The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Developing-world horse charities?

Hi folks, it's been forever since I've been around here--I've missed you all!

As the end of the year approaches, I see that I have a little money in the budget that I'd like to give to animal organizations, probably horse-related. I know there are so many worthy groups here in the US (including of course the great ones here on COTH!), and I do plan on giving to some of them, but this year I want to find an organization working in the developing world to include.

I was thinking of maybe a group that funds vet care or farrier training or something, and while I know I have heard of groups like this, I have no personal knowledge of individual groups. I don't want to just google some, because I worry about the legitimacy of groups I would find that way, so I was hoping one of you would be able to point me in the right direction!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apparently you can’t set the bar too low for people to crawl underneath.

The Brooke is the one I think of most--they provide welfare education for equine owners in developing countries.

Here's an article that provides an overview of three charities: http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-ne...e-poverty.aspx

If you are willing to do Christian missions, the Christian Veterinary Mission sends vets to train vet techs and provide care in developing countries. Keith and Kelly have been here in Haiti for years, no matter what disasters or other agencies come and go. They and staff like them have been the backbone of improving animal care in our area. They have been very helpful to me and are extremely well spoken of by the Haitian vet techs I know whom they've trained.
    Last edited by HorsesinHaiti; Dec. 5, 2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: clarity
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

The Brooke is very old and worthy; http://www.thebrooke.org/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I'm not religious but I'm open to religious groups as long as they're doing the work rather than proselytizing, which it sounds like they are.

The Brooke, much as I respect it, is not an option for me since I actually need the tax deduction for this to work, and it is not registered as a tax-exempt group in the US. I really wish it would establish a US-based foundation or something, though.

With CVM I see far more vet work than preaching, but they do both. Check out the link to their website in my first post and see if they would be compatible for you.

There's always HPI (Heifer Project). I helped with a three year project of theirs in our area (pre-quake). At least in Haiti their veterinary support to their projects really wasn't what I thought it needed to be. It turned out they depended on the local groups to have local arrangements for (too) much of the animal care support, and it showed. YMMV in other HPI countries, the program here was small and in transition.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by HorsesinHaiti View Post
    With CVM I see far more vet work than preaching, but they do both. Check out the link to their website in my first post and see if they would be compatible for you.
    I did read through their site, and while they clearly do a lot of great work, the site makes it sound like the vet stuff is the gateway drug they use to get people hooked on God. That's why I asked.

I think I have found a program that's a good fit, though: Project Samana (link is a PDF), a twice-yearly trip to Samana, Dominican Republic, to give vet care to large and small animals. It's run by the Massachusetts Veterinary Medical Association, and I am even acquainted with one of the vets who runs it, so that helps to know it's a legit and well-run program.

Many thanks for the suggestions!