The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you soak corn

How does one soak whole corn? Warm water? For how long?

I think he that was banned mentioned something about it, but I cannot find it.

I am thinking to use the soaking water for wetting the beet pulp.

TIA
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

Why would you want to?

Does horse have teeth problems? Maybe purchase of cracked or rolled corn would make it easier on him instead of getting whole corn kernels.

You are not talking of whole ear corn are you?

Whole corn, not on the cob.

I do not want cracked or rolled corn as the nutritional values begin to degrade once the corn has been tortured like that, & then left in bags until however long before I buy it.

Why I want to soak it is because I want the horses to utilize every last calorie of it possible.

No, no teeth issues.

I do not feed rolled oats either for the same reason. Nutritional loss. Whole oats, soaked.

I may be wrong, but I thought that horses cannot utilize whole corn kernals...as in, can't digest due to the hard seed covering. I feed cracked corn and whole, cleaned oats mixed with a little dry molasses and warm water. Ratio is about 1/4 cracked corn to 3/4 oats. No soaking. ( I've had to go with my own mixture due to horse allergies). I don't find any oats or corn in the manure, so all is getting digested, and horses are all looking good.

Years ago I had an acquaintance that trained a few race horses and he "cooked" their dinner.

In the a.m. he would pour a bag of whole corn into a metal trash can, add water and then insert one of those bucket heaters similar to this http://www.alliedprecision.com/bucketheater.html

Ar dinner time, he'd drain off most of the water, dump the contents of the can into a big wheelbarrow and walk down the barn aisle giving all the horses a good sized scoop of this corn. It would be soft in texture and plumped up. The horses ate it like they liked it and they all looked good.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

So you want to soften up the whole kernels for easier chewing?

Haven't really heard of anyone doing that. Perhaps experimenting would give you a better idea of timing it, and quantity of corn in the water. Hot water could speed up the process.

I have to wonder if you will be losing any nutritional value with the soaking time needed to soften whole grains?

Have you thought of purchasing a grinding device, to grind your daily corn and oats allotment? Some experimentation could be in order. Not sure a food processor would be up to that, though a coffee grinder might work. I know a number of flax users grind daily, with the coffee grinders and then cook the flax.

A search for corn grinders turned up this poultry feed article with photos:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/is...ey_Ussery.html

And these were interesting sites, hand or motorized, for grinding grains:

http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/grinders.php

http://www.nextag.com/corn-grinder/compare-html

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/

This was interesting, didn't know there was so much to know about grinding things! Just had never thought of soaking grains before feeding, like we feed the wet beet pulp.

Something to think on, is that horse teeth are designed to grind food. Having very soft grains all the time, might not give enough wear on the teeth faces to keep them smoothed out. You might need dental checks more often, until you see how soft grains are working for your horse if you go with the soaked grains instead of home grinding.

Always something to learn on COTH!!

We have several elderly horses and crack our own grain
    for them daily. I had a hand cranked mill initially when I only needed to feed one horse. I now am feeding several and am using a used Harvestore roller mill which will do a couple bushels in around 10 minutes (would go faster if we had a bigger motor on it). You can also buy a powered mill from suppliers for beer making meant to prepare barley which will work on corn. I would not want to try to feed soaked corn in our climate where temperatures are below freezing much of the time between November and March.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Robin, what do you feel you get out of corn? I am feeding an oldie too.

Fed a 12 hour soak today. Will try to look through horse poo tomorrow to see what comes out. But we may get rain & snow. Hey, I can wear those garage sale rubber cowboy boots!

Going for a 24 hour soak now.

Do not want to invest in grinder, as I am not sure I will even stay with using some corn over the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Why would you want to?
    Too make Moonshine of course.

So, Gypsy Vanners fart fairies, & old horses fart Moonshine? Wow, think of the economic growth industry this will create!

Remember corn molds very readily and dangerously.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    Too make Moonshine of course.
    that's pretty much all corn is good for. I hope the OP is feeding cows and not horses Horses have zero need for all that sugar.... that is unless you are wanting to study the onset of founder and EPSM
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    So, Gypsy Vanners fart fairies, & old horses fart Moonshine? Wow, think of the economic growth industry this will create!

So, do old Gypsy Vanners fart fairy moonshine?

PetStore, we have been feeding corn for many years and
    have not had problems with founder. We feed corn as the primary grain for the horses. Our philosophy is forage (hay or pasture) is the fundamental food of the horses and grain is given to supplement the calorie consumption. We feed cracked corn to our horses who have problems eating their corn still in whole kernal form. The 36 year old who had lived here since 1988 that we lost last month simply had no functional teeth left and needed his meals "pre-chewed".
    A few of the 20 somethings need to be able to consume a significant amount of feed promptly as they will stop eating if all their buddies are done and leaving the barn when they still have more to eat.

OP have you considered soaking corn in a lye bath to produce your own version of hominy? That might work better than simply soaking shell corn in water. It would help balance the calcium/phosphorus better (unless, like us, you are feeding alfalfa for forage). I just read on wikipedia that hominy is used for animal feed as well as for human consumption; perhaps you should explore that.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
    that's pretty much all corn is good for. I hope the OP is feeding cows and not horses Horses have zero need for all that sugar.... that is unless you are wanting to study the onset of founder and EPSM
    Could you be anymore melodramatic??? Good grief. I don't feed corn now but I fed corn for years and never had the first problem. Maybe with EPSM it's a no-go but acting like feeding corn is going to founder every horse is just ridiculous.

My barn manager has fed her horses corn and purina essentials for 30 years. They seem perfectly alive to me and only had one problem with mold in those 30 years.

I think you'd have to soak it for AWHILE, even when I add it to hay cubes it stays crunchy.

I sincerely appreciate the hominy suggestion. This is one of the nice things about CoTH, all the great knowledge & ideas out there.

I did not see any corn in poop in the 12 or 24 hour soaks. And it did not look like the birds beat me to looking though the poop piles. Will probably stay with the 24 hour soak.