The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What are you feeding your horses this winter?

I havent seen one of these threads for awhile just wondering what everyones feeding!
    What area are you from?
    What's the weather like right now?
    What breed of horse and what are you feeding?

I'll go first!!-
    I'm from Southern California.
    It's between 60-75 during the day a few days a little colder with some rainy days. Nights ranging between 35-50
    Horse 1- Arab - great weight and muscle and supershiny!!
    free choice orchard hay
    3 lbs alfalfa pellets
    3 lbs Triple crown senior
    Grand coat
    Grand hoof

Horse 2- Arab-great weight and muscle and supershiny!!!
    Free choice orchard hay
    3 lbs alfalfa pellets
    3 lbs Triple crown senior
    Grand coat
    Grand hoof

Horse 3- Appendix- great weight and muscle can be a bit of a hard keeper. Has the most beautiful shiny dappled coat I've ever seen!!
    Free choice orchard hay
    3 lbs alfalfa pellets
    6 lbs triple crown senior
    Grand coat
    Grand hoof

Horse 4- Tb - definitely a hard keeper drops weight very easily. I've had him about six months now and I think Ive finally figured out how to keep the weight on!!

Free choice orchard hay
    3 lbs alfalfa pellets
    9 lbs Triple crown senior- split into 3 feedings
    8 is rice bran oil
    Grand coat
    Grand hoof

Ok your turn!!

8 oz of rice bran oil!!!- sorry the edit is not working from my phone!!!!

Everything gets free choice alfalfa/orchard mix, with some timothy thrown in when they are in their stalls overnight.

Everything gets TC Senior, split into two feedings:
    Hard-keeper TB: 8 lbs./day
    Appendix and retired TB: 3 lbs./day
    Weanling: 5 lbs./day

Appendix gets Isox and Cosequin. Nothing else, I keep it simple. Not a big believer in feed-throughs, I'd rather spend my money on high-quality hay and grain. They are all in good weight, shiny and happy. I'm in northern Indiana. We have six inches of snow and it is 10 degrees this morning.

Free choice fescue/bermuda/orchard hay in hay nets.

Plain beet pulp
    BOSS
    Whole, raw peanuts (since one of mine can't handle alfalfa)
    EquiPride
    Wheat Germ Oil
    SmartFlex II

allllll mixed up with hot water
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Ok, my boys...
    Retired 18 yr old OTTB, regular keeper, maintaining weight well. Shiny, furry, bright-eyed and bushy tailed. He loves galloping around the field showing off just how fast he is.
    AM
    2.5 lb Strategy
    1.5 lb Blue Seal Hay Stretcher
    1.5 lb (dry when measured) beet pulp shreads
    Supplements-
    1/2 cup Omega Horseshine
    Farriers Formula (getting pulled from supplement list after it's gone)
    SmartC (getting pulled from supplement list after it's gone)
    SmartDigest
    MSM
    PM
    2.5 lb Strategy
    1.5 lb Blue Seal Hay Stretcher
    1.5 lb (dry when measured) beet pulp shreads

11 yr old QH, fairly easy keeper, good weight, shiny, happy, loves to gallop and buck in the field too.
    AM
    2 lb Strategy
    .5 lb Blue Seal Hay Stretcher
    1.5 lb beet pulp shreads
    Supplements-
    1/2 cup Omega Horseshine
    2 Cosequin ASU+HA treats
    Smartflex Senior Herb-Free Pellets
    Smartdigest
    PM
    2 lb Strategy
    .5 lb Blue Seal Hay Stretcher
    1.5 lb beet pulp shreads

They both get free choice grass hay, mostly orchard grass with a little timothy. The hay is good quality, and at night they also get a flake each of a really rich, green 2nd cutting orchard grass. I think they're getting about 25-30 lbs of hay a day.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

In Ireland. It's been a rough winter so far. My mare in show jump training gets beet pulp, barley, alfalfa chaff, sure limb vit and mins, stabilised flax meal, gastro shield, msm, and raspberry leaves oh and 1pd of rice bran. She has free choice grass haylage. She's in about 8 pds total per day of feed.

Mine at home are on much of the same except less barley and I use oats. Some get rice bran some not depending. They all get free choice grass hay. Most rations are between 6 - 8 pds per day split obviously. Mine are all TB's bar the weanling and jumping mare which are warmbloods with TB mothers. All in great weight and having no problems keeping it on.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Everybody:

Orchard grass/alfalfa and straight alfalfa hay.
    Equi-VM vitamin/mineral
    Source
    Soaked beet pulp
    Black oil sunflower

Ultium or Healthy Edge (Ultium isn't always available here) for the Arabs (Sweets about 1 lb. right now and the filly about 1/2 lb.)

Wellsolve L/S to the fatties

Two of the borders get a cup of oats each daily along with the Ultium or Healthy Edge. I don't like oats as a horse feed, but that's what their owner wants them to have.

MSM for the QH with arthritis
    SmartFlex Repair and Ulcergard for the injured filly.

Sweets isn't working right now so doesn't get the flax and rice bran. When she goes back to work in another month or so, she'll get a few ounces a day.

Lots of orchard hay for everyone.

Weaners are getting 2 pounds of Tribute weanling growth formula AM and PM.

Shetland gets a couple of ounces of Uckele grass base vit/min/AA pellets.

Gelding in rehab after tendon surgery gets about 1/4 pound of Tribute essential K AM and PM, plus Smart Tendon, an APF "cookie" and a little of the vitamin stuff. The supplements are chosen by his owner in case anyone thinks I've become a supplement junkie. I do give him TUMS when I ride him.

Big mare gets 3/4 pound of Essential K AM and PM and the vitamins.
    Click here before you buy.

Paxton: even body-clipped with highs in the 30s due to some freaky cold weather is SUCH an easy keeper

AM

1/4 lb Purina L/S
    1/2 lb Beat Pulp Shreads
    1 oz multi-vitamin
    1 flake of coastal

PM

1/4 lb Purina L/S
    1/2 lb Beat pulp shreads
    1 oz Apple-a-day
    3 flakes coastal

* everything is then soaked and put in the fridge for about 8 hours creating a yucky looking slopp

that plus 6-8 hours of turnout on decent grass is more than enough for her right now since she is only getting worked 3-5 days a week since I cannot stand the cold.

My Mare - 18 year old QH, going back into training for eventing after bad freezes are over, but for now just light work. No joint problems, no history of colic, pretty easy keeper!

AM -
    Bring her inside (my 'inside' is a 12'x36' shedrow, so not really a stall)
    6 lbs of straight alfalfa

PM -
    4 lbs of Strategy
    1 scoop MSM
    1 scoop electrolytes
    Warm water to mix
    After dinner she goes outside and has free choice breadless wheat roundbale.

7 month old appendix colt, out of the above mare and the reason I have to switch out who is in the pasture and who is in the barn (only one pasture )

AM -
    Out on free choice roundbale

PM -
    2 lbs of Ulitum Growth
    1 scoop of 12:12 mineral balance because he doesn't get the full amount of grain required for a full mineral balance.
    1 small scoop MSM
    1/2 scoop Electorlytes
    Warm water to mix
    2 lbs(or less) of straight alfalfa

They also get their Sand Clear when needed and have a salt block in the pasture.
    ~"Three Phases, Two hearts, One Passion!"~
    Peppy's Sweet Thing & Sweet Dreamin'

Fed once per day, both my horses each get:

18-25 lbs (depending on how cold it is) of a mix of 1st cut orchard, 2nd cut orchard and timothy, hung in hay bags to last 24hrs

and a hot steamy breakfast mash of:
    8oz of beet pulp shreds (dry measure), soaked & rinsed
    10oz of alfalfa cubes (dry measure) soaked
    1oz of Uckele's Equi-VM
    1oz iodized table salt
    2oz Cocosoya
    1oz WheatGerm oil
    1/2c OmegaHorseshine
    straight MSM (appx 20g)
    MagOx 56% (appx 7g)

and here is their feedxl profile!
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...s/74195b83.png

horses are a 30yr old retired mustang gelding, 1000# and an 11yr morgan gelding, 875#, in light work.
    Last edited by buck22; Dec. 8, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

Northern NV....weather varying...near zero nights last week, now in the upper 20's at night, days were 30's last week, will be mid 50's this week, windy the next couple days (up to 50mph) and possible snow at night.

22 horses out on desert "pasture". Each horse is getting 20-22 lbs straight alfalfa (15-16% tested) per day in two separate feedings. Two older horses that are harder to keep are also getting 4 pounds of complete senior feed twice a day. Salt/trace mineral blocks or locally made salt/trace mineral/vitamin licks in each field/pen. Fresh water all the time. No blankets. Approx 15 acres to move around on for mares on one side of property and for stallions/geldings on the other side. Land is rolling with good growth of sage/rabbitbrush and provides good windbreaks esp for winds from north and east.

6 year old appaloosa mare

5 year old mule

8 year old POA cross mare

all get fed alfalfa /grass hay 2 times a day . They eat together and it takes almost all day to eat it. When it is really cold at night ( below zero) they get some grass hay to munch on overnight. All are easy keepers, no grain or supplements just mineral and salt blocks free choice and heated water at all times.

we are in west central Minnesota and temps have been below zero at night with highs in the teens and below.

7 yo paint gelding - trail horse - good weight
    12 yo QH gelding - reiner / trail horse - a bit thin but gaining - he's new
    13 yo QH gelding - pasture sound - a bit plump

We're in Northwestern Washington state where it's rainy and typically in the high-30's to mid-50's during the day. The horses are out 12-14 hours depending on weather, stalled the remainder. They don't have a run-in when out, but do have turnouts/blankets for inclement weather and can use the barn as a wind break. None are in heavy work, the two sound ones are ridden 2 days per week on average this time of year.

Hay
    They get nice 2nd cut Orchard Grass hay 3 times a day They get a total of 10# each to share outside (split in 2 feedings) and then get an evening ration of 5 - 10# each in their stalls depending on their weight / needs.

"Grain"
    The 7 yo and 13 yo each get 1/4# of Purina Equine Senior to hide their vitamins/minerals. The 12 yo gets 2# Equine Senior with his vit/mins.

Supplements
    The 7 yo is the only one that gets other supplements - he gets SmartHoof for his crappy (almost grown out) feet and SmartDigest as his manure tends to soft. I may put the 12 yo on MSM later this month as his joints sound a bit "crackly" and he's just coming back into work after sitting for 2 years with his last owner.

My TB mare gets fed twice per day at boarding farm. She gets 1 and a 1/4 pound of a textured feed 11% protein,10% fiber,10% fat 2x per day with her supplements. She also gets a cup of BOSS in each feeding. The farm feeds a timothy hay presently, and she gets 2-3 flakes of hay (depending on size of flakes) am and pm. The days I go out (almost every day unless work or other obligations interupt) I give her 1-2 lbs of alfalfa forage and an extra 1-2 flakes of timothy/orchard hay in the winter.(I purchase some hay for traveling or extra supplementing). In the winter I give her some beet pulp well soaked with flax in it.