The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Socks over or under breeches

Voters
299. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over

257 85.95%
  • Under

42 14.05%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Socks over or under breeches?

Do you prefer to wear your socks over or under your breeches and why? Seems like it's an old fashion thing that kind of just stuck around. Although sometimes it seems hard to get velcro bottoms to lay flat which is annoying, I wear mine over them

I do over because it's easier to get my boots on that way. I will admit that I wear black socks so if by chance, one peeks out, it isn't noticable...but I look like an unfashionable geek, if I take my boots off.

I go by the order of which I get dressed. I tend to put pants on before socks, so socks are over. When you not at a show it doesn't really matter because you are wearing boots for most of the time that your breeches are on, so I don't think its a fashion thing beyond when hanging out at shows or on hot summer days... haven't seen it around town yet

In the winter I have one pair under my breeches and second pair over my breeches

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    I do over because it's easier to get my boots on that way. I will admit that I wear black socks so if by chance, one peeks out, it isn't noticable.
    Ditto.

I do think the look of a hot pink sock showing at the top of the boot is a fashion don't.

1 members found this post helpful.

Depends! I have an old pair of breeches that has a velcro piece going a little goofy, and it rubs, so for that pair, they go under. If they're new and a nylon-esque material (Zocks, trouser socks, whatever), they go under until they get their first snagging/pilling, then they go over. I prefer over, but I'm willing to compromise.

They always go over and I wear thick socks if I'm wearing my half chaps, because they're too big.

A reason for everything... Haha.

Over. The velcro on my breeches is always too long so there's a big flap of it sticking out and the socks keep it from folding funny when I pull my boots on.

For everyday I just wear a pair over, but when I show my tall boots are not as well constructed as my paddock boots, so I wear a thicker pair under my breeches, and then thin boot socks over to help my boots slide on

Depends. With my daily riding breeches aka kerrits than they are just regular socks under because the elastic irritates my ankle if not. With tailored sportsmans or ariats than I wear them over with boot socks.

Both. A regular sport sock under (can't stand the feel of the velcro) and a thin knee sock over to keep everythig from riding up.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tamarak_equestrian View Post
    Over. The velcro on my breeches is always too long so there's a big flap of it sticking out and the socks keep it from folding funny when I pull my boots on.
    The velcro flap is always soo annoying, it sticks out and feels weird under my socks too. I HATE it..

Depends

If the boots are pull-on, then on the outside of course! If they are zippered or I'm wearing 1/2 chaps, then it's not as important. But usually on the outside because I usually put my pants on first.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Both. A regular sport sock under (can't stand the feel of the velcro) and a thin knee sock over to keep everythig from riding up.
    Ditto.

I am the same as above. I wear regular white socks under and fancy boot socks over. I can't stand stuff rubbing my leg and well...without the boot sock I wouldn't be getting my tall boot off!

I wear mine over my breeches, but I wear sport ankle socks under my tall boot socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    This!
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by tamarak_equestrian View Post
    This. And when I use my pull on boots it seems to make everything slide on easier.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

Over.
    Always over for me! I don't mind the look of socks on the outside. In fact, I wear my Nikes with breeches and tall socks when I don't have my tall boots on (my joints can't take the stress of walking in boots all day so I wear my Nike running shoes).

Usually over- and that's about 99.9% of the time... though I've been wearing capri-length leggings under my breeches lately and so I've pulled the knee-high socks up over the cuff of the capris, then pull the breeches on- keeps the capris in place. I could then pull the knee sock down and up, over the breeches... but thats just soooo much effort in the morning (plus then i'd feel the velcro on the ankle- eeeaaauuugghh i hate that. The worst is the rubber elastic ankle band on the skin- that HURTS after a day in the heat!)

sock choices/boot fit is a huge distractor for me. I feel really off when i alter my routine and my boots/half chaps feel weird- more than clothing choices (regular bra vs sports bra? Dont even notice! New gloves/helmet/horse? Can barely tell. But if my riding socks arent available/clean...)
    When I showed I would have to ride in my tall boots for a week before the show just so I could get used to the socks/boot change. I strongly dislike the feeling of not wearing the 'right' socks, which is why i am going shopping for more ski socks this week. Thinsulate makes the best- not too thick to pinch, but pretty warm and soft even years later
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Over with pull-on boots.

Under (and sports socks, not boot socks or nylons) if I'm wearing zip-up boots or half-chaps and paddocks.