The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Socks over or under breeches

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over

257 85.95%
  • Under

42 14.05%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Usually under for the shorter socks and over for the taller ones. Definitely over if I wear the one pair of breeches that has velcro at the calf.
    The Evil Chem Prof

i wear mine over most of the time,but at times i wear ankle socks too.i concur with the velcro problem as well.

If I'm wearing thin nylon knee highs, they go over.
    'Regular' type socks may go over or under, wherever they seem more likely to stay up.

Sometimes I just wear ankle socks though, so they obviously don't come anywhere near my breeches

It depends on the material.

My schooling tights do NOT pull on over socks. So socks go over them.

My full seats have loose ankles, pulling socks over them results in bunches. So, socks go under them.

My insulated breeches can be sandwiched between layers of socks.

I usually wear ankle socks with my breeches so they aren't really over or under. But I do wear my boot socks (nylon type) over top of the ankle socks and breeches.
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!

Always over and I don't even know why!

Default Over!

If I try to wear socks under breeches or tights then either the socks slide down to my ankles or the pants bunch under my knees. Boots go on a lot easier if they can slide over socks--and the tight leather keeps the socks smooth and in place.

"Dunn was over Unger, and I was over Dunn..."
    Last edited by armchair_Quaterback; May. 7, 2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Looks like I am in the minority with socks under breeches. I guess I do that because I predominantly where half chaps and paddocks so I don't worry about slipping into my tall boots (but talls are zips anyway, so I have socks under for talls, too). I don't like the "dent" for lack of better word my breeches make on my leg with a tall sock pushing the breeches against my skin. Plus, I love all my riding socks, which are not cheap, so I hate the thought of stretching them out!

But I have learned something here. I didn't even think of wearing the sport sock under and thin nylon sock over. That is a good idea on show days. The things you learn here...
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Under. It doesn't matter what breeches I'm wearing - velcro closure feels funky/bunched up if the sock is over, and elastic bottoms dig into my ankle if the sock goes over, but not so much if it's under. Plus, I agree with ParadoxFarm that I don't like to stretch out my socks!

When I show (or otherwise wear my tall boots), I have regular socks under, but put boot socks over. I'm usually just in paddocks and half chaps, though.

Socks under with TS's because the Velcro at the cuff digs into me. Over with Ariats or schooling breeches. I have custom boots with zippers so it's not an issue in getting them on.

Few years ago, a lot of the kids were wearing ridiculous print, thin boot socks-the louder the better and preferably not a matched pair-over the breeches walking around in clogs or slip ons between classes. It was silly but kind of fun...I joined them but more because I could never find a matching pair of the wild print ones with a cat who loved socks and could get into the sock drawer
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Hmmm, I've actually never thought about wearing them under! I'm an over girl, makes it easier to pull boots on, plus none of my breeches have velcro bottoms
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Both. A regular sport sock under (can't stand the feel of the velcro) and a thin knee sock over to keep everythig from riding up.
    This. Crew length sock under, Zock or similar over. And my Zocks rarely match because I grab the first two I can find. I really don't care.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Back in the dark ages when boots didn't have zippers I wore them over. Not sure I see the necessity of wearing them over if your boots have zippers?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

2 members found this post helpful.

Ankle sock on my feet, but thin Target special socks (they are only lucky if they are on clearance- after St. Patrick's Day rocked!) over my breeches. My calf-fat got stuck in the zipper once. Never again!
    ps- I'm 5'11", so my breeches only go halfway down my calf on a good day. Naked calves make for zipper food!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

Under, because the velcro on my breeches rubs my leg otherwise. My boots are zip on, so it doesn't make a difference.

Over, so that when I pull the boots up over the line between breech and sock, the breeches don't bunch up.

1 members found this post helpful.

Always over for me. And the brighter and more obnoxious the socks the better.

Over.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I wear mine over, but I always fold down the tops to avoid the awful socks-above-top-of-boot look!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Both. A regular sport sock under (can't stand the feel of the velcro) and a thin knee sock over to keep everythig from riding up.
    Same for me!