The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Congrats to my good friend Katie Ruppel ~ Photos added January 26th

Compass Rose, "Chloe", received 2 awards:
    Beginner Novice Young Horse - Champion
    Novice Young Horse - Reserve Champion

Houdini, "Hewie", received 2 awards:
    Preliminary Young Horse - Champion
    Intermediate Young Horse - Champion

And Sir Donovan, "Donald", was the Advanced Open - Champion

Congratulations girl!

Full Story:
    http://www.usea2.net/competitions/po...icipant-photos
    Last edited by Tazzie; Jan. 26, 2011 at 11:36 AM.

Katie and Jeter, go Kalamazoo?
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Please make plans to attend the Area 2 annual meeting Jan. 22!!!! So that you can be properly honored!
    He keeps throwing me back. http://horsejunkiesunited.com/?p=63881

Congrats! You've DONE it!

Do you still have the mare you had in Tryon??

Thanks for posting this for us non-Area II people, Tazzie. I am so pleased that Katie's hard work, talent and program are starting to produce good results for her!

Hi thanks guys! Oh my gosh. I will try to make the meeting if I can sneak away from Florida, I will have to defer to Buck "The Boss" as he takes our winter prep very seriously, espeically before something as special as Kentucky.

Annika I ended up selling the older Preliminary mare and my young one, the nice one, I ended up having to put down early this year due to a tumor in her stifle It was very, very sad but there was not much we could do. I did manage to squeeze a baby out of her, by a nice Oldenburg stallion, he is now 16 months and perfect in every way! So nice to still have a piece of such a nice mare. I own her mother now too so we're keeping some nice TB mare lines going!

Well I hope Buck will be there as he is invited to do the WEG panel we will be holding! So you all can be there! Yeah!

Congrats Katie, well done!

I have a question about the Area II results. It looks like part of the qualification for these awards is having volunteer hours, which is why I am assuming that many of the area II riders on the overall USEA leaderboard are not included in the Area II results. How many volunteer hours do you need to qualify? (I couldn't find it on the website) The reason I asked is that one set of results caught my eye. For the Training Junior rider, the riders who are ranked 2/3/4 on the USEA leaderboard are all from Area II, yet the 4th place rider is listed as first place in the Area II results. So kudos for her for getting all the qualifications, but I wonder if it's widely known that you need to get in x number of volunteer hours to be considered.

I believe not only do you have to volunteer but you also have to do some amount of paper work to get your points tabulated. It isn't automatically calculated.

No offense to Katie, because she DID do the volunteer work for this to count (which I know is a BIG thing to most people), but there are a lot of horses and riders out there who could have very easily been on this leader board if they'd done the paper work (because I know plenty volunteer, as well). I mean, most of the US WEG team is from Area 2, as was a large selection of the Canadian team. And I know quite a few LL horses and riders who do lots of volunteering, get ribbons left and right, who could have easily been on this list.

You have fill out a registration application and pay $20 per division for each horse (if you have more than one) and then you have to put in at least 8 volunteer hours to be considered for year end awards. When you volunteer, you have to bring a print out from the Area 2 website and have it signed by an official at the H. T. (Tazzie very kindly signed mine at MDHT ). Points are pulled off of the USEA website and calculated by the Points chairperson, so you don't have to send them in.

Amanda, to me, the amazing part is it's very easy to sign up and very easy to get those 8 hours over a whole season. And such a good honor for a horse that deserves an award for being a good guy all year long.
    The luncheon this year I think will be wonderful for the award winners! (I'm helping volunteer to coordinate it).

Amanda. I signed my students up and some of my horses just for fun. It was a nice treat for them (and me) to be rewarded for being successful on their horses and helping out at our horse trials, our sport runs on volunteers and I want to foster that in my program. I wish more people would do this.

Maybe you can mention this to all your friends who could have been on the list?

I'm glad they make the requirement of volunteer hours and a teensy bit of paperwork. I already compete with Phil, Buck and Boyd nearly every weekend. They have so many bigger things to worry about, our Area 2 awards probably aren't even a blip on their radar and that's OK. It's nice to be able to have a successful year at the Advanced level, be able to give back to my sport, and get a fancy ribbon for it. And gosh darn it, my Orange Moose deserves it! Likewise for my students. My girls on Novice greenbeans don't have to worry about beating that fancy thing that was just imported for a Pro. It's nice and I like it.

Well said Katie. All of your students (and you!) stepped up and helped volunteer at MDHT this year, often filling in spots for only an hour or two, along with the all days. And often within the same weekend, and even the same day competing!

I love signing those Area II papers for volunteer hours, they are always well earned!

OK. I'm probably going to be very unpopular after this, but here goes.

I think this award is a little bit of false advertising. It isn't a riding award, as it comes across, or at least, not much of one. It isn't about being the best pair in Area 2, but about being the best of who signed up and did the time to do the volunteering (which is a BIG THING, no doubt about it). It's a nice marketing tool for those who win, but saying you win a year end award when there's only three horses in the level is just a little wonky in my book. It's not much of a competition.

If we want to promote the volunteerism aspect of it, why don't we have a volunteer award, which, from what Tazzie says, is the bigger deal. There is no volunteer award (as far as I can tell) for Area 2. I think THAT would be a big deal and very well earned for those who give back so much. We can have multiple awards (best jr volunteer, etc).

And I think if we want to have year end POINT awards, it should be modeled after the USEA overall awards (since we have both a "Championship" and a points program). Everyone earns the points in their particular level (jr, AA, horse, whatever), take only the points from Area 2 (so those who do a lot of traveling don't get an unfair advantage over those who don't), and whoever has the most points, wins. That's a real year end award. Everyone has a shot.

And, I just want to add, Katie, I have utmost respect for you...you've certainly been around Fair Hill more times than I have and you've worked your ass off to get better and better at this sport. You've had a great year with all your horses, and you volunteer a hell of a lot more than I do. So, I just don't want everyone to think that I'm picking on you. I just think this program could use some retooling to make it count a little bit more.

Continuing with the redirection (I didn't compete this year, so irrelevant to this year). With the time I spend riding, competing and volunteering, I don't have enough time to deal with the paperwork and thus will never receive an Area II award (on rough count, I spent about 70 hours volunteering in Area II this year, not counting time not at actual events plus volunteering at AEC and WEG). If the awards are important to you, great go for it, but if we are recognizing excellence in riding, I agree that it should be tallied up automatically like the leaderboard is.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Amanda, I appreciate that we all have opinions, and all deserve to have one.

I have alot that I would love to say - but have learned that COTH is not always the best way to say things.

The only thing that I want to say, in response to your last post, is that regardless of the "system", there is nothing "false" about the training that went into these horses, and how far they have come along under Katie's guidance.

I am very proud of Katie, along with many other eventers that I have met through COTH or volunteering, and that is why I started this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzie View Post
    Amanda, I appreciate that we all have opinions, and all deserve to have one.

I have alot that I would love to say - but have learned that COTH is not always the best way to say things.

The only thing that I want to say, in response to your last post, is that regardless of the "system", there is nothing "false" about the training that went into these horses, and how far they have come along under Katie's guidance.

I am very proud of Katie, along with many other eventers that I have met through COTH or volunteering, and that is why I started this thread.
    I didn't say there was anything false about the training of Katie's horses and in fact went on to say that Katie and her horses have had a very good year. Certainly a better year than me. I do see why you would think I think that way, but my point was that there are plenty of people out there who would use something like this as a marketing tool, and that WOULD be misleading- these aren't the very best horses in the area...they are decent horses with decent records with owners/riders who had the forethought to sign up for this program and could do the volunteer hours. Hell! If I'd cared enough and did the paperwork and volunteering, Vernon would probably be on this list, too, and God knows he's far from the best this area has to offer!

So, really, I don't discount Katie's horses or riding AT ALL. She works hard and gets the results because of it. I don't think she needs this particular award to show the work she's done. But I also think this is a silly "award" and for it to truly mean something and truly be worthy of real praise it needs to be retooled.

I have some ideas and I wouldn't mind sharing them with the right person. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

And, seriously, scubed! 70 hours!?!?!?! Wow! THAT deserves an award.

PS- Tazzie, I'm sorry I'm kinda stealing the joy out of your post. I have to admit (and have in a couple of other posts) that I am seriously grumpy about this sport right now because of some issues I'm having...unfortunately, it does come out when I do decide to open my big, fat opinionated mouth. However, I do think your post brought up a very interesting topic for debate.

I think all the AR II award winners did an awesome job, Katie - Catalina, etc. I also love the fact that in order to win; one has to volunteer a minimum number of hours. I think that encourages competitors to give back to the sport. I know scubed volunteered way more than 70 hours - she probably did 70 hours 1 weekend alone at Plantation!!!! I hope my next paragraph doesn't detract from the efforts of those that won the awards.

I do agree with others that it would be nice to not have to do the paperwork to register in advance for the award. I do think a certain level of "paperwork" may be required to log and qualify for the volunteer hours, but the advanced registration does seem to diminish the award somewhat. I think the volunteering requirement and subsequent submission of "paperwork" may serve to weed out the pros that wouldn't be interested anyway.

BTW, maybe I should have waited until after the weekend to post this. It may be awfully cold when Catalina makes me sleep in the barn w/ donkey!!!

Small hijack..... Does Area II publish anywhere the winners of the various BN to A Championships that are held at different events?