kick-along sort of fellow, and super adorable *grin* Should have "real" conformation photos and more info available shortly

Horses still at the track... I kinda like this one:

Delta Moon

Not sure why. I might try to get a better picture of him this weekend. *grin* I suspect he's nicer than he looks there, or maybe I'm being hoodwinked by his cute face? I'm a sucker for a cute face. heh.

Matty Bear I think is quite handsome too.

I really liked this filly in person, not perfect conformation but she's just wonderfully sweet: Westminster Abbey

"smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Well I bought the filly - even though most dont seem to like her. I guess we shall see when she gets home.

I was thinking about getting the chestnut as well.. but not sure finances can can handle four horses..

I like Matty Bear a lot too.

OOOH, I like the filly! congratulations! She looks very nice to me!

Kind of funny that they stated Matty Bear was very well behaved for his photoshoot when his confo shot shows him with a chain on his gums? Maybe it's typical of racehorses, but I've only ever seen a chain over the nose in other CANTER pictures.

I've only ever seen/used a chain on the gums with a rangy stud during a live breeding, and I have to admit I would be a little wary if this horse needed it to be controlled. Generally the chain over the nose will suffice.

Hoepfully it's just something that certain trainer does...

PS, OP, congrats on your filly.

Quote Originally Posted by over the moon View Post
    Kind of funny that they stated Matty Bear was very well behaved for his photoshoot when his confo shot shows him with a chain on his gums?
    There are several trainers that use lip chains pretty much no matter what.

Some trainers will bring horses out with no leadrope at all, too. One of the quietest horses I ever saw at the track (even with a horse behind him freaking out and all the activity and a manure rolloff truck dumping off a bin) had a lip chain on. I've learned it's hard to judge based on what their wearing (chains and leg wraps and such).
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Well I bought the filly - even though most dont seem to like her. I guess we shall see when she gets home.

I was thinking about getting the chestnut as well.. but not sure finances can can handle four horses..
    Congrats! I hope you get a good confo shot of her - she looked super cute with a lot of good about her, but it was hard to tell overall balance from the pictures. She wasn't standing up well in them, which may in part be due to racetrack muscles, things going on around her, lack of time - many reasons. But I think she looked very worth finding out more about from those pics!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I posted a couple I particularly liked in another confo critique thread. The one I was going to add here was Matty Bear. Glad others liked him! He has really different build than my other two - I'm interested if you guys agree - much more of what I think of as an eventer/jumper vs. a hunter. But the hind end going away from the camera makes it hard to evaluate. Like to see a straight shot to get a better idea of the true angles there. Also, there's a convex look to one back hoof that seems odd to me. What's up with that? But still and all - would love to see this horse move.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    Congrats! I hope you get a good confo shot of her - she looked super cute with a lot of good about her, but it was hard to tell overall balance from the pictures. She wasn't standing up well in them, which may in part be due to racetrack muscles, things going on around her, lack of time - many reasons. But I think she looked very worth finding out more about from those pics!
    I will get some better shots of her when she gets home.. she wont be home for at least 10 days..