The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Irregular stall size

Hi everyone,

We have a 14'x18' outbuilding that we are considering converting into a shedrow type barn. Due to the size we would be making two 9'x14' stalls. Does anyone see that as a problem? We currently have a 12.2 pony and a 16.1 TB. They would only be in the stalls during poor weather. The rest of the time they will be out in the pasture.

thanks

I really don't see it as a problem. Maybe it would be a good idea for the TB - heck, the pony too - to be leg into and around the stall in the middle of the day when the light was good, to introduce them to their new stalls.

I'd put up casting strips for the TB just in case.

I've seen narrow/long stalls before and it's not been an issue.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

9' isn't very wide for a 16.2TB with respect to the potential of getting cast. Having said that, my friend's TB cast 2 weeks ago in a 12x24 and had to be put down.

Our main barn has 10 X 17 stalls and although it is not the size I would have chosen, we had to work with what was already built when we bought the farm 15 years ago. We currently have horses as tall as 17 hands in them and have had no problems at all. The only cast horse we have had in the last few years was in the broodmare barn with 14 X 16 stalls - go figure.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

With the wee pony, I'd be more inclined to make one 10x14 stall and one 8x14 stall.

We have a six stall broodmare "motel" that has 10x14 and 12x14 stalls, but what was supposed to be a feed room is 9x14. The mare that uses that stall is also 16.2 and has no problem with it. She is usually only in for feeding twice a day, but has been in over night when there was aweful weather. I see no problem. I would lean toward the 8' for the pony and 10' for the horse if I planned on staying at the location for a while.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Horses roll under their PADDOCK fence or get stuck in it too... Where there's a will, there's a way... (to get injured that is with horses!)
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    I wouldn't worry so much about it.

Horses roll under their PADDOCK fence or get stuck in it too... Where there's a will, there's a way... (to get injured that is with horses!)
    I used to have a horse that got cast no matter where you put him. 15.1hh horse got cast in his 12x12 more times then I can count. Took him up to the indoor that is 25m x 60m or so for a bit of turn out in nasty weather and he got cast in there too. Some horses just don't pay attention to walls.

my first horse lived in a straight stall for years before I bought him. He was on the hack string of a large public stable, and all the hacks lived in straight stalls. My horse - as others - would lay down to sleep and get up just fine, he'd brace against the wall and slide up and down, but not enough room to roll.

When I bought my horse he moved to the 'big barn' and a 14x14 stall, but when we'd go visiting he'd drag me back to his old straight stall, he seemed to really enjoy it.

meanwhile my morgan has gotten cast in his 16x24 shed
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

If you are worried about it, could you make one stall 10x14 and one 8x14? The pony would be fine in the smaller one.

Thanks for the replies. I might make a 8x14 & 10x14 stall. My daughter rides the pony and even if we get another pony in a few years I'm sure it will be a 14 or 15h pony. I guess 8x14 would still be fine for that size pony?

Remember to think about the actual inside dimensions once you add a wood liner to the walls (if this is a metal building) and the dividing wall. I like the 8x14 and 10x14 stall better than the two 9x14s.

Does it have to be two stalls? Horses and ponies seem happier with a building they can walk in and out of, and leaving it undivided will take care of the (very REAL) danger of getting cast. Also, when it's cold horses need to move around to keep warm, and that's tough in a small stall.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'd put up casting strips for the TB just in case.

Just wondering what a casting strips is exactly? Bosses are always looking for preventive things.

And speaking of horses who get cast, not sure how big our stalls are here but we have one filly who gets cast everyday almost like clockwork :S At least she doesn't panic , jut lies there upside down or on her side. You don't even hear her now, just have to check on her often. At least she goes back out to the paddock soon!

P.

I'd be curious too, to know if this is a metal building, or at least if ? you're sure the interior of the stalls has the full 18 ft. to be divided between 2?

...we did an outbuilding : converted to stalls/barn too. and I didn't remember that the lining wood/walls would take up room! My stalls ended up being about 9 .5 ft. wide vs. the 10 ft. I was expecting. Now, my current horse is an arab and no more than 15.1 on a good day ! ....But, still I just wasn't 'sure' what to do in re: stalls...
    As in: I know we will be getting a mini, or a goat, etc...at some point. and I wondered if I should make one larger than the other. However, that may be quite awhile down the road, so, what I decided on was:

Have builder put the dividing wall in with screws (half wall drop in boards/half bars on top) so that I could at some point:
    --either remove it entirely
    --or move it over to make one smaller stall (or tack /feed space) and one larger one
    --or keep it as is: 2 equal sized stalls

I had to carefully consider the door locations (centering them) so that: if it is moved over the remaining smaller stall will have a door and window.

I got the interlocking stall mats, and those were put in 'straight across' the full interior width and the dividing wall put in on top of them, just for the flexibility of moving the wall later on.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

There was a thread on here not too long ago about a member with a barn wall that was on tracks and she could push it over and I believe it pinned at the top and bottom. I loved that idea and if I were redoing an outbuilding, I would definitely consider doing that. You could work it where you could have different pinning points to adjust the size of your stalls with a simple push of a wall. Maybe someone here remembers where that thread is as it did go into pretty good detail about how to do it - I searched but couldn't locate it.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Default This is the best idea ~

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    With the wee pony, I'd be more inclined to make one 10x14 stall and one 8x14 stall.
    This is actually the BEST IDEA ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I was always taught that 12x12 was the "correct" size for a stall, but 3 yrs ago, we got a place that had a 12x23 shed attached to an old tiny barn with 2 8x8 stalls. The one 8x8 had a door on front and back, and lo and behold, that is where BOTH my boys liked to be-at the same time. They stand 14.1 and 14.3. The OTTB liked to go in there when the boys were not in there, and she did fine-though I don't KNOW if she ever laid down in there.

I think you would be fine.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown