The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Things said by the innocent observer

Ok. DH has been to waaaay more dressage than he wants to and has picked up an amazing amount of vocabulary in the process. He has watched many a lesson but he does not ride.

The other day after my lesson with my very lazy warmblood he commented, "What I just don't understand is, Did the Pony Express riders have to give the aid to canter all the time? I mean did they have to worry about the horse going forward?"

Guess not.

Gotta love our DHs!

Mine will kill me, because he has really gone all out learning everything about horses, but his question a couple years ago still has me ----

"Will the horses roll in the mud if they have their blankets on?"

Quote Originally Posted by redhorse5 View Post
    The other day after my lesson with my very lazy warmblood he commented, "What I just don't understand is, Did the Pony Express riders have to give the aid to canter all the time? I mean did they have to worry about the horse going forward?"
    Next time I am trying to convince someone* to stop nagging their horse I am TOTALLY using that line! (Not saying you were nagging - there are horses who are lazy and keep trying to stop on you, horses you're trying to get to bring the back legs under themselves more, etc. But it's a great one when someone IS nagging!)

My dad comes up with some great observations which are really true. It's fun to get an outsider's view sometimes!

*someone = my mom
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

My dad watched four years of lessons, and all he got was "You just kick.... and then you pull... Kick!... and then you pull!" hahahaha

I was making my DH watch video of a clinic I rode in where the instructor had to continously remind me to fix a certain problem. (I had told him I was struggling with this and asked him to focus on this somewhat and not let me slide). Anyways, after a little while my DH said "what do you pay this guy for, you clearly don't listen, he's told you the same thing about 100 times..."

If only it were that easy...

My DH says after me making silly excuses not to ride (ie: it's too cold, it's too windy, there's going to be ice falling off the indoor roof):

"If you are going to keep making excuses for not riding the darn horse, let's sell him! We paid way too much for him to just be sitting around!"

God love him, he's right! And it does kick me in the butt, make me put on my big girl panties and not be afraid of how my horse is going to act all the time. And every time I end up having a great ride!

My darling DH was taking a lesson a few weeks ago and could not get his stiff necked Arab to bend to anything. I too was riding an arab and had commented she was like riding a rubber ball with springs. He looked at the trainer and then pointed at me. "Why is mine not made out of rubber like hers?" He was even more put out when the lovely 10 y/o hopped on after him and had the same gelding not only bending but doing leg yields as well. I patted him on the back and consoled him with the fact that at 8 my DD rides better than me and welcome to the adult amateur ranks. :P
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

My husband worked as our hotwalker for awhile when we were first dating and one day a friend asked him if he was afraid of the horses? His reply "well, I do respect them. They have big, long faces full of teeth and metal feet". Still makes me laugh.

I was working a horse one day who was being unusually difficult and naughty with his behavior. My Dad (who happened to wander by the arena) said wisely "Perhaps you had better start using the roll-over method with that horse! Get him more obedient!" ....roll over method. hmmmm.... I asked him what on EARTH he was talking about. Rolling his eyes at my cluelessness he mimicked a horse putting its head by its knees "You know, ROLL OVER" he said "The one that has people all upset!"

Ahhhh. Rolkur! HAHAHAHA. Thanks Dad, great idea.

What a fun thread! Actually I was just thinking about how our poor DHs handle horse situations since we had an "incident" last weekend at a clinic. My DH does not come to shows or clinics often and really doesn't know much about horses. He was walking our dogs, on a leash, away from the barn and horses. He was walking along the road and headed out to the x-country course. The resident trainer was on a horse with her dog running loose behind her. The trainer shouted to my DH, "Would you SAY something?" My DH was like "Huh?" Trainer gets very exasperated, "SAY something! He doesn't know you're a person!" My DH thought she was talking about the dogs since I had just given him a 15 min lecture on NEVER letting our dogs near other peoples' horses and keeping them on a leash around people, so he replied "Are you talking about the dogs? What do you want me to say?" Very frustrated at this point, the trainer said "I guess that will have to do" and rode off in a very diva-like huff. My DH came back and said, "Horse people are rude!"

I explained to him that her horse might have been spooking at him and the dogs and she wanted him to say something to let the horse know he was there (although this was out in the open) and everything was ok. I don't really know, but my husband didn't like "horse" people before the clinic and he REALLY doesn't like them now. LOL
    Most friendships in the horse world are just an opinion away from doom.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbelina115 View Post
    I was working a horse one day who was being unusually difficult and naughty with his behavior. My Dad (who happened to wander by the arena) said wisely "Perhaps you had better start using the roll-over method with that horse! Get him more obedient!" ....roll over method. hmmmm.... I asked him what on EARTH he was talking about. Rolling his eyes at my cluelessness he mimicked a horse putting its head by its knees "You know, ROLL OVER" he said "The one that has people all upset!"

Ahhhh. Rolkur! HAHAHAHA. Thanks Dad, great idea.
    Hoppe, Hoppe, Reiter...
    Wenn er faellt dann schreit er...

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    forward is like love - you can never have enough

My dad has watched years upon years of dressage lessons for both me and my sister. What has he learned (and parrots at every oppertunity)?

"INSIDE LEG! OUTSIDE REIN!"

Thanks dad. A "good luck" would do just as nicely before trotting down the centerline....

My DH, after years of being exposed to my studying for, preparing and teaching Equine Management courses has taken to asking about supplements and feed and such. Nearly always, his first question will be, "Does that cause laminitis?" Not sure if he knows what that is, really, but he knows to ask the question!

He has also learned to offer as much encouragement as possible at shows. At my first show with my mare, after finishing a test that she liberally peppered with bucks and kicking out, he smiled and patted my leg and said, "You stayed on!" I laughed and told him that I wish that was a score on the test...with a coefficient!

Quote Originally Posted by amm2cd View Post

Thanks dad. A "good luck" would do just as nicely before trotting down the centerline....
    True. But you can't really go too far wrong with that advice can you!

I once had the bad idea that I would teach DH how to ride as he wanted to accompany me on trail rides. We bought a nice sensible OTTB for him to ride (actually, he was!)

DH trots around me in the ring in a nice western pleasure type jog, big loop in the reins, horse thinks this is just fine.

Me: "More leg, ask him to move on".
    DH: "Why?"
    Me: "Because he's not using himself properly"
    DH: "So?"
    Me: "He can trot much better than that"
    DH: "But I like this"
    Me: "BUT YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO LIKE IT"

As soon as those words left my mouth I realized it would be better if someone else taught him to ride!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    I was making my DH watch video of a clinic I rode in where the instructor had to continously remind me to fix a certain problem. (I had told him I was struggling with this and asked him to focus on this somewhat and not let me slide). Anyways, after a little while my DH said "what do you pay this guy for, you clearly don't listen, he's told you the same thing about 100 times..."

If only it were that easy...
    THAT is brilliant!!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Wink LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by amm2cd View Post
    My dad has watched years upon years of dressage lessons for both me and my sister. What has he learned (and parrots at every oppertunity)?

My x took the DD to her lesson a few weeks back. After the lesson DD told me he kept telling her to yield as she was going down the centerline and didn't understand why she wouldn't do it. I asked him WTH he was talking about and he went on to sidepassing in the worst line I have ever seen across the sidewalk. I rolled my eyes right along with my daughter and told him those are leg yields and she doesn't do them down the centerline. Then DD proceeded to show him what a leg yield is supposed to look like complete with steady head. Now if I can only get that in the saddle we'll be golden....
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

My DH this fall decided that it was time he learned to ride *gulp* So I pulled out one of our been there done that semi retired geldings, and started giving him some basic lessons.

After about 15 minutes, of me talking at him - he sighs and says, 'Hello, I did use my leg! It's not my fault he's got the memory of a goldfish. This is exhausting, Where's my ATV?"
    *snort*

My dad who is also a rider - was watching one day during a 'big event' ie, backing one of my young horses for the 1st time. I got on - me and horse stood there- nothing happened (just the way I like it) dad ponders this and then says "Should I throw a rock at him? He should at least DO something."

Gotta love family.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

My wonderful non-horsey husband has used the following word substitutes for equine terminology -- floundering and pilaffing!!

Great thread!

My DH doesn't ride, but he's been watching me for 38 yrs so has a pretty good eye.

One year at a big show in Wellington, he walked up to me while I was at the scoreboard checking out my score for a PSG class that I thought had gone pretty well.

He was absolutely beside himself as he sputtered, "That horse was so LONG, you did that test in Arena 1 and Arena 2 at the same time!"

Oy!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    True. But you can't really go too far wrong with that advice can you!
    You try convincing him that your actually supposed to use both reins and both legs!

My sister's pretest well wishing is "Dont die!"
    With that standard all shows have been resounding sucesses so far!