The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WEF Question - How to rent golf cart inexpensively?

Does anyone know of a company that will deliver a golf cart in Wellington e.g. to a street address (not to the show, Devers has a monopoly and charges a ridiculous prices)? Am hoping to find one reasonably priced, the Devers ones are so expensive you could buy one cheaper!

honestly think they do have the monopoly, last email sent out was about 1000 for the entire circuit, if your there the entire time, not really a bad deal, but yeah, they kill you for a few days or just a week here or there

I'm not sure of Devers going rate but here is a company that would deliver
    http://www.floridagolfcarts.org/rentals.php

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Devers rate is $200 per week, for 6 or more weeks, so for 6 weeks would be $1200. Cartland have a monthly rate of $400 per month (for a 4-person cart), much better, but they are in Lakeland, which is apparently 180 miles away, so don't deliver to Wellington (I emailed them). Any other ideas? We are planning on stabling at Littlewood, so was thinking bicycle only (my usual mode of transport) would be a bit more tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by dogbluehorse View Post
    We are planning on stabling at Littlewood, so was thinking bicycle only (my usual mode of transport) would be a bit more tricky.
    Let's just say you wouldn't need to go to the gym.

You might want to post your question on the board at www.Wellington-WEF.com to get suggestions from the year-round residents.

bicycles are hard
    there because of the sand.

https://www.deverinc.com/form_view.php?form_id=1

show before 12/15, 1099 for a 2 passanger for circuit or 1499 for a 4 passenger, expensive yes, but easy since they are on site

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Let's just say you wouldn't need to go to the gym.

You might want to post your question on the board at www.Wellington-WEF.com to get suggestions from the year-round residents.
    Thanks, I am clueless enough not to realize there is a WEF thread! I found a few more companies on-line to call tomorrow, will give that a go.

Get on Craig's list they are about 500 to buy one! I just did.

Quote Originally Posted by Flypony View Post
    Get on Craig's list they are about 500 to buy one! I just did.
    I did look, you must have taken the last bargain! What are you going to do it with when you leave? Will keep on looking I am sure more will pop up.

I did look, you must have taken the last bargain! What are you going to do it with when you leave? Will keep on looking I am sure more will pop up.
    If you can't take it home, just put it back upon Craigslist and sell it.

Heck, if you only pay $500 to buy, you could give it to someone and still be ahead of the game.

Answering my own question, just spoke to Advantage Golf Cars, they seem very reasonable. Price is $350 per month (compared to $200 per week, for long term rental from Devers), plus $90 pick-up/delivery. They can't deliver to the show grounds, since Devers has a monopoly, which to me seems unconstitutional, but what can you. THeir phone number is ******561-253-6800.
    FlyPony still got a better deal but I'm not seeing $500 ones on Craigs List right now!

Answering my own question, just spoke to Advantage Golf Cars, they seem very reasonable. Price is $350 per month (compared to $200 per week, for long term rental from Devers), plus $90 pick-up/delivery. They can't deliver to the show grounds, since Devers has a monopoly, which to me seems unconstitutional, but what can you. THeir phone number is ******561-253-6800.
    FlyPony still got a better deal but I'm not seeing $500 ones on Craigs List right now!
    Wonder if you can have them dropoff off grounds and just drive it in?

But again I question, are you there for the entire circuit??? If so, devers is cheaper?

That's not a monopoly, that is a private showgrounds and you are welcome to bring your own or rent one elsewhere and haul it in yourself. Not like they are turning away 10 golf cart rental businesses eagerly trying to get in.

And try to get a rent car in South Florida for 29 bucks a day around Presidents Day thru the end of the month.

Honestly, investigate leasing or buying-they are available short term lease and/or used and there are about a million golf courses around there. Heck, had a friend who leased one for 8 weeks thru the Polo Club CC and we drove it over down South Shore...boy that took awhile.

They fit well on the back of some big pick ups or horse trailers and real easy on a flatbed trailer and there are alot who can go get it and haul it over for you for a few bucks.

But there are alternatives if you do not want to use Devers.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    That's not a monopoly, that is a private showgrounds and you are welcome to bring your own or rent one elsewhere and haul it in yourself. Not like they are turning away 10 golf cart rental businesses eagerly trying to get in.

And try to get a rent car in South Florida for 29 bucks a day around Presidents Day thru the end of the month.

Honestly, investigate leasing or buying-they are available short term lease and/or used and there are about a million golf courses around there. Heck, had a friend who leased one for 8 weeks thru the Polo Club CC and we drove it over down South Shore...boy that took awhile.

They fit well on the back of some big pick ups or horse trailers and real easy on a flatbed trailer and there are alot who can go get it and haul it over for you for a few bucks.

But there are alternatives if you do not want to use Devers.
    ha, I was thinking of peddling my bike from the polo club to the show when I came down to watch daughter!! Was it really that far, or just cause golf carts can be soooo slow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter/JumperMom View Post
    ha, I was thinking of peddling my bike from the polo club to the show when I came down to watch daughter!! Was it really that far, or just cause golf carts can be soooo slow!!!
    The polo club is pretty big.

If you're staying near the gate closest to the show, it would probably be less than 10 minutes on a bike.

If you start from the very far corner almost by the mall, it could take a while.