The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Round Pen Panels for Paddock?

Need to put up a temp. paddock for my 6year old mare while I build smaller paddocks inside my huge pastures. Can I use round pen panels to make a temp. paddock. It would come out being the same size as a small paddock, enough to run and move around (just for one horse) she would have plenty of grass, and can see other horses from where the pen is. Is this kind of paddock acceptable? for short term, maybe 2 months?

Sure, there are places where horses live in pipe-panel paddocks.

Some round pen panels have a gap between panels, where they attach to each other, that is just wide enough for a fractious horse to kick up and get a foot caught. There are horror stories about these injuries, as you can imagine. A quick fix is to get some flexible 4" drain pipe at your local home supply place, and make a split length-wise, so it can be fit over the top pipe rail across the joints between panels. Provides some protection from this kind of issue. If you have the nice panels, like Priefert panels, that have no gap at the joint, they you're good.

Horses can get injured in pipe panel paddocks. But then, horses can get injured in almost anything.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Absolutely....almost all horses out here live in pipe panel corrals/pens.....wood is way too expensive and too easily eaten or otherwise destroyed to make fences out of it. Panels make rearranging a place fairly easy. If possible get panels with right angle upper corners that fit closely together.. happens rarely but a horse can get a foot caught in the gap between curved cornered tops....and having had it happen with a mule I can tell you that it is not fun....and did a lot of damage to the mule as well. You can use the ones with rounded corners if you wire a piece of 2 x 4 across the gap (if two panels in a straight line) or use something like flex-pipe (a kind of corrugated drain pipe) and split one side lengthwise part way, fit the split ends over the top rail on either side (can use over a piece of 2 x 4 as well) of the gap or on each panel in a corner with the flex doing a bend at the gap. You can get panels with a drop pin connection (easy, horses can and some times do steal the pins for fun) or with a saddle clamp that you bolt together (I find these harder to put together and inclined to loosen sometimes and then to twist if the land isn't flat/level).

I just did this recently when I brought Patrick home before we finished the fence. Here's what I learned:

Look closely at how the panels attach to each other. They might need extra reinforcement to keep a horse from opening them. (Specifically the ones where you drop pins through loops on both pieces are very easy to jiggle open.) I now have heavy duty zip ties on the loops and a short piece of chain with a quick-link on every section.

Think about setting a few posts and securely attaching the panels to the posts. A determined (or frightened) horse can hit them hard enough to move and/or lift them, and get out.

Since you are doing this *inside* an existing pasture I have far fewer concerns than with my setup, which was the only thing between the horse and complete freedom, since we are not yet completely perimeter fenced. I worried almost constantly until we finished that fence!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Default ABSOLUTELY `

ABSOLUTELY `

SAFE ` DURABLE AND BEST OF ALL =

MOVABLE
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

We had to set up one for a recovery as he healed and was allowed out gradually. It worked awesome. Just check the panel attachments and make certain they are secure.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I use panels for the outside fencing on my sacrifice paddock and for the smaller paddock inside that I use to keep the old man away from the rowdy ones.
    The outside fencing has posts, set at every junction like any paddock would have. The panels are set with the posts behind the joints, to eliminate that gap. I use heavy parachute cord and tie the fencing to the posts. It makes it easy to move them if I need to open anything up.
    For the inner paddock, the run in shed one, I used chain attachment panels. I added a couple of posts along the way for stability.
    I can make it larger or smaller simply by adding more panels along the end. It really works great for the old man to hang out and not get picked on.

ETA: You can overlap two ends and tie them together if you are leery of the gaps. It works pretty well.