The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bareback

I think I have figured out the reason why riding bareback is not as easy at 40 as it was at say... 16. The butt to back square footage ratio has reached an inverse and unpleasant proportion, making my 1000 pound horse feel more like a 600 pound pony. Or a Holstein. I mean, I'm not fat (per se), but compared to my lithe, teenage self who regularly won bareback equitation classes, and sailed through the fields sans saddle, there is a marked difference. How else would you explain the fact that a medium wide back now seems harder to stay centered on than a fence rail?

I have vowed to take my saddle to the house and store it until spring so I can take advantage of the winter fuzzies and conquer this raw truth. It will also do my horse good to learn to stand firm while his the potential passenger pummels him with elbows and heels in a vain attempt to fight gravity.

I may need a taller mounting block.
    ::If I was wrong don't you think I would know it?::

ha ha thats cute, I am only 23 but I haven't really ridden bareback much. It's a good idea to put the saddle away for the winter. I have found that my horse behaves better bareback than with a saddle. He is calmer and more relaxed, I can actually enjoy myself on a trail if I'm bareback! My saddle may be bothering him.

But my horse has REALLY HIGH WITHERS! OUCH! So I put a thick saddle pad, with a sheepskin half pad, with a thick bareback pad on top just to be able to ride. And after a long ride, but butt still hurts.

Good For you for going bareback! With practice it will get batter! I'm happy for you! I want a comfy horse to do it too!

It's opposite IMO. My skinny butt means my butt bones dig into my horses back (and his spine into my butt). However, my dads padded butt protects both him and the horse.

However, I will admit that on a horse wider then my stick, I am better than he is. Maybe it has less to do with the riders porportions and more to do with the ratio between butt size and horse. AKA a big butt on a bony horse works and a bony butt on a big horse works well.

I miss riding bareback! My last horse loved it, and I rode him bareback all winter, but my current horse HATES it. He scoots his butt underneath himself and tries to bolt
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I prefer to ride bareback but model mare has a helluva spook and winter ghosts make it unwise. She has the best little trot and her mom prefers her a bit porky so it works. If she was in good weight I am sure I would be in pain as she too has rather sharp withers. I cannot for the life of me stay on with any kind of padding thicker than a towel and even that doesn't work as well for me. I therefore sport bareback but with lovely redish brown hair all over when I get off. Poor bony no butt DD does not fair as well on bareback though pony is substantial enough to cushion her a bit. I on the other hand have ample padding and am grateful for it after a few hours bareback.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I ride bareback whenever I need to school myself in being centered. Tb spines aren't very forgiving when you are off-center!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    a big butt on a bony horse works and a bony butt on a big horse works well.
    Yet more proof that opposites attract??

I loved riding bareback, but for the last few years have not had the nerve to ride much even WITH a saddle. ...soon... I hope *very* soon...

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I think I have figured out the reason why riding bareback is not as easy at 40 as it was at say... 16. The butt to back square footage ratio has reached an inverse and unpleasant proportion, making my 1000 pound horse feel more like a 600 pound pony. Or a Holstein. I mean, I'm not fat (per se), but compared to my lithe, teenage self who regularly won bareback equitation classes, and sailed through the fields sans saddle, there is a marked difference. How else would you explain the fact that a medium wide back now seems harder to stay centered on than a fence rail?

I have vowed to take my saddle to the house and store it until spring so I can take advantage of the winter fuzzies and conquer this raw truth. It will also do my horse good to learn to stand firm while his the potential passenger pummels him with elbows and heels in a vain attempt to fight gravity.

I may need a taller mounting block.

I went to a step ladder years ago.

I was really amazed how much I could feel the muscles on each side of his spine reacting. And also how hard it was for me to get my pelvis and core properly positioned and my rib cage raised. The real shocker was that I didn't feel like he filled out my legs. I didn't know what to do with them. This is a horse who wears a medium wide tree. He's fairly substantial to sit on.

Last winter I rode bareback once just for fun, and got the opportunity to ride out one of those arena door spooks (and survived). This fall I rode a bit without stirrups as a sort of segway into some bareback riding. Saturday went pretty well and I really do plan on going without my saddle for awhile just to kill time in our dinky indoor this winter.

My horse stepped forward when I scrambled up, but he was pretty honest considering he has been known to take advantage of my not hitting my right stirrup on the first try. It will be good for him to learn to deal with bareback mounting. I'm shopping for a side saddle, so the flailing has only just begun.

I'm riding bareback 1x/week now because a) sometimes it's too dang cold for me to tack up or spend a ton of time outside and b) I really need to fix my seat. The first three weeks were BAD, but I'm finally starting to see some benefit and becoming more comfortable as I keep working at it. Whether it translates over to my with-saddle work, I'm not sure yet.

I find that for some odd reason my horse's spine pushes up into the crack of my 45 year-old woman @ss and girl parts far more easily (and painfully) than it did when said @ss was attached to a 16 year-old body...
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I used to jump 3'3" bareback. Yeah. I dunno. I will never again have the inner thigh muscles I had at 15. I still love to ride bareback, though. It's my favorite. I only put a saddle on if I have to.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Apparently you can’t set the bar too low for people to crawl underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    I find that for some odd reason my horse's spine pushes up into the crack of my 45 year-old woman @ss and girl parts far more easily (and painfully) than it did when said @ss was attached to a 16 year-old body...
    I guess middle age spread isn't specific to weight gain

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I guess middle age spread isn't specific to weight gain
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."