The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Update on CANTER cutie "Fleet Nimble Feet"

I know there were a lot of people that liked this mare last winter. I was the lucky one to bring her home!

Let me just say, this mare has a home for life. She has far exceeded my expectations.

We got off to a bit of a rocky start as she ended up with 4 hoof abscesses over the first few months, rendering it so that I couldn't even ride her until July. She also thought it was way cool to jump out of the paddock, but stopped that business after a month or so.

Once I got her sound, I hopped on for the first time after a few weeks of long lining. It was heaven. I remember poking around the arena and my sister standing in the middle saying "This horse is never leaving us, right?" Right-o sis!
    She is the most level headed, sensible, sweet mare I have known. She is 110% reliable, dependable, and SAFE.
    She moves like a dream and jumps even nicer. Her canter is one of those that gives you goosebumps.

After about a month under saddle, we took her cross country schooling with my seasoned horse. What a pro she was. It was her first time off the farm with us, and as we drove there, my sister was anxious, remembering all the other "first times" for our OTTB. The screaming, dancing, lunging, panic, disaster.

We arrived to the grounds, unloaded her, and she put her head down to graze. She did not care one bit. Tied her to trailer, tacked her up, got on and off we went. Not a spook, not a worry in her. She has the nicest gallop I have ever ridden.
    She jumped all the little BN/elementary stuff sensibly, did the water and a small ditch, and stood quietly while other horses galloped and jumped. Resting a leg. We even swapped horses and my sister rode her for the first time out in a wide open XC field.

After that we did a hunter pace where again, she was absolutely exceptional. No one could believe she was 4 years old and off the track. She did everything asked of her and more. She stood quietly at the start while other teams galloped off. She let teams pass. She loped along when asked and stepped it up when asked. Navigated tough terrain, bridges, tight trails, roads, everything.

Since the pace, my life got very very busy (I am in vet school) and I only have time to hack her once a week, sometimes once every other. I never have to lunge her, just pull her from the field, get on and go. If anything, she's a bit on the lazy side.
    Our goal for next year is to get her going BN/N and do some jumpers. She's going to be a star.

Last week, I had to euthanize my old mare, my heart horse. As I walked back to the barn, I looked at Fleet Nimble Feet (barn name Rhea, pronounced Ray-a) and knew she was ready to fill those hooves. We're in for a lifetime of adventure. What a horse.

Thank you to everyone who pointed her out. And thank you to her WONDERFUL breeder. We have stayed in contact and if I am ever looking for another horse, I will be getting another from her.
    If riding were all blue ribbons and bright lights, I would have quit long ago.
    ~George Morris
    Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2014

What a great story MCS. I got goosebumps reading it!!

I remember that mare and hoped someone wonderful would pick her up.

Thanks! She is certainly special!

I am going to try to post some photos. Here she is on XC schooling day. Thats me and her on the right. On the left is my sis and my 18 yr old event horse. Who HATES standing still and is throwing a FIT.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...0_932776_n.jpg

Thinking about the water jump. Again note how annoyed older horse looks while waiting for her. About .5 seconds after this photo, Rhea sighed and walked in.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5161901_n.jpg

Oh, and I ride her in a loose ring nathe bit. She's a doll.
    ~George Morris

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

awww I remember this story...so nice to hear about such a fantastic ending!! Makes me dream of OTTBs...
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

What a great story!

so glad to hear about this! i loved her name too!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

great update! She was a very pretty girl as I remember - do we get any pictures with the update?

oops must have been slow to post! haha shes looking great!!

Congratulations, you deserve it for taking the chance!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Wow, thanks for the update and I am so glad you stay in contact with her trainer. It really helps the CANTER program when trainers have such good experiences finding horses new homes. She was a lovely mare and her connections were great people. So glad you are enjoying her!

She's a lucky girl too! She got you. Thanks for the update.

I always wonder about some of the threads here and what happened - how things turned out? what advice worked? etc.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I love to hear updates like this, thanks so much for sharing. She's lovely!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I'm so happy for you both. Best of luck and keep up the updates!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

That is so wonderful!
    Last edited by Merle; Jul. 13, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

What a great story! I got goosebumps reading it, too! There is NOTHING like an ex racehorse! Great minds, great athletes, awesome attitudes! YAY!

Yay for YOU taking the chance on a CANTER horse!

Default Nice Mare & Granby WOW

MCF,

I sure liked your mare on Canter too and am so glad she is with you. Where are you XC schooling in the pix?

Are you really in Granby, Mass? That's where I lived in the 70's and learned to ride at MHC. I also got married in the white steepled church on Rte 202 by the turnoff for North St where I lived. I loved it there but had to move to Detroit to be with Hubbie.

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

Absolutely love to hear success stories like this! How wonderful that you two found each other.

Black Points- That is at Scarlet Hill Farm in Groton, MA. Gorgeous facility!

Yes, I grew up in Granby and the horses are there at my Mom's farm still. I technically live 40 minutes away now for school, but Granby is home and I went to high school there etc.

I went to MHC for my undergraduate and rode there as a child as well!
    Small world!
    ~George Morris

Much applause and congrats!

Wonderful, you deserve another lovely lady after Julia.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte