The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Penicillin shot given too low?

My mare was on penicillin for 5 days for a bad case of rain rot. Thankfully, her 5 days are up, and she was a star for her shots. She is still very slightly inflamed in a few areas, but nothing major... except for one lump.

For one of the injections, I was unable to get to the barn to admister her penicillin myself, so a good friend and fellow horseperson did it for me. She said she had given penicillin before and was comfortable doing it, so I didn't give a whole lot of instructions beyond how much, how to split it, and where to inject my mare. My mistake, apparently; I should have been more thorough with precisely where in the neck was appropriate to inject.

My mare has a hard, golf ball sized lump on her neck from an injection that would have been about a week ago. The shot was given too low on the neck (some quick Googling tells me that it was given low on the brachiocephalicus - or somewhere near there), well outside of that "go to" triangle area.

Mare is acting totally normal: eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing as per usual. Her airways don't seem obstructed at all, but she is ouchy to the touch. I also haven't really noticed it go down much in the past week, as has all her other swellings.

So my question is... should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to help her get rid of this lump? And if I shouldn't be terribly concerned *yet*, at what point should alarm bells start going off?

TIA

I had a horse who got a huge lump from a injection by a vet,it didnt seem to hurt him but never went down.
    Same vet who caused it did come back out and lanced it open it was full of puss. I would have the vet out if it doesnt go down could be infected.

What was the injection? How long between the injection and having the lump cut open

The injection was a tranquilizer so my horse could be gelded,was the end of april. And the lump was not cut open till in july. Vet at that time didnt seem to think it was a problem he kept telling me it would go away. He finally had to come out for a colicking horse and thats when he cut open the lump on my horse. I was not charged for it either.

This happens now and again regardless of who does the shot.

I have used hot compress with a drawing poultice. Clay,peppermint, very warm water and slathered it over the site. Ichtahamol as well if you can stand the goo and smell. If it is an abscess it will blow and ooze a foul smelling pus. Keep it clean and open till it goes away. Needs to drain so repoultice as necessary.