The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IMPORTING - all the facts

I am living in England right now and interested in bringing some ponies back with me. Can anyone with experience tell me all about the process.
    1. How much is quarantine per horse in NY?
    2. How many ponies can you fit in a crate?
    3. How old do the ponies need to be to import, is there a higher cost for ponies over a certain age?
    4. Can you import colts with fillies if they are under a certain age?
    5. Can you pick your ponies up yourself or do you have to hire someone to pick them up and deliver them to you?
    Anything else you can think of I would be interested in knowing ahead of time would be GREAT!
    Many thanks
    C. Brooke Cowan
    Over Rabbit Farm

Lapinwood Ponies

I may not be able to answer all your questions and some of my answers will be out of date as the last time I imported a horse was a few years ago so I'll tell you what my experience of it was.

I paid door to door delivery so can't give you a break down in costs for just quarantine. I paid 6,600 GBP which at the time worked out to being around $13,000. That included all flights, quarantine and all land shipping to my farm.
    Most shipping containers have 3 horse stalls in them.
    3. How old do the ponies need to be to import, is there a higher cost for ponies over a certain age?
    I can't answer that as I don't know what latest guidelines are.
    I would imagine so. The stalls are individual so I would not think they just reserve them for shipments of single sexes.
    5. Can you pick your ponies up yourself or do you have to hire someone to pick them up and deliver them to you?
    You can collect them from the quarantine station if you prefer.

All about importing equines to the USA; http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...arantine.shtml
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I just imported a yearling filly from the UK last year so here's what I went through/know.

I used Peden and they use Mersant domestically to coordinate quarantine and other things once the horse is in the US. The horses flew from Stansted into I believe Newark. Once in the US, Mersant coordinated pick up at the airport to quarantine in upstate NY.

I didn't see it on your list, but you have to figure in pre-travel vet work. Blood tests (some sent to the US for testing) and travel documentation that must be prepared by a vet. But any company you use should be very good at telling you what you will need before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by OverRabbitFarm View Post
    Quarantine ran at about $1000. I was originally quoted $1200, but it varies and in this instance I was refunded money after all the costs were calculated.

They go by pallets. My filly traveled 3 horses to a pallet, but there were 3 other pallets on the plane. How many horses depends on how much room is on the plane. Peden used a FedEx carrier, so I don't know how many horses they *could* have taken.

I think they can come over once they're weaned. I have a friend who brought over a 6 month old filly from Holland. I personally waited until my girl was a yearling because by that time she would have had some immunizations. There is also a higher quarantine cost once the horse's age is so many days... I think it equates to approximately 2 years. So if you bring over a mare or stallion (breeding stock) then you will have to have higher quarantine costs.

You'd have to check with the importer. It varies depending on their policies and what combination of horses (mares/geldings/stallions) are projected to be on the flight. They may mix things up depending on what's scheduled wants to go. If you want to bring intact colts, you should plan on being flexible if they're older than a year. But generally I wouldn't think of it as a problem.

5. Can you pick your ponies up yourself or do you have to hire someone to pick them up and deliver them to you
    Yes, if you wish. I live quite far away, so I had Equine Express pick my girl up and they were quite reasonably priced. In fact, when I was speaking with my rep at Mersant and he asked if I needed ground transportation... I said if you can beat $X (my quote from EE) and he said he couldn't come close it it.

PM me if you wish. I found that will the companies I used, the process was quite simple.
    You know you're a horse person when your mother, who has no grandchildren, gets cards addressed to Grandma, signed by the horses, cats, and dogs.

I am living in England right now and interested in bringing some ponies back with me. Can anyone with experience tell me all about the process.
    I can't comment on the New York specifics since I've brought ponies into Canada and into Los Angeles, but not into New York. Into LAX, the quarantine (3 day) was $1600-1800 last time I was quoted.
    It depends on the age and the agent you are using. You can fit more babies in a crate than grown animals, but how many depends on age, size, gender, etc.

Weanlings and up. Under 24 months is a lot cheaper than over. Over 24 months has to go through CEM quarantine, which is on top of the 3 day they would do in New York. Costs on that last time I got a quote (for west coast CEM quarantine) was $1800 for mares and $5000 for stallions.

Colts and filles will only travel in the same slots if they are weanlings.

Anything else you can think of I would be interested in knowing ahead of time would be GREAT!
    Many thanks
    In Los Angeles you can pick them up yourself. I would think that New York would be the same. It's lots of fun and very exciting!

I have been seriously importing ponies (every year) since 2001. My experience has been that the younger ponies travel better -- ie healthy, well fed weanings to yearlings. The mares that undergo the CEM testing have been pretty stressed by the time they got home. It also adds several more weeks to their journey before you can get them home.

In my perfect world, I'd bring them home in January or February of their yearling year. It doesn't usually work out that way, however.

Prices seem to often be cheaper in the fall (September/October -- ie after Fayre Oaks) when you can get shared transport with others who are bringing in ponies, though with the economy not being as good here, there are less people importing. I've sometimes had to buy an extra to fill space.

I've used Owen Jones of the Nebo Stud quite a bit the past few years, and he handles absolutely everything from pickup at the farm, all the paperwork and bloodwork, taking them to the airport, arranging quarantine, etc. He's been significantly less than any of the "big boys" that I've contacted over the years.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony