The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    NoMoReLuCkyHoRsEShOeS Guest

Default How judgmental are you?

I’m fairly, but not obviously, judgmental.

If someone says "I was bucked" I think they sound like an idiot.

If a person says they do dressage and ride their horse in something other than a regular snaffle, I think they are full of it. By the same token, if someone talks about how nicely their horse collects but the horse has no topline, I assume they can't really ride.

If someone tells me their horse is sound until they get on it, and I see it trotting around the field with a head nod as obvious as a slut walking down the grocery aisle, I turn around, roll my eyes and make a mental note to not ever take them seriously.

Anyways, I'm a meanie, and I sleep just fine at night.

Good for you.

Don't dressage people have to ride in some kind of curb bit, once they're at a higher level?

Anyways, I AM JUDGING ALL OF YOU ALL THE TIME!

I wouldn't consider that judgemental! I like to say that your knowledge is a thousand times deeper and wiser. Now turning your nose up at someone who uses hot pink schooling pads, that might be judgemental. My dad and I have a long-standing joke b/w us (I get my smarts from him): "Sometimes its so hard being the smarter one, isn't it?"

Maybe some of us LIKE our hot pink baby pads with matching polos, Ms. Judgy-Pants!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

NoMoReLuCkyHoRsEShOeS Guest

My judgmental opinion on Dressage with curb reins: If I a see a DQ riding a horse in a double bridle and the rider has no seat and horse is going like crap, I assume the horse is in a double because the person "can't get its head down" and needs to go back to a lesson horse that a sack of potatoes couldn't fall off of and take longe lessons with out stirrups.

Someone (in highschool) once told me they got their horse to "give head". I said "Uhh, honey, never say that again, especially in public. You got your horse to put its head down, not to give head"

My judgmental opinion on dressing horses in vibrant colors: I don't have one. I don't care if you like pink. I don't care if your horse is dressed so vibrantly that when I see it I wonder if someone put acid in my coffee that morning. My horse however will be dressed conservatively, and I don't give a flying eff you judge me for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoReLuCkyHoRsEShOeS View Post
    Someone (still in highschool) once told me they got their horse to "give head". I said "Uhh, honey, never say that again, especially in public. You got your horse to put its head down, not to give head"
    Oh geez, thanks.....my belly hurts now.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Quote Originally Posted by NoMoReLuCkyHoRsEShOeS View Post
    Someone (still in highschool) once told me they got their horse to "give head". I said "Uhh, honey, never say that again, especially in public. You got your horse to put its head down, not to give head"
    <<snort>>

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    <<snort>>
    Ditto the snort!
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

Isn't that illegal is most states???

Whenever I hear stories that run along the same lines as "Once when I was younger, I had a horse rub me off on a tree/buck with me/kick me off," I have a big eye roll that strains the optical nerve to contain.

I'm very judgmental of people who have shithole barns and/or fences. VERY. I try not to be and I try to look at how the horses look, ie if the horses are fat and shiny and friendly, but it still happens. We were looking at boarding earlier this summer, and went to a place that was recommended, and as we drove in I told my fiance "Not a [censored] chance." Two strands of hot wire on t-posts 10 feet apart, that were invisible until you were about two feet away from them, two-sided lean-tos that blocked as much wind as a volleyball net, no arena, not a level spot on the property, rocks the size of my fists everywhere, not a blade of grass; horses were all fat and super friendly, but still. No way.

Also, people who use curb bits for trail horses, who have no need for one, horse is a plug, they use fuzzy purple girths and martingales (not sure what the western equivalent of that is....chest plate?), come out two times a month and ride for HOURS, bring back a sweaty horse, fart around and then leave for another two weeks. Again, I try not to judge. I try.

I used to be horribly judgmental of people who call foals "colts" as in colts are colts and fillies are filly-colts. And stallions, studs. And any three-beat gait is a lope no matter the speed, using the term "lope out" for anything up to a hand-gallop.

Then I fell in love with a Wyoming ranch cowboy. He chews Copenhagen, uses terms like "spank her bag" when he means get after a horse who is crow-hopping, expects respect from a horse, etc.

It's a regional thing for most of it, though I may still cringe at the colt thing and other stuff. I don't like that the only grooming implements he had was a stiff dandy the size of my forearm when we met, and now he steals my curries (both the body and the face).
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

I think you spend a lot of time thinking about other people and what they do
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.
    That made me laugh - Can I steal it?

The colt and stud thing is totally regional. That's like cringing over someone's accent.

Usernames. Those are something I get judgemental about.

Quote Originally Posted by rainechyldes View Post
    That made me laugh - Can I steal it?
    By all means!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Aaand...I am amazed that there are people who have nothing better to do than find things to criticize in other people. Glass houses and all that. Really, folks...such paragons of virtue and propriety. I'm sure if Aunt Esther weren't busy she'd have something to say about manners too!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Thumbs up

I needed a new sig. Thks Exjumper~!

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Aaand...I am amazed that there are people who have nothing better to do than find things to criticize in other people.
    Because that statement isn't judgmental
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I judge people who TyPe LiKe ThIs
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post

Usernames. Those are something I get judgemental about.
    Agreed. I assume that when someone's username IsSoMeThInGlIkEkNoWiTaLlSaLlY that they are still in middle school and their opinion should be weighed accordingly.

Anyone who really "knows" can look at a horse and rider and size up the knowledge and experience of both in usually a glance. Then they move on.