The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My fiance actually WANTS to do DRESSAGE!! need help w/ breeches!

Yes, thats right! My fiance, out of nowhere, tells me he wants to do dressage!! He even said he would maybe consider showing, one day, but thats not happening anytime soon! I was just shocked that he actually wanted to give it a shot, considering I think he secretly fantasizes about becoming John Wayne! However, at the same time, he IS german and loves everything and anything about germany. We recently saw a german dressage trainer give a clinic and he was pretty impressed. I think what convinced him to try dressage was when I told him that it originated from training Calvary horses in war. My fiance is a damn good rider and really likes it. However, hes always been in to JUST western trail riding.

Anyway, I digress. I didn't think he was serious about doing this until today he shows me 3 pairs of vintage, German-military-style breeches he bought from his sportmansguide magazine. I'm going to post a link of the exact ones he got. Will you guys check it out and see if it would be good for him? The thing that I thought was kind of weird is that they don't have knee patches or full-seat patches. Do you think he should have these for being a dressage beginner? Again, hes a good rider but NOT used to an english saddle.

heres the link.....http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=743162 I think its funny how it says "seen atop holsteiners, oldenburgs, etc. He was really trying to impress me with his german breed knowledge, when he showed me that description! I thought it was cute!

Oh, and I wanted to add. Should guys dressage breeches fit as tight as the womens? I'm guessing not, but just wanted to check. He sees my breeches on me and always says he "likes the way my butt looks in them but that he would never want to wear breeches that tight, or his junk may show, too much. Typical, male response!!

I think the ones he ordered look great on him and he likes them, too. I just need to know just how they should fit.

Just my two cents as a non-expert on menswear for dressage, but those look like ceremonial military wear--the sort of thing you'd wear in a parade, not for any kind of serious riding. If he's already bought them and can't return them, then you could have a seamstress sew knee patches on and buy him a suede saddle seat cover (http://theotherseat.homestead.com/).

But if you can possibly talk him into some real breeches, that would probably be much better. Try the closeout section at VTO Saddlery. Their specialty is eventing but they sell a lot of men's gear at super reasonable prices (like $40 and up for men's breeches).
    http://www.vtosaddlery.com/category/CO.htm

IMO, having ridden in everything from fancy britches to cut off jeans...if it makes him happy to ride in them.... go for it. If they turn out to be too slick, just by some tennis grip and spray it on the saddle.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    IMO, having ridden in everything from fancy britches to cut off jeans...if it makes him happy to ride in them.... go for it. If they turn out to be too slick, just by some tennis grip and spray it on the saddle.
    yeah, I would say don't discourage it at this point If he really gets serious about it he will probably reach the point where he realizes for himself that having suede patches/full seat would help.

Alternately you could pick up a pair of fullseats for him next time you order something horsey. Tell him they were "Such a good deal that you didn't want to pass it up"

Hey congrats.
    I buy my 20 yr old son Tuff Rider full seats from Dover (they are mens) and he really likes them, Yes they do tend to fit as tight as womens, and all the male riders I have known wear them like that. the junk doesn't show "unless" they are going commando I saw one like that once, all the ladies promptly told his trainer to talk to him about appropriate attire!

If he likes the ones he got, I second the sugggestion of having suede knee patches sewn on for him. but if they are wool, he may find them very itchy in short order!

vto has harry hall full seats that are a slightly baggier style, he might like those and they are reasonably priced.

Those pants are very cool-- stylish and undeniably masculine. I wouldn't worry about the lack of knee patches; lots of people wear jeans, tights, or "self" knee patch breeches without a problem. He might want to buy a lighter pair for summer, but for winter I think those are some pretty fantastic pants.

Itchy itchy itchy did I say ITCHY !?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Congrats!

Yeah, wool might end up being itchy...and harder to clean!

BUT let him figure this out and wait for him to ask you to go with him for some tack shopping!!!!

Does he have tall boots or paddock/half chaps? (some more shopping!)

When my husband started riding, we had a dilemma as he is 6'5". I took his exact measurements and gave them to Equissentials and asked for knee patches with some room in the thighs and buttocks.

They made them perfectly, just enough room through the thighs and buttocks, but tight enough through the calves so half chaps aren't bunching up the breeches, and of course tight enough in the waist that they stay on!

Thanks for all the good tips!

I'd let him wear whatever he wants when starting out - don't discourage him! I imagine that it won't take long at all before he realizes people wear what they wear for a reason, and he'll be asking for proper breeches.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

No advice on the breeches, but I do have to say, you lucky bum!!!!!!!! I had my SO convinced to try english and then his friend came along and said :"you're actually gonna wear those fruity tight pants???"

Ya that pretty much killed my dream LoL!! *sigh* at least he's still willing to do western.....