The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter/Jumper arena size (show venue)

Help! I am getting involved at the planning stages for a new horse facility in my area. There is a planned indoor arena that is going to be 250' by 400'. There is an exisiting outdoor that is about 135' x 246'.

The barrel racing people have been the most active so far. They want to shorten the existing outdoor arena with some kind of chutes or pens or something. That issue is being discussed tonight at a planning committee meeting. I want to go and represent the interests of hunter/jumper people.

Can anyone give me figures for mininum and preferred for the outdoor arena? I know we have a local indoor that is 100' x 200', and it is notoriously small. I think the 138 x 246 dimensions are ok, but can I legitimately argue that anything smaller is too small? Our local show rulebook says: Recommended ring size: 125’ x 250’ or larger. Minimum size: 100’ x 200’.

I don't want to give them that minimum (100' x 200'). I think it is too small.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ToTheNines; Dec. 8, 2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: correct dimensions of existing arena

My arena is 250 x 140 which is PLENTY big enough to do most anything in, it is basically the same size as the indoor in Raleigh, NC. Yes, for grand prixs bigger would be nicer, but it's fine for shows etc

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

If your going to be making a point make sure you take nice big diagrams of courses to show WHY you need an outside ring to be at least 140 x 250, show the strides (@12ft) needed for a typical hunt course with a line set up for a 4 to a 2 and with a six stride approach and six stride on a landing and enough room, 1/2 stride on the rails, make it simple like a course design with feet inbetween lines but also from the rail sides and show at least 3 , a Hunter, Eq, and jumper course. Add to that info the need for room inbetween the lines so as to be able to run a flat class without having to move jumps.. ect.. I would also add what typical stall fees are for Hunter Jumper shows as an additional source of revenue as I'm pretty sure BArrel racers and such don't even use stalls. And what associations they could expect to take advantage of this community show grounds. Make sure to stress that a typical unrated Hunter Jumper Show with 100 stalls sold will net at least 10 times as much revenue as a typical say 4-H show.