The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Info on this trainer/owner?

i bought my OTTB mare Bridal Gown about a year ago. The person i got her off of had no clue about her history. He even told me she had never raced, after doing some digging i came up with this information. I tried contacting her trainer/owner but they didnt remember much about her and said they would contact me with more info. never did. Just trying to find out some more information and maybe some explanation about her quirks.

Bridal Gown by Brunswick out of Solumn Vows. 1997 brown mare.

Born: april 22, 1997 to Naylor Morton in Kentucky
    October 26, 1998 bought at Fasig-Tipton October Kentucky yearling sale by R.B. McCutchen and trained at the McCutchen Training Center in Kingstree, SC
    13 starts. 1 third- $3,113
    raced mainly claiming races at the Mountaineer, some at Laurel Park, Colonial Downs, Timonium, and Churchill.

What concerns me is she raced in 2000 and there is a two year break and she comes back in 2002 with a different trainer, Virginia Demczyk but same owner( who had previously been her trainer also)

To be honest, as far as barn quirks and such go, unless she was REALLY quirky I doubt they remember much as she wasn't exactly a stellar racehorse going by those results. That was a long time ago to remember a horse who's basically a washout.

But I would wonder about that two-year break, too. That's a LONG layoff. Where did she come back to race in 02? For some reason the trainer's name sounds vaguely familiar, so if I recognize it someone here might.

I was also trying trace her back to the owner who may have retrained her because she has a considerable amount of english training, but she seems a bit sour over jumps. However, the last owner on record i could find any info on was Jack Magrell, who to my understanding deals with training racers and selling ones who are about to get off the track.

Im more worried about the 2 year layoff than the quirks. i can work around those.

she came back in 2002 and raced at the Mountaineer. She had 4 starts, made bout $500. in 2003 she had 4 starts, made $100. She did considerably better in 2000 BEFORE the 2 year lay off, which makes me think something happened?

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...77&registry=T#

Maybe put their names in the thread title? There are definitely people on here who know Mountaineer.

I have his contact info somewhere and can PM it to you, but I think you should be able to find a number for the training center through Google. I don't know him well, but he seems like a nice guy. He may remember your mare, although sometimes he would send horses to another track with other trainers, and I seem to recall he had some health issues at one point and wasn't training his string himself.

Is she sound now? If so, why are you worried about the 2 years off?

she is sound, but im just curious as to know her history. I found her neglected, underweight, with lice, bad feet, and bad teeth thrown out in a field. No info on her past what so ever. Some of the info i did find, like the 2 year break makes me curious. Why the break? why try to restart her? she had awesome bloodlines, her trainer did mention that when i contacted him. I wonder if anyone ever tried to breed her or anything? Like i said, purely curiosity to try and find more out.

Er, well, "awesome" is relative. With her race record indicating she's less than spectacular herself, there's nothing especially rare or spectacular that would make me jump up and down wanting to breed her. I mean, Mr. P, Sword Dancer, etc. are a dime a dozen.

Or maybe that two-year gap is they tried to breed her and she didn't take. She doesn't have anything where she'd be worth going to extreme and expensive measures if they tried for two seasons and got nothing, so maybe putting her back in training was a way to do something with her.

quarterhorse821 Guest

I know I'm waaaaay late on this. But I know the trainer. Was friend w/ her for years. Don't know the mare, but she probably would. Let me know if you would like her contact info. = )

Default Me too :)

I bought my OTTB off your mare's most recent trainer as well, still have her email/phone if you need it.

mtrhorselover Guest

Default your horse

Mr. McCutchen was the owner of this horse. Had a lot of horses, but certainly in the racing business. If they don't do well, they end up "turned over" to the demczyks to do what they can with her, especially after a two year lay off. Also, if you look at their training record, you will see the proof. Most horses, however, that come out of their barn have been well fed (almost to the point of gorging and a ton of supplements) and cared for, just not used to a lot of new things. And certainly not handled on a regular basis. Good Luck