The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default Does anybody have Gypsy Vanners in NH or VT?

    I'm totally totally in love with Gypsy Vanners and would like to try one! I was volunteering at Equine Affaire in MA and saw them and was so impressed, but, I couldn't get over there. Let me know whatever you can about them There big feet and spots look like dream horses to me



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep. 2, 2003
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Sending you a PM...
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    5,413

    Default

    Just get a fat paint that's really hairy and save yourself some money, LOL.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2001
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    1,997

    Default

    I heard they are magickal ... wait I mean liked by suckers.
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr. 4, 2006
    Location
    An American Living In Ireland
    Posts
    5,658

    Default

    If you find them too pricey in the States, you can always go to the horse marts in Ireland and pick one up for 100 euros. Factor in the ship including QT, and you have the low low price of around $8000. Actually there are plenty to adopt from the shelters. Guess that bubble didn't last too long.

    Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

    "I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    May. 12, 2000
    Location
    NE TN, USA
    Posts
    6,201

    Default

    Opening a cold one and kicking back for the train wreck...

    Incidentally, a friend raises them and they are (for the most part) very tractable, friendly and beautiful little horses. But it takes a lot of work to keep them pretty, especially if you live where there's a lot of red clay.
    Last edited by Frank B; Dec. 5, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2004
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloAgain View Post
    I heard they are magickal ... wait I mean liked by suckers.
    Well then in this case, we have a winner



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    Well then in this case, we have a winner

    Kim I'm a bit perplexed as why you are trolling me all over this forum I would like to know what the issue is at hand



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    24,664

    Default

    There are a couple GV breeding/sales farms not too far from me here in CT.

    I see the horses here and there at different events or even getting to trails walking up the side of the roads.

    Of the ones I've met or seen, I have yet to meet one that wasn't the calmest, most laid back horse ever. Also seem pretty friendly.

    Although I'm guessing they're seriously easy keeper air ferns because I also haven't seen one that wasn't pretty fat.

    I've even seen them at team penning once in a while. One young lady used to bring hers to team penning and ride it bareback after the cows. It was a really slow horse (they all seem a tad on the slow side) but went happily gallumping after the cows.

    They do look like a serious butt load of grooming work though.

    Eye catching pretty family type horses. Worth the expense? Not to me, but people are buying them.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormgsd View Post
    Kim I'm a bit perplexed as why you are trolling me all over this forum I would like to know what the issue is at hand
    There's nothing wrong with the horses except their price. They were a fad and were highly overpriced for what you get, which is a fat hairy cart horse. I think they're cute as hell and would LOVE a fat hairy cart horse They are the brunt of jokes here on CoTH, jokes made by many people who've never ridden one.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2004
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    The joke isn't the horse, chaltagor, don't worry! I, too, would love a fat, hairy cart horse. In fact yesterday DH and I were at a local sale and I was unsuccessfully trying to talk him into staying to bid on one particularly sweet fat, hairy cart horse. It was a no-go



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,712

    Default

    No kidding, that's what I said? Hello?

    Oops, forgot, ASB in user name, disregard the post.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2004
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    WTF?



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the horses except their price. They were a fad and were highly overpriced for what you get, which is a fat hairy cart horse. I think they're cute as hell and would LOVE a fat hairy cart horse They are the brunt of jokes here on CoTH, jokes made by many people who've never ridden one.

    I see, but, why would people make jokes about these stunning horses I'm bound and determined to ride one! There is no reason to say mean things about any breed Gypsy, ASB, or whatever you happen love



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb. 6, 2003
    Location
    NorthEast
    Posts
    24,664

    Default

    Well, you'll need wide hips to ride one. They have table backs...much like other similar built horses. I'd imagine saddle shopping isn't easy for them.

    mainly the joking about them on this BB is from an epic thread a long while that was poking gentle fun about many of the GV websites and their marketing skills of showing the horses off by wearing fairy costumes and posing draped all over them.

    A breeder/GV farm came on and went bat-crap crazy making all sorts of ridiculous claims and stories. Then made up their own alters to support them. Meanwhile claiming the high prices for the GVs was because they excel in each and every discipline and they were majikal.

    IIRC the alters were called out by the mod, the ranting person used the drunken houseguest theory or the someone hacked onto my account and impersonated me being crazy excuse and hilarity ensued for quite some time.

    So it's not that anyone hates the GV horses. It's the epic thread that started the joking about them coupled with the fact that so many breeders charge a ridiculous amount for very common cart cobs that are very cheap in other countries. And for breeders that claim the horse will hit top levels in all sports. And pose draped on a horse wearing a princess outfit.

    nothing wrong with the horses themselves, just quite a few of the breeders/importers of them are a tad insane.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    98

    Default

    I can send you some info if you like. I know one of the breeders in NH. I absolutely adore my Gypsy.
    My herd: Sonata my Morgan mare
    Toby my Gypsy cob gelding



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default

    OH well thanks Misty Blue I just want to ride a pretty one around



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2010
    Location
    Franconia NH
    Posts
    419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonatyOne View Post
    I can send you some info if you like. I know one of the breeders in NH. I absolutely adore my Gypsy.

    Yes please! I just want to meet one in person They are so beautiful



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan. 18, 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada and South Australia
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Well, you'll need wide hips to ride one. They have table backs...much like other similar built horses. I'd imagine saddle shopping isn't easy for them.

    mainly the joking about them on this BB is from an epic thread a long while that was poking gentle fun about many of the GV websites and their marketing skills of showing the horses off by wearing fairy costumes and posing draped all over them.

    A breeder/GV farm came on and went bat-crap crazy making all sorts of ridiculous claims and stories. Then made up their own alters to support them. Meanwhile claiming the high prices for the GVs was because they excel in each and every discipline and they were majikal.

    IIRC the alters were called out by the mod, the ranting person used the drunken houseguest theory or the someone hacked onto my account and impersonated me being crazy excuse and hilarity ensued for quite some time.

    So it's not that anyone hates the GV horses. It's the epic thread that started the joking about them coupled with the fact that so many breeders charge a ridiculous amount for very common cart cobs that are very cheap in other countries. And for breeders that claim the horse will hit top levels in all sports. And pose draped on a horse wearing a princess outfit.

    nothing wrong with the horses themselves, just quite a few of the breeders/importers of them are a tad insane.
    This definitely clears up some things then! lol Any idea if this thread is still around in favorites or know what it was called?

    P.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2005
    Location
    Spotsylvania, VA
    Posts
    13,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormgsd View Post
    I see, but, why would people make jokes about these stunning horses I'm bound and determined to ride one! There is no reason to say mean things about any breed Gypsy, ASB, or whatever you happen love
    FWIW, I have ridden one. For six days in Ireland. Sam was as LAZY as can be, his soup plate hoves hit the ground like pile drivers in his bone jarring teeth rattling sewing machine trot and his reluctanty canter was enough to make me seasick.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/carolp32...67484302738706

    I would not have taken him as a gift.

    On a good note, he was unflappable and his soup plate hooves were great in boggy terraine.
    Last edited by carolprudm; Dec. 6, 2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Add picture
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.



Similar Threads

  1. Gypsy Vanners
    By Huntin'Fool in forum Hunting
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Mar. 29, 2011, 01:03 PM
  2. Free Gypsy Vanners anyone??
    By Ziutek in forum Off Course
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb. 28, 2011, 12:53 PM
  3. Gypsy Vanners
    By Madelaine33 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: May. 13, 2010, 12:22 PM
  4. Breeding Gypsy Vanners for dressage.
    By Horsecrazy27 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2009, 02:52 PM
  5. Gypsy Vanners-What do you think?
    By Etcher1 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: Feb. 11, 2008, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness