The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default WEF - Mid-life Crisis No. 2!

Hi,
    I just spent the entire day searching for "cheap" (ha!) flights from Boston to Wellington, for every weekend from Jan 28th to March 3rd. I went to WEF once before in 2004 with my "fabulous" (now retired) horse, who had just started doing A/O jumpers at the time, now have a new up and coming one, and dreading another Boston winter, decided to bite the bullet and spend huge gobs of money sending him to WEF. He is leaving Jan 20th, I am planning to go down for every weekend plus the school vacation break. Am quite excited about it. Planning to do low adult jumpers, nothing too adventurous. Not posting for any reason other than I am getting excited about this Grand Adventure!!

Have fun!

I don't think you need much of an excuse to get out of Boston in the winter!

Ugh super jealous, wish I was getting out of Boston this winter, it was fridgid today! And the cold has yet to really get started...bring some sunshine home with you please?
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

A horse show in Florida is the perfect excuse to get out of Boston.

When you get back please send 50% of the sunshine to NJ. I can't take anything below 40 oF !!!!

we are flying down on Direct Air out of Worcester. they have 1/2 price flights at the moment and parking at Worcester is cheap.

see you in the jumper ring

feel free to PM me......

Ray, how is that airport at Worcester?

I almost used it last summer to get from one show to the next, but I ended up going out of Logan instead.

Did not enjoy Logan much.

well, the Worcester airport is only somewhat recently re-opened for passenger air travel, so I havent used it in many years. We'll see in January!

Pluses: very small airport, so easy in/out, cheap parking.
    Minuses: not close to the highway, and fog/weather is more of an issue than Boston.

Thanks. I do like the small airports for the in/out factor, but the weather channel definitely is more of a factor for them.

Safe travels!

If you prefer a major airline and traditional sized aircraft-Southwest flies out of Providence RI, Manchester NH and Bradley...if any of those work for you. Connect thru Baltimore to whatever is closest to Palm Beach (do not think they go there at the moment...maybe Lauderdale?)

It's an option.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Ya... I almost always opt to fly out of Manchester, NH, so easy
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    we are flying down on Direct Air out of Worcester. they have 1/2 price flights at the moment and parking at Worcester is cheap.

see you in the jumper ring

feel free to PM me......
    Bummer, didn't know about Direct Air, I live in Harvard, which is pretty close to Worcester. Will PM you!

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    A horse show in Florida is the perfect excuse to get out of Boston.

When you get back please send 50% of the sunshine to NJ. I can't take anything below 40 oF !!!!
    I used to live in NJ, not quite sure why I moved further north...
    The temperatures overnight this week will ensure my ring is solid concrete. Doesn't get enough sun during the day to defrost if it only gets up to 35F. So back to trotting on the roads...in the dark... what fun!

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    If you prefer a major airline and traditional sized aircraft-Southwest flies out of Providence RI, Manchester NH and Bradley...if any of those work for you. Connect thru Baltimore to whatever is closest to Palm Beach (do not think they go there at the moment...maybe Lauderdale?)

It's an option.
    I did book Southwest for the vacation week when the kids and hubby and everyone is coming down. They weren't quite as inexpensive in general as Jet Blue and Spirit (both flying out of Boston). So I have a mixture of all 3.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!

Thanks for the post. I too am having a mid-life crisis, I am 40, horse is 10, if we don't do it now, I never will!! After 2 years of not riding/showing, I am desparately trying to get ready to go to Ocala. I am fairly convinced if I cannot get down there and just show like crazy for a month straight I am never going to get back on track and I mine as well be done with the whole thing. Of course, 3 days after I jumped horse again his front leg blew up. Week off, we'll start him back this week and cross our fingers it was just the bruise the vet said it was. But you have inspired me!!

Quote Originally Posted by kimball1 View Post
    Thanks for the post. I too am having a mid-life crisis, I am 40, horse is 10, if we don't do it now, I never will!! After 2 years of not riding/showing, I am desparately trying to get ready to go to Ocala. I am fairly convinced if I cannot get down there and just show like crazy for a month straight I am never going to get back on track and I mine as well be done with the whole thing. Of course, 3 days after I jumped horse again his front leg blew up. Week off, we'll start him back this week and cross our fingers it was just the bruise the vet said it was. But you have inspired me!!
    The first time I went I was 40, horse was 13, kids were 3 and 5, I got laid off just in time so instead of going back and forth spent two months down there and had a blast. Don't think that will happen this time (kids are in 7th and 4th grade, a bit harder to blow off, plus what are the chances of me getting laid off at exactly the right moment twice in a row??), but still think it will be fun doing the back and forth. The horse I took last time is now retired, so I have a new young 'un. Go for it! Hope your horse cooperates and recovers fast!