The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horsey Holiday memories!

How about a fun/happy thread? Post your favorite horsey memory of whatever holiday your family observes... special rides? sleighs? stable parties?

Mine? Opening Breyer horses (the only kind of horse I got to own) at Christmas! And even better, taking my Christmas money to Thruway shopping center toy shop (No idea what they were called) and trying to decide which one to buy next. My grandmother always is the one who took me... so many memories of her are wrapped up in those trips, made twice a year (birthday and Christmas).

They always had one of each displayed on glass shelves and the store owner or manager would always take them down one at a time for me to hold while I tried to make up my mind.

I remember the year the Andalusian came out I about drooled on the carpet waiting for him to be placed in my hot little hands! Truly my dream horse made plastic.

RIP my Meemaw. I surely miss her
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Thumbs up

What I would give to be the "appropriate" age to get those Breyers again! I still have all of mine, and I had amassed quite the herd!
    This year's holiday fun tradition was a "sluggy" ride around town. My dad helped me rig lights up to the sluggy (half sleigh half buggy... we dont have any snow), up the shafts and all of it hooked to a car battery. We got about three hours of power while giving rides to the neighbors...
    My mare was a saint about it! It was after dark, christmas lights were on the houses and those giant inflatable yard thing-ys... mare didnt even bat an ear.
    Sleighbells are not a common TX sound... though it really does make you want to sing christmas carols....