The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

NewDQ1 Guest

Default Baker Turnout blankets

I need to get a new turnout blanket for my horse. I bought him a new Rhino heavyweight last winter when I got him but he grew a little bit since then and now the 72 is a bit small. I was just going to get another Rhino since I've been happy with it. But I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Baker turnouts? They're a little bitter cheaper. I have always had the Baker stable sheets and liked them and I must say, I do like the look But I want to be sure I get a durable blanket that stays in place. Please let me know any experience you've had. (I know Rambo is the best but just can't afford one right now.) Thanks!

I have a baker turnout for my older retiree. I love the way it fits him, and I think its just incredibly adorable on him too (he's a buckskin). It does not shif and my boys are brutal on their clothing, playing tag and pulling at it, rolling, scratching on trees, etc. However, with only light useage he has managed to rip a big hole in the shoulder. Also, its wateproofing is starting to give out too, right over the loins.

This is the third season with this baker turnout and I'm contemplating throwing it out. Right now he's sporting a schnieders.

The schnieders is shifting and hanging funny on him though can't win 'em all.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

I have saxon 1200 denier blankets one is going on its fourth winter still water proof and no ripps. They stay put no shifting i have two saxons iam happy with the way they fit and they hold up good. I also have a defender blanket 1200 denier fits good stays put no shifting,but not as tough already have had to repair it ripped at seam twice and tail flap came undone. Keeps horse warm and dry but not a blanket i would buy again.1200 denier is the only way to go.

I had a Baker turnout and I loved it! Rambo's did not fit my thin TB at the time so I invested in this Blanket and it fit him wonderfully! I had it on a little TB mare I was trying to sell a few years ago and it fit her beautifully too, though she ended up shredding it...

I would definitely invest in another one, though I don't know how it will fit on a broader horse as I've only used it on slighter horses.

Ditto Reagan- excellent fit for narrow TBs but I've never tried it on anything wider. Mine is heading into its 4th winter and still holding strong (and unless is sleeting or absolute misery out, he is turned out 24/7, with very mouthy and playful buddies). I had to have the lining stitched at the end of last winter- I seriously doubt it was related to the fit but he managed to get the darn thing off (with all the buckles and straps still hooked!) one day and ripped one side of the lining. I suspect there was a pasture-mate or two involved, as they play pretty hard. Other than that, it's been perfect for me and I would highly recommend it. It's never rubbed him, is still very waterproof and has all it's original buckles/straps. And these days, I'm not sure I'd say Rambos are the best out there- at least not the new ones.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I've got a turnout sheet for one of my TB's (he's a farily chunky boy - not narrow). I think it's held up pretty well compared to my Rhinos. He was out of state with the sheet last winter and did need a shoulder guard, but I don't know if it was the sheet or blanket that caused the rubs. I guess I'll find out!
    Y'all ain't right!

Tornado the Wonder Horse does not have a blanket right now in spite of the Frickin' cold and wind here in NoVA. I have found several blanket candidates including a leopard spotted one, but I absolutely love Baker Blankets. Rambos are expensive and there is a cheaper alternative at the website where you get supplements.

I have the turnout sheet, and have not been impressed with its waterproofness after the first season. My cheapo Saxon and Weatherbeeta Landa ones are significantly better. I do like the fit for TBs, though.

I got my Saxons in 2005 and they are still holding up very well.

I am not a Baker fan. I love the way they look, but bedding always sticks to them and I always get static electrical shocks when I unblanket the horses. Huge static shocks...
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I don 't know about the turnout blankets by Baker, only the stable blankets.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

I'm on my eigth year with Baker heavy turnout blankets and the rain sheets. Still love them. Thay have been indestructible (well, one of my geldings did manage to twist himself in such a way that he was able to rip out much of the lining. when I saw him the next morning it looked like he was standing in snow.). Damned if I didn't duct tape it back together and it lasted two more years until I grew tired of re-ducting the lining! I use them both on horses turned out together and solo horses. I've used them on skinny TBs, 17.3 wide TBs and a chunky TB/Percheron cross -- all have fit.

I do remember a thread a while ago that they might have changed the fit of the Baker blankets and if so, I'm definitely talking about older ones.

As far as I'm concerned, the world could come to an end and the only things left standing will be cockroaches and my baker turnouts.

If I had to make one tiny complaint is that I have come to loathe front buckles and much prefer the snaps found on other brands. I am growing lazy in my old age ...
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

Valley Vet carries a line called Brookside, that has both a lightweight and midweight turnout. They fit my horses great. I think they have gottne Horse Journal awards for "best buy" or that sort of thing. I love that they have snaps for the surcingles rather than those dang "t' things.

I use them as stable blankets, but on cold mornings it I can turn them out in them too. I do not know how they compare to others in terms of durability and waterproof-ness. But they are inexpensive, and for things like turnout blankets and fly masks, I operate on the theory that they WILL get destroyed and why not just buy ones that are less expensive to replace?

I have both the Baker heavyweight and the sheet (the turnouts). I LOVE the way they fit in the shoulder.. it's more of a european cut that really comes up and doesn't sag. Neither have ever rubbed any horses I've had them on.

HOWEVER: Both blankets have very very thin nylon on the lining. The blanket and sheet's lining were both ripped after 1 season. I had them patched, but then they ripped again. The sheet ripped around the loins, the heavy blanket lining was literally disintegrating from the stitching around the front buckle closure on the chest. This was very disappointing considering how much these sheets cost. I have had much better luck with Rhinos, Rambos, and the weatherbeeta orican (my favorite of the weatherbeeta line). The Rhinos and oricans are fairly similar in price, and I have yet to patch or repair either of those, and they've lasted just as long.

NewDQ1 Guest

Thanks for all your replies! I think I am going to stick with the Rhinos since I've had such good success with them so far. Thanks!