The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default best winter work gloves?

Anyone have a favorite? Not for riding, but for barn chores.

One of the horse gear places? Duluth Trading? LLBean? Lowes/Home Depot? Tell me how you get your fingers thru winter.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I have waterproof ski gloves for water associated work. Or I pull a pair of latex (you know the kind for dishwashing) over my regular gloves.

For barn work, with the frigid temps, I have a pair of skinny winter gloves with wool gloves over top. When I need dexterity, I pull off the wool gloves. I keep everything in my coat pockets to keep them warm (keep the Durasole or Thrusbuster in my pocket too). I look like an Eskimo, but I really don't care. It works for me.

I have small hands and I haven't found anything else that works. Saw some neoprene gloves that look interesting, but a large just doesn't cut it.

Has anyone used cold water diving gloves? I wonder if they would work.

For water work or rainy days (outside picking paddocks) I have the neoprene gloves-they are fantastic! I bought them from LL Bean for about $20.

For regular barnwork, I love the SSG Ranchers! They don't slip when doing stalls, they aren't bulky and they're very warm.

I have a pair of Heritage gloves from Dover. While they are just thin enough and have the finger padding for riding they are plenty warm enough for barn chores. I believe they are also entirely waterproof. Heritage makes multiple kinds of gloves though. I paid about $35 for them a year or two ago and they've held up well and are all I need to keep my hands warm.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

SSG lined ranchers. Very warm

LOVE the feel of the SSG ranchers, but they just don't last long enough...I can maybe make it a month before holes start opening at the fingertips. However, they are in HEAVY use since I am in the barn full time. I also keep them on when I ride.
    They are so comfortable that I debate whether its worth it to just buy them every other month through the winter. I have yet to find any others that are warm and easy enough to work/ride in that I don't wear through quickly.

Default Thanks for the SSG Ranchers information ~

Thanks for this thread

Going to try the SSG Ranchers this winter ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

To add on -- can anyone recommend ones that last more than three months??? I have tried SSG, I have tried Mtn Horse -- both fell apart in the index fingers and thumbs before winter was even out. I wear them for all barn work and I am sick of gloves falling apart!!!!!

I use winter cycling gloves, very thin but amazingly warm-the wind doesn't go through them. Look for fabrics-Thermo Roubaix, Thermo Wind.

I wear a womans 7, buy these in xs
    Purchase on Ebay when I can find them.
    First pair lasted 2 seasons, moderate use.