The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    As someone who runs a rescue - I can tell you I as much time working to make sure everything is above board and showing potential donors we're not one of "them" (the bad rescues) as I do on actual horse care.

For years, I said we did not need regulations in rescue. I do not have the time to jump through hoops to prove what I already know: that I run a quality organization. Unfortunately, I no longer feel that way - there are so many people who see the unregulated rescue industry as a way to make an easy dollar, that we're going to have to have some kind of regulation process (which will ultimately make it hard on the good guys).

I get emails every month asking me how to get start up money for rescues. How to get someone to buy the land to operate a rescue on. How to get paid to do rescue. The answer? There's no start up funds and the rest takes a LOT of hard work (you work waaaaay harder than you get paid for).
    Ahhh Jen......remember the good old days? Seems like there is a "rescue" popping up on every corner nowadays. People never used to market their horses as rescues because that made them seem less valuable. Now it's the term in sale ads seems to be used as a pat on the back for a buck! We were called bunny huggers by the kill buyers because we tried to help horses.

To this day, I don't see how any rescue can "make money" on rescuing horses. Feed, vet, farrier, rehab, water, emergencies, hauling, quarantine, meds, supplements, safe enclosures, covers, etc., etc. take up every cent of the donations......as they should. Adoption fees don't come close to offsetting the cost of care. The reward is in helping the horse, the adopter, the kid who always dreamed.

I remember attending a rescue conference in Kentucky years ago that was the first get together for rescues across the country. Days End, ReRun, United Pegasus, Last Chance, TIER....and others. A group that filled a small banquet room at a hotel.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    This was apparent from the beginning when the slaughter houses were closed and horses glutted the market with no place to go....add a bad economy, changes in demographics and it was inevitable that there will be those that just look for the dollar signs and do it tugging on heartstrings of horse lovers.
    Do you "insider types" think the rescue industry has "matured" to the point that it's ready for regulation? I'm not asking if it always should have been done. I'm asking, as a matter of really obvious need and pragmatism, if now is the time, or if organizers would do well to wait even a little longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    That's just it, there is no list. We need a national asshat registry so we can keep them all straight.
    "National Asshat Registery.com" Now someone should register that domain name. It's catchy.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    "National Asshat Registery.com" Now someone should register that domain name. It's catchy.
    too many swear filters would cancel it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Can you just imagine the sheer volume of that list?

Quote Originally Posted by Whoanellie View Post
    Ahhh Jen......remember the good old days?
    As I recall, we had some crazies then, too. They seem to have mostly disappeared. And now the crazies have multiplied.

We sure have learned a lot in the last 12 or so years, haven't we? It is making me feel old.

Now it's the term in sale ads seems to be used as a pat on the back for a buck! We were called bunny huggers by the kill buyers because we tried to help horses.
    I remember when I had to describe what a rescue was. Now, everyone has heard of rescues. NOW that's good and bad. The bad part is so many of them have had bad experiences that it hurts us all.

Adoption fees don't come close to offsetting the cost of care. The reward is in helping the horse, the adopter, the kid who always dreamed.
    Our foster homes pay the cost of feed and part of the farrier cost (I'm hoping to increase what we cover next year. I'm waiting for our year end numbers to see how we're doing). Even with that, our adoption fees don't cover our direct costs: partial farrier, de-wormer and vet care. Most of our fees are $300 or less.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

It is my understanding that Diana Murphy, Voice for Horses, Ohio, generates over $450K per year "saving" horses from Frank Carpenter's kill pen.

What actually happens is that they generate bleeding hearts on Facebook, get private individuals to "bail" a horse out of the #10 pen which profits everyone involved because not only does that innocent party pay the actual kill price,but an inflated amount so everyone's pocket gets padded. I became suspicious when the price for these "killer horses" was escalated far beyond the going price of a regular saddle horse.

Once an unsuspecting person spends their hard earned cash on "bail" they are required to complete an adoption application, which subsequently gets denied. Then the "rescue" owns the horse free and clear. The horses is then re-sold to a second party (I call it double dipping) and that price is pure profit. These horses are re-sold even when sick or dying. I have read stories of women who sacrificed money they did not have to spend on huge vet bills only to have their "adopted" horse die anyway. In the event that a horse is too sick to re-sell, Diana Murphy will dump them off at an animal shelter, who just happens to have a kill policy, so the horse that someone else "bailed" for their safety is right back at risk again and she does not have the expense of caring for a horse she cannot profit from.

There are many details about this circulating on Facebook and the Alex Brown Forum. You have to wade through the shit to get to the facts, however. One source of information is Sally Schrock on Facebook. Verify your facts.

The Star-Ledger's equine columnist Nancy Jaffer featured some local rescues and discussed the Sharon Catalano-Crumb case here: http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/in...ng_be_car.html
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

Yup, I join you ladies from rescue with the same issues. I spend as much time now on paperwork as I do almost anything. Jenn, the same people must hang up from you and then phone me. Why they think donors will buy them land and build them fancy barns so they can have a rescue/sale barn is beyond me. And how much will it pay them???????????????? One year only that we were in the black. One year. And that was with app. 1000 dollars if I remember correctly.

Its a sad day, a sad day. As more and more of these rescues are shut down for illegal doings, and more shut down for lack of funding as well, we suffer all the more.

I tried to become one of the accredited sanctuaries because I thought it was for the right reasons. IT became another force for which I was to give the money I didnt have much like the Dept of Ag. I would then operate under the basic rules and regulations which they feel necessary to appease the general population and no one knowing a thing about the horses here. It might be a good idea down the road but it had too many kinks to work out itself for me to continue with it. Guidestar and Network for good are enough for me to keep happy. Basically the same idea.

I am tired, it is very very cold out tonight and I am burned out. Another rescue rip off, one more for us to answer for.

Kudo's to the rescues who can and try to still hang in there. NO get rich quick scheme thats for sure.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

alwinvt Guest

Default verity of sources...

Just thought that you might want to be apprised of who you refer to as a source. Please follow this link to learn about Sally Schrock. I do not point this out to attack her personally, but only to bring to light her situation. AC4H and VFH do succeed in saving scores of horses each year. I have a horse from them - it has taken a lot to bring him back to health and I am training him, but he is a "rescue" so I had no expectation that I was getting a "bargain" on a horse. I love him dearly. Most of the money that goes through the rescues is payment to the killbroker, who has bought the horses at auction. There is more to all of this than meets the eye. Sally is after the rescues because they denied her adoption of one of their horses. If you follow this link, you will probably understand why. http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/new...-deemed-unsafe

Quote Originally Posted by alwinvt View Post
    Most of the money that goes through the rescues is payment to the killbroker, who has bought the horses at auction. There is more to all of this than meets the eye. Sally is after the rescues because they denied her adoption of one of their horses. If you follow this link, you will probably understand why. http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/new...-deemed-unsafe
    They did more than deny her a horse... maybe you should check YOUR sources?
    As for the money paypal'd to these 'rescues' being payment to the broker.. who's to say? How do you know where it goes?
    And if what you say is true, that the money that goes through the rescue is payment to the broker,... that means the broker made in the area of $200-400k the past few years [per this rescues 990s]?

http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...060e4bab-Z.pdf
    Their '09 990 for example, on Guidesdtar, reports income at > $420,000.

Wow, nice little side business for Brian Moore, I guess.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Jan. 20, 2011 at 03:08 PM.

I thought I remembered something about Voice for Horses... they are taking horses from the broker and then dumping them on a Humane Society?

http://www.majesticequinerescue.org/...illbuyers.html
    '34 horses taken to the Wyandott Humane Society and several other horses dropped off at surrounding humane society's when Diane Murphy's farm was foreclosed on'
    http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexb...es?msg=52668.1
    There are other allegations outlined on the websites I linked.
    Alwinvt, can you speak to the allegations?
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Jan. 20, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

alwinvt Guest

Default in reply

I am not going to try to speak for the rescues or for Brian Moore. All I know is that I got the horse that I paid for, and even if he was not is very good condition when I got him, he was in better condition than if he had gone to slaughter. I have no idea how much Moore makes or how much he spends to buy his horses and I have no interest in going to New Holland to see the depravity there. I do not think that tearing down the rescues benefits the horses. I would prefer that they be able to spend their time and resources caring for and finding homes for horses rather than having to constantly fight against specious claims. It is not a pretty world, this one of horse auctions and slaughter, but there are those who are trying to do something positive and they may very well be quite imperfect at it, but they are saving lives. I just ask that those who are so determined to prevent them from doing so might better serve the horses by helping prevent horses from ending up in the hands of killbrokers in the first place. If they have all of the answers and think that they can do a better job of it, then go ahead and go to the auctions and outbid the BM's of the world and find homes for all of the horses. It would not be an easy task, by any means, but they are welcome to it.

I am not going to try to speak for the rescues or for Brian Moore. All I know is that I got the horse that I paid for, and even if he was not is very good condition when I got him, he was in better condition than if he had gone to slaughter. I have no idea how much Moore makes or how much he spends to buy his horses and I have no interest in going to New Holland to see the depravity there. I do not think that tearing down the rescues benefits the horses. I would prefer that they be able to spend their time and resources caring for and finding homes for horses rather than having to constantly fight against specious claims. It is not a pretty world, this one of horse auctions and slaughter, but there are those who are trying to do something positive and they may very well be quite imperfect at it, but they are saving lives. I just ask that those who are so determined to prevent them from doing so might better serve the horses by helping prevent horses from ending up in the hands of killbrokers in the first place. If they have all of the answers and think that they can do a better job of it, then go ahead and go to the auctions and outbid the BM's of the world and find homes for all of the horses. It would not be an easy task, by any means, but they are welcome to it.
    Blah, blah, blah.....

Have some more Kool-Aid......

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

alwinvt Guest

ahhhh more civility... hope you are having fun...

You do not want these rescue maligned, and say you can not speak for them, so why come here, and sign up simply to smear Ms. Schrock on a thread that was already dead 5 weeks? Especially considering that it looks like you really don't know anything about this 'rescue' beyond your own personal experience buying a horse.

As for what others do about saving horses lives... stick around a while, you'll see COTH'ers do quite a bit.

alwinvt Guest

Hmmm... I guess I figured that getting a horse through them was fairly direct experience. I don't claim that they do everything perfectly by any means, but please, do excuse me for wanting to encourage people to be informed about whom they consider factual sources. As I said before, I did not wish to attack SS personally, but I did want people to know a bit about where she is coming from (clearly the news story is only a tiny piece of the puzzle). I have clearly touched a nerve. I thought this was a public forum, excuse me for wanting participate and share a news story... Hopefully the real truth will all come out in the end, it usually does.

Pauline C Guest

Pauline C Guest

Not only that. I hear she seeks for attention and faked a disapearing act

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_16538191

Not one, but TWO threads with dueling houseguests in one day? I can die a happy woman now!
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline C View Post
    Not only that. I hear she seeks for attention and faked a disapearing act

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_16538191
    So many people are falling on hard times these days... I wonder, how did she lose her job? Her home? Truly sad.