The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PVB Opening Hunt

http://picasaweb.google.com/duddlesw...MO60s3NuOjerwE

Li'l riv's "pirates of the caribbean" camera takes some oddly atmospheric photos.

Today's group consisted of:

Huntsman—ZoE S
    Whips—Laura P, Tice S, Susie S
    Fieldmaster—was there one?
    Field—Jane B, John S, Denise S, Tracy W, Joe W, Peggy W, Gigi S, Ann E, Ken T, Kim S, Vicki S, Jennie C
    Car followers—yours truly, 2 friends of Peggy's

Ken and Gigi were on their first hunts. I hope they had lots of fun and will be back again!

I have no idea how many couple of hounds. Maybe Risk-Averse Rider knows. Or if PVBZoE checks in, she can tell us.

I think it was about 2.5 hours of hunting. I drove all around (and even through at one point) the fixture and was able to see the goings-on a few times.

I was able to watch the final run, and while watching the road, saw one jack rabbit cross. It wasn't in the right place based on where ZoE was, so I kept watching the road. Sure enough, about a minute later, the hunted jack crossed the road about 100m north of the 1st one.

I was sad not to be riding, but happy to be out anyhow!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Had a great time. Sly actually woke up for a change, giving Joe a run for his money! The beagles hunted their little hearts out, despite terrible hunting conditions. Zoe and whips did a great job, as always. Arnold had a few airs above the ground but that's his norm, he just doesn't like the slower, stop and go nature of beagle hunting.

Thanks for the photos! Is this what outside of Phoenix looks like? Not the desert I had imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by wanabe View Post
    Thanks for the photos! Is this what outside of Phoenix looks like? Not the desert I had imagined.
    That's what it looks like to the northeast of the city. Other parts of the desert are somewhat different (fewer rocks/mountains/washes). But yes, in general, that's what the Sonoran desert looks like: scrub, trees, and cactus. Not like the Sahara!
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~