The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fluid in Fetlock

My 13 year old gelding came up lame the other day on his right front. At first I thought it was a stone bruise since he has flat feet and he was able to walk better (almost sound) after I picked out his feet because they were packed with rocks/mud. Now though, I wonder if there is a little something else going on.

I took these pictures with my phone, so they aren't great, but it shows a little bit of extra fluid in the right front fetlock as opposed to the left front.

Left front

Right Front

Right Front

It's those little "capsules" on the fetlock on either side, the little fluid filled bubbles.

Is this arthritis or anything to consider? Just add in Adequan or Legend? Or maybe he just wants something added in his shoes so he can't get rocks wedged up against his sole?

Is there any heat? How lame is he? If he isn't lame and it is not hot, I would cold hose, poltice, wrap and stall rest for a couple of days and see how he is. If it is warm and he is lame I would still do all that but call the vet out.
    If it is a strain stall rest will help it not get worse until your vet can evaluate.
    Hopefully it is nothing, but with swelling in the fetlock it usually is a strain of some kind(over extension?)
    Last year my 19yr old strained his right fetlock and he just needed 2 weeks rest and he was fine. He was puffy & warm and 1/5 lame.

If it was never there before, then suddenly appeared after being out in the field, I would also suspect a strain or sprain.

If these are new swellings and he is lame (at all) I would have a vet check him out. A strain or sprain may start out with a low level of Lameness and cause irreparable damage if left untreated. I would not ignore it.

He needs to have a skilled eye watch him trot.