The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My boots have made me lame....

Please tell me someone has the answer to this problem. I fear that my much loved Ariat filed boots may have to be trashed because I have now been "lame" for two weeks.

I always wear them to the barn and they are about three years old. I've never had issues with them. Last time I rode I noticed the boot really hurt me below the Achilles tendon on the upper part of my heel. The sensible thing to do would have been to try to fix it but I ignored it. Mistake. It has hurt a lot ever since.

There is no bruise or damage to the skin that I can see. If I put on a shoe and it hits that spot (most shoes fall in that spot), I can't walk. It HURTS. (And I am on Percocet! For an unrelated issue mind you, but never the less I would have thought it would have given some relief.)

I tried to wear them again today. Ouch. It seems maybe the leather is suddenly folding in that spot digging into my heel.

Anyone had this issue. Seems strange a normally wonderful pair of boots would all of the sudden be torture devices.

I got a 22...meet you out back

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

lol
    This is what my fear is! Maybe I'll take you up on that...kill them before they kill me.

lol, I keep thinking Thelwell..

sorry I am liek totally useless
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Fill them up with water and walk around until they're dry. It's not only a great way to break in boots, but it's a great way to RE-break in boots that are suddenly hurting.

It probably wouldn't hurt to try to figure out why they suddenly started hurting.....thicker socks, different breeches, gained weight, lost weight, different spurs, etc. But I've had the odd pair of boots do the same thing for no apparent reason before (and in the same place).

Good luck!

And if they are not completely dry when you take them off, stuff them with newspaper (firmly) which will fill out the creases and hopefully help smooth them back out.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post

I was thinking we could try hock injections first.

Dawn

Put them on, with the socks and pants you usually wear with them. Dunk your lower legs (ie with boots on) in a tub of warm water. Do this early in the morning and wear them until they are dry. Ride in them, walk around in them, stand on the stairs on your toes and drop your heels, bend your knees. When they are 1/2 dry, slather them with Leather Honey (leatherhoney.com) or Kocholine and wear them till they are dry. Usually it takes from about 7am till 10 pm. Do not take them off!! Guaranteed, comfy boots will be yours.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Could you have developed a bone spur/heel spur? I think you may want to have your doctor check you out - ain't no amount of soaking your boots/feet in warm water, walking around in them all day, etc. will help fix a bone spur. Ouch!