The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jointed Hackamore Bit

Has anyone ever use these before??

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Jointed_...Bit_p/2017.htm

a friend bought one and we really couldnt figure out how to use it or how to hang it from the bridle. any pictures would be greatly appreciated
    Cindy

Make any mistakes going forward!

Looks like you need a 'double bridle' and a rein adapter...no clue where to get those, but hopefully this pic helps you figure it out!

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...terfly-big.jpg

...I just got it off of google...

Good Luck!

That is two completly separte things on that horse a plain hackamore and a plain snaffle
    Cindy

I believe that the cheek pieces attach to the slots on the nose part and you can have two sets of reins, one on the upper "bit" area and one on the lower for differing amounts of pressure, one mainly hackamore action, one more bit.

I just got one (the double-jointed one). I checked with supershorty on here who uses a similar thing on her mare... cheekpieces go on the slots on the noseband, curb chain goes on the upper rings of the bit shanks, and reins go on the lower rings. But I'm sure you could use two reins, one on the big weirdly shaped ring and one on the bottom.

Cheekpieces attach to the upper circular rings (the ring in the top(ish) left corner in the posted picture). Main rein attaches to the middle "ring" area (where they would exert the most pressure directly on the snaffle, if that makes sense) and then second set of reins attach to the bottom ring (for the gag/hackamore action).

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I just got one (the double-jointed one). I checked with supershorty on here who uses a similar thing on her mare... cheekpieces go on the slots on the noseband, curb chain goes on the upper rings of the bit shanks, and reins go on the lower rings. But I'm sure you could use two reins, one on the big weirdly shaped ring and one on the bottom.
    hmmm....interesting....this is why I love this board! The trainer I work with the most frequently said he would put the curb chain on the slots if necessary (though it's not with my guy, so we didn't use one the few times I rode with a combo bit). He explained to me why he put the reins in the rings instead (something about the direction of pressure). I always figured there were plenty of rings and slots so you could configure it whichever way you wanted to. But now that I look at the picture I think that you guys are correct, and I'm wondering if my trainer really was thinking of a particular use or just plain wrong? It's kind of funny because I've been riding in a hackamore and a separate snaffle lately and of course you hook cheekpieces to the same place on the hackamore (i.e. on the "slots" not on the rings).
    Last edited by PNWjumper; Dec. 4, 2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: another thought....

Default Picture?

Can anyone post a link to a picture of one on a horse or hung from the bridle?
    Cindy

Here you go, this is something very similar that I used for barrel racing. Shows the appropriate placing.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...hiteronnie.jpg

I drew on the picture of how I believe it would attach, it is very similar to what I have used in barrel racing. My paint skills are horrible.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d7...nMe/bridle.jpg
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

If you're still wondering I have a bit that is pretty much the same in the barn that's all hooked up if you still want a picture.
    To be loved by a horse, or by any animal, should fill us with awe-
    for we have not deserved it.
    Marion Garretty

AmandaandTuff, nice artistic skills . That's how I hooked mine up. Rode in it for the first time tonight, and my horse went very well in it.

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys!!
    Cindy

Hey Cindy, I think I have seen these also hung from the headstall like a sidepull -- with a connector from both the bit ring on the top, and the noseband ring on the top.
    You know how a sidepull has the cheekpiece go from the ear down to the mouth then y's into two - one on the bit and one on the noseband.
    I can't draw a picture but let me see if I can find a sidepull that sort of illustrates it.
    http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/1070/P-1020
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
    Can anyone post a link to a picture of one on a horse or hung from the bridle?
    I have mine set up this way:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7538790_n.jpg

You can't really see the curb chain, but it's pretty clear where it is.

Michael Wynne Guest

Noctis is correct with the fitting. I would use a leather strap as the curb they tend to work better particularly if your horse is a TB